Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

18 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Can I be petty and complain about one more thing?  Looking at the new font side by side with the Bengals' new font is annoying.  Obviously they aren't the same, but there's enough similarities to make you wonder why they would put these on two separate uniforms designed less than one year apart.  Do you honestly believe they started from scratch each time?

spacer.png

You can be petty, I'll be petty with you - this is extremely lazy and pathetic from Nike.  First of all, the Bengals previous CR unis with the 1-color block numbers were extremely perfect, so that was the 1st foul.  Then, you take a franchise like Washington, one of the oldest franchises in the league, rebrand it with a military theme, and then give it skinny, curvy, feminine number sets?  

I dig the stencil, but just really poor.  

All they had to do was adapt either of these:

a2218f1ea0c5afbe5fe10551465d5802.jpg

• Like 4

On 2022-02-13 at 2:08 AM, Sykotyk said:

They already have the three stars. Four more would be utterly confusing. 

That, and having stars that represent championships is generally a bad idea. Either the logo has to be redesigned regularly to incorporate more stars, or the stars on the badge become a reminder that you haven't won anything for years.

Unless the star is for a title that has extraordinary significance (such as Brazilian soccer club Chapecoense incorporating a star into their logo commemorating their 2016 team), then putting stars on the logo to represent championsips isn't a good idea.

On 2/13/2022 at 9:36 PM, Bill0813 said:

I'm sure I ain't the only one who's noticed the team put the white away uniform up front (and center) in their compilation graphics...I'm sure there's also a specific reason for that, given how uncommon (actually, up until now, unheard of) that is.

On 2/13/2022 at 5:37 PM, MJD7 said:

I noticed that, too. Even Washington’s wordmark is similar to a font the Bengals have been using on socials:

722T4hz.jpg
jBgC5do.jpg

(Notice the cuts in the C and the S).

Well, these brands were being developed at the same time, so that may have had something to do with it. It's also not the first time. Reference the jersey numbers on the Jets and Jaguars' uniforms...both of those came out about the same time, and about the only difference between the two number fonts is the Jaguars' open-top 4 (speaking of stuff that came from out of nowhere) and the little extended piece of the vertical bar of their 5. 

The above, however, is why I feel the Bengals really should have leaned into the custom font they already have...that would have achieved far greater uniqueness than the obvious chop-job font with weird angles on one terminal that they have now. (I'm still lost as to Nike's obsession with doing stuff like that...which is why, despite everything else going on with Washington's uniform set, I'm actually relieved to not see any of that going on with Washington's number font.)

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

40 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Not sure how many of you are familiar with Washington players, but…

Those three dudes are definitely not Jonathan Allen, Terry McLaurin, or Chase Young

spacer.png

So there are stripes on the helmet and jersey but none on the pants and they insist on using solid  stripeless socks? Just make it make sense. The W on the front  would be fine if it was lower but its just floating in no mans land. Just look how Dartmouth does it.spacer.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

So there are stripes on the helmet and jersey but none on the pants and they insist on using solid  stripeless socks? Just make it make sense. The W on the front  would be fine if it was lower but its just floating in no mans land. Just look how Dartmouth does it.spacer.png

This also perfectly illustrates why they used an older Schutt Air XP helmet to show off the Black lid; imagine how bad that decal will look (and last) on a SpeedFlex or F7?   

It'll be above the first section on both.  Good god, do these people even think?

1 hour ago, Volt said:

This also perfectly illustrates why they used an older Schutt Air XP helmet to show off the Black lid; imagine how bad that decal will look (and last) on a SpeedFlex or F7?   

It'll be above the first section on both.  Good god, do these people even think?

Well that is also the same helmet model and mask of one of their top players wears, who just happened to be part of the unveiling. Could just be a coincidence that they chose to outfit him in the black set or it's all staged to protect the w.

spacer.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Those three dudes are definitely not Jonathan Allen, Terry McLaurin, or Chase Young

spacer.png

I'm the only one who noticed that pinky toes of this lady are out of the shoes and fore toes barely fit in them?

• Like 1

4r2eer.png

18 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

I'm the only one who noticed that pinky toes of this lady are out of the shoes and fore toes barely fit in them?

More like pedis21, amirite?

The maroon jersey looks like a knockoff of itself.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

13 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

spacer.png

Seeing them "live" I think they just look worse. The ability to mix & match won't work, because you could have white pants work with the red jerseys, but they may stick out too much, since white isn't a dominant color on the red set. The white set is the most ideal mix/match because of the use of red & black, so black elements (i.e. pants and helmet) would fit perfectly in with the black in the jersey. You could in theory use red pants too since there is red in the white jerseys. But then for the black, you can only go with the red pants/socks. You could use the red helmet in theory because of the number outline, but it just doesn't all fit together.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BltzW said:

Seeing them "live" I think they just look worse. The ability to mix & match won't work, because you could have white pants work with the red jerseys, but they may stick out too much, since white isn't a dominant color on the red set. The white set is the most ideal mix/match because of the use of red & black, so black elements (i.e. pants and helmet) would fit perfectly in with the black in the jersey. You could in theory use red pants too since there is red in the white jerseys. But then for the black, you can only go with the red pants/socks. You could use the red helmet in theory because of the number outline, but it just doesn't all fit together.

This is why they absolutely need gold pants. They’d work well with all three jerseys (yes, even the white one). Only problem would be the black uniform looking too much like Dollar Store Steelers.

• Like 1

I'd be very curious to see how exactly the process played out.

We know that some teams like to keep a tight clamp on the reigns and others will ask the designers to push the envelope.

Have we gotten any articles about the process?

Also, I'm absolutely certain we're going to see mixing and matching. For the Rams it was as clear as it could be that you weren't supposed to mix and match elements but that's exactly what the team did. 

Right away we should see burgundy over white, white over burgundy, white over black, and maybe black over white.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I'd be very curious to see how exactly the process played out.

We know that some teams like to keep a tight clamp on the reigns and others will ask the designers to push the envelope.

Have we gotten any articles about the process?

Also, I'm absolutely certain we're going to see mixing and matching. For the Rams it was as clear as it could be that you weren't supposed to mix and match elements but that's exactly what the team did. 

Right away we should see burgundy over white, white over burgundy, white over black, and maybe black over white.

There's some information on the Commanders website.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||