Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

12 minutes ago, Volt said:

This is perfect and all they needed to do.  Who created this concept?

The Commanders had to slap black anywhere on the main jerseys, so that they could have a black alt. The color of the alt needs to be a part of the main color scheme, I believe. One of the reasons why the real uniforms use BFBS.

8 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

The Commanders had to slap black anywhere on the main jerseys, so that they could have a black alt. The color of the alt needs to be a part of the main color scheme, I believe. One of the reasons why the real uniforms use BFBS.

How do you explain the Chargers use of navy and royal then? Either way there are way better ways to incorporate black than that disaster.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Every time you think this franchise can't top itself, it somehow manages to find a way to crap its pants a little harder and a little more messily.  Truly incredible.  The Commanders are one of the most storied franchises in the history of the league, but any NFL fan born from 1995 on knows the team only as a laughingstock.  It's truly impressive how bad of an owner Snyder is.  He's Gretzky-levels above his competition when it comes to bad owners.

I've said it before but I'll say it again: I genuinely feel bad for my friends who have to root for this sorry excuse of a franchise.

• Like 11

spacer.png

On 2/17/2022 at 4:18 PM, schultzcore said:

The NFL holds copyrights to the Roman numerals used as Super Bowl identifiers.

Well, you know, if an NFL team tried to use the NFL's intellectual property, we'd have a real problem on our hands.

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 2/17/2022 at 10:38 PM, ltjets21 said:

How do you explain the Chargers use of navy and royal then? 

Those are considered Color Rush uniforms and it was always the policy that teams could use "former colors" as a part of their color rush package.

Stupid, yes, but there you go.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Those are considered Color Rush uniforms and it was always the policy that teams could use "former colors" as a part of their color rush package.

Stupid, yes, but there you go.

I feel like Washington could have easily designated black as the Color Rush, since it was used as an outline color in the former logo. That way they wouldn’t have had to unnecessarily force black onto the white jersey like they did.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I feel like Washington could have easily designated black as the Color Rush, since it was used as an outline color in the former logo. That way they wouldn’t have had to unnecessarily force black onto the white jersey like they did.

Probably. The 49ers got away with a black alt based (I guess) on the little black oval in their logo.

Honestly, I think all the NFL's intricate uniform rules are pretty much just suggestions these days.  They aren't going to officially do away with the rules, but they no longer seem overly interested in enforcing them.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2022 at 10:38 PM, ltjets21 said:

How do you explain the Chargers use of navy and royal then? 

I don't think the NFL cares about shades. Blue is blue to them. The Chargers are already blue, white, and gold. They don't see a problem with their alternates being different shades of blue. 

Of course we're uni geeks. We see a huge difference between powder blue, royal, and navy. I just don't think the league cares that much. Neither do most people. Blue is blue. 

10 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Honestly, I think all the NFL's intricate uniform rules are pretty much just suggestions these days.  They aren't going to officially do away with the rules, but they no longer seem overly interested in enforcing them.

TV numbers are still "required" as far as I know, but most new unis don't bother with them. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

I can't believe this professional graphic design agency used Franklin Gothic Medium for the 1932. What ugly numerals. That 1 is guilty of basespreading. But, I mean, I get that you have to commit to it so that you don't have clashing sans-serif fonts, oh, whoops, there's Helvetica on the roundel, and there's Alternate Gothic in the middle, and there's Eurostile in the W logo. Well, be glad they didn't just leave it on Calibri!

• Like 7

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

I can't believe this professional graphic design agency used Franklin Gothic Medium for the 1932. What ugly numerals. That 1 is guilty of basespreading. But, I mean, I get that you have to commit to it so that you don't have clashing sans-serif fonts, oh, whoops, there's Helvetica on the roundel, and there's Alternate Gothic in the middle, and there's Eurostile in the W logo. Well, be glad they didn't just leave it on Calibri!

We should be thankful it’s not in Comic Sans, Futura Condensed Bold, or Times New Roman. 

• Like 2

On 2/19/2022 at 10:18 PM, ramsjetsthunder said:

It would've been so easy...

dwight-schrute-screaming-dwight-schrute.

The problem with these very attractive concepts is that they look too much like the old identity. The team and the league together (not to mention these boards, evidently) are trying to whitewash the fact that they used to be called what they used to be called. 

Plus, y’know, mono is required for a cool uniform, of course. /s

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Germanshepherd said:

It is so funny to me that they messed that up to begin with. It's a glimpse into what a gongshow organization that is. 

The tweet should read "Going forward, our crest will reflect our Super Bowl victories using the year from that regular season, which as you all know, is the standard practice that everyone uses and has always used and it was weird we ever tried to mark championships in a logo by the year in which the Super Bowl happened. I know on the surface that sounds like it makes sense, but the Super Bowl is historically listed as a continuation of the previous fall's season. I'll be honest here, if you can't tell by our last 26 years of play on the field, we don't really know what we're doing, and being honest again, we sorta just googled "(Commanders) super bowl wins" and that's the date google spit out. Maybe google needs to update how they list  Super Bowl years too lol? Anyways, the logo's fixed. What other things did you have an issue with? Oh the entire new name and brand as a whole? LOL that's not changing, sorry. Have a good one". 

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4

PvO6ZWJ.png