Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

On 2/19/2022 at 9:02 PM, the admiral said:

I can't believe this professional graphic design agency used Franklin Gothic Medium for the 1932. What ugly numerals. That 1 is guilty of basespreading. But, I mean, I get that you have to commit to it so that you don't have clashing sans-serif fonts, oh, whoops, there's Helvetica on the roundel, and there's Alternate Gothic in the middle, and there's Eurostile in the W logo. Well, be glad they didn't just leave it on Calibri!

It's entirely possible that the W is of the Zapf Dingbats family. 

26 minutes ago, Moseph said:

Here is a better look at how stupid the decals look on the side of the helmet. If they can't figure out a way to rid of the glossy burgundy portions of the decal then they should've stuck with the metallic helmet where you wouldn't even notice.

https://mobile.twitter.com/commanderkait/status/1495845919438295050/photo/2

They absolutely could with die cut vinyl...sure it would take longer to apply but it would actually not look cheap. This helmet could also be a candidate for a painted on logo if they went with a yellow shell and painted on the cabernet 🍷

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

The problem with these very attractive concepts is that they look too much like the old identity. The team and the league together (not to mention these boards, evidently) are trying to whitewash the fact that they used to be called what they used to be called. 

Plus, y’know, mono is required for a cool uniform, of course. /s

The uniforms were never the problem. The guardians didn’t change their uniforms other than the wordmark and logos. Washington could have honestly done the same thing with no issues.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, dont care said:

The uniforms were never the problem. The guardians didn’t change their uniforms other than the wordmark and logos. Washington could have honestly done the same thing with no issues.

And pass up the chance for them to squeeze their increasingly-smaller fanbase dry with a :censored:load of new jerseys? Danny Boy would never. 😛

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Volt said:
On 2/18/2022 at 7:52 PM, DCarp1231 said:

Yes another instance of “why didn’t the team do this?”

spacer.png

This is sex.

The Commanders actual helmet, but with a black facemask, is sex?

• LOL 9

6uXNWAo.png

8 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

And pass up the chance for them to squeeze their increasingly-smaller fanbase dry with a :censored:load of new jerseys? Danny Boy would never. 😛

HE usually does that by signing a Jersey mover every other year. I swear I think his free agent signing and draft picks have less to do with how they do on the field and more to do with how many jerseys they can sell from the idea. Don't think them getting Wilson, Rogers, is an attempt at getting a good team on the field. Its everything to do with that player selling jerseys

On 2/22/2022 at 11:54 AM, MCM0313 said:

The problem with these very attractive concepts is that they look too much like the old identity. The team and the league together (not to mention these boards, evidently) are trying to whitewash the fact that they used to be called what they used to be called. 

If they're trying, they're not trying nearly hard enough. I believe I said when this all started that the team would have to undergo a full deredskinification and basically launch as an expansion team in spirit, disavowing not only their name but everything they ever achieved under it. I didn't like that idea, because I didn't think they really should have had to change the name in the first place, but I saw the merit in it. That still would have been better than the half-measure they came up with, where they kept the color scheme, made all the logos and uniform elements significantly worse, and couldn't even figure out how to honor that history anyway. I would have been happier if they changed their colors to neon green, magenta, 30% warm grey, and kind of a slightly purplish cornflower color. At least it would have sucked with full conviction. 

On 2/22/2022 at 1:22 PM, Sport said:

It is so funny to me that they messed that up to begin with. It's a glimpse into what a gongshow organization that is. 

Team: "So for like the Super Bowl, do we say it's the year the season was in or the year the game is in?"
NFL: "Yeah it's really confusing. That's why we came up with using Roman numerals instead."

Team: "Ah yeah that makes sense. Can we do that too?"
NFL: "No. Only I can do that."

• Like 7

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

38 minutes ago, the admiral said:

If they're trying, they're not trying nearly hard enough. I believe I said when this all started that the team would have to undergo a full deredskinification and basically launch as an expansion team in spirit, disavowing not only their name but everything they ever achieved under it. I didn't like that idea, because I didn't think they really should have had to change the name in the first place, but I saw the merit in it. That still would have been better than the half-measure they came up with, where they kept the color scheme, made all the logos and uniform elements significantly worse, and couldn't even figure out how to honor that history anyway. I would have been happier if they changed their colors to neon green, magenta, 30% warm grey, and kind of a slightly purplish cornflower color. At least it would have sucked with full conviction. 

Team: "So for like the Super Bowl, do we say it's the year the season was in or the year the game is in?"
NFL: "Yeah it's really confusing. That's why we came up with using Roman numerals instead."

Team: "Ah yeah that makes sense. Can we do that too?"
NFL: "No. Only I can do that."

Love it:

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 23

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

NFL: "Yeah it's really confusing.

It always curious me why NFLstill using single year to reference a season I mean instead of 2021 it should be 2021/2022. I know in past they starts and ends season during one year so they could naming it like that but now it make no sense.

4r2eer.png

1 hour ago, pepis21 said:

It always curious me why NFLstill using single year to reference a season I mean instead of 2021 it should be 2021/2022. I know in past they starts and ends season during one year so they could naming it like that but now it make no sense.

It makes sense for people that have been following the sport forever and are used to it, but I get how it might be confusing to an outsider.  Unfortunately, whatever idiot approved that patch must not be an NFL fan... which kind of explains the rest of the uniforms too.

The first SB I remember watching was XX, and I used to be able to remember the seasons and champions simply by the Roman numeral of the corresponding title game.  After some time, probably somewhere after XL, it just became too much for me, but somehow I can remember the seasons by year even if I couldn't tell you which Roman numeral corresponds with each year anymore.  For example, I know the Giants won the 2007 title, but I have no idea without looking it up which Super Bowl that was.

Now if they eventually go to 20 game seasons and we're playing through March, there may be more merit to it, but for now, I instantly associate 1991 with the R-words winning the title, so I'm good with it staying that way.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 hours ago, TruColor said:

Love it:

spacer.png

You know, you’ve just given me an idea for miniature painting.

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

I think the Guardians did a decent job of just “evolving” the previous Cleveland AL design. It’s just that nobody should trust Dan Snyder in making any kind of decisions. The black stuff had been his dream since the mid-‘00s, which he unfortunately had the chance to demand/fulfill with the borderline-military fetishist design (another unfortunate part of the Commanders brand that could use more discussion).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...