2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

I don't really like that they kept orange around. there was a blog article I read where a supposed source said the goalies had been instructed not to use orange on their pads this year, but I do like those jerseys.

I could honestly take or leave the grey but I've always had a bit of a soft spot for jerseys like these where the middle stripe is the main jersey colour so it looks like negative space (not the right word for it, but gets the point across I think).

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

4 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Love the home teal.  That’s a gorgeous jersey.  

I feel the away white could use teal as the main stripe color instead of white.  

Had the same thought. But overall I’d say they’re an improvement. Still don’t see black numbers working with the road if that leaked concept image is accurate. 

• Like 1

Has anyone made a joke about the Sharks and the weight of all the extra stripes yet? 

These look fantastic. Not sure about teal pants and helmets as opposed to black, but I welcome more color into the league. I can imagine teal pants looking really slick with the white jerseys. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

These jerseys are so close to a home run. Love the striping pattern, love the updated shoulder patch. But why for the love of God did they get lazy where it matters most, and slap that ugly, leftover logo on the front?!? Would have been a PERFECT opportunity to modernize the original logo, like they did with the shoulder patch, and really complete the new look. Not to mention for some dumb reason keeping that jarring orange color on the hanger effect. Could have been 10/10, same logo/hanger effect drop it to a 7 at best.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

It's wild that we've gone from "what a gimmicky addition by Reebok" to "don't skimp out on that part of the design" in regard to the hanger effect in about a decade.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Better look at the Senators 30th anniversary logo - instead of a blurry phone photo of a screen.

Looks good! I'm really digging it. Hope it actually makes it on the jerseys... I assume there will be a black variant of the logo just like the old peace tower script had a white version for the black jersey, and a black version for the white jersey.

EDIT: Hmm, anyone notice the clock hands? Do they mean anything? The original doesn't have that detail (it's just a solid block), but had they moved the hour and minute hand, they could have made the clock read 20:22 in military time. Wasted opportunity!

spacer.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, riccirulesall said:

spacer.png

turns out that was just the angle. orange in the logo remains (unfortunately)

Is it just me, or does that shoulder patch seem HUGE. I like a good secondary logo, but I think these would be better served without it.

Also, I think the wavy pattern in the fabric is an unnecessary distraction on what is an otherwise nice-looking jersey. The texture has an effect of altering the color, and making it seem inconsistent with the rest of the jersey. I'm with those of you who wish they'd have used gray/silver in that spot instead. 

Think San Jose could have kept the exact same striping pattern from the home onto the aways.   This is a terrible illustrator hack job but I think it gets the look across.   To me it really helps the color balance on the aways. The actual version has teal and black next to each other and they blend together.  This version separates the teal and black and lets the teal pop more:

y95hpHr.png

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

4 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Think San Jose could have kept the exact same striping pattern from the home onto the aways.   This is a terrible illustrator hack job but I think it gets the look across.   To me it really helps the color balance on the aways:

y95hpHr.png

100% agree on the striping. 

Also, I know people wanted gray for the hem/sleeve stripe. But if they do that, there is basically no reason for them to ever break out their original jersey for special occasions. I think these as primaries with the original as their heritage is a great rotation. 

I actually like the wave striping a lot. The sharks just feel like a team that should have a modern element. And they did so while also being tasteful. 

A- in my book. Would be an A+ if the white sweater striping was switched.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, philly97flyer said:

These jerseys are so close to a home run. Love the striping pattern, love the updated shoulder patch. But why for the love of God did they get lazy where it matters most, and slap that ugly, leftover logo on the front?!? Would have been a PERFECT opportunity to modernize the original logo, like they did with the shoulder patch, and really complete the new look. Not to mention for some dumb reason keeping that jarring orange color on the hanger effect. Could have been 10/10, same logo/hanger effect drop it to a 7 at best.

The current logo is a modernized version of the original logo, no? 

The orange hangar effect is fine, and it won’t be seen when worn.

The official announcement has to imminent with all these retail leaks.

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

9 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The current logo is a modernized version of the original logo, no? 

The orange hangar effect is fine, and it won’t be seen when worn.

The official announcement has to imminent with all these retail leaks.

I meant more along the lines of what the Blue Jays did. When they made their first change to the Clemens era set, they kind of did what the Sharks did by bringing in a 2000’s-ish update to the logo. Then they eventually switched back to what they have now, which is a classier version that looks less 2000 and more of just a straight up throwback with some minor tweaks/clean up. Think that’s the direction the Sharks should have taken here. They kind of did that with the shoulder patch

• Like 2

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

3 hours ago, Ricky_Roby said:

EDIT: Hmm, anyone notice the clock hands? Do they mean anything? The original doesn't have that detail (it's just a solid block), but had they moved the hour and minute hand, they could have made the clock read 20:22 in military time. Wasted opportunity!

It looks like it could be set to 11:11 in honour of Alfie, which would make sense as he's going into the Hall of Fame in November. It sounds like they have a big celebration planned for that day.

As for the Sharks, it's an improvement over their most recent set, but just barely IMO. With the removal of orange from the jersey, the orange in the logo looks completely out of place. I would still put the first Edge set & both pre-Edge designs ahead of this. It will be interesting to see what gear they go with. I saw concepts showing various options (both jerseys w/ black equipment, both w/ teal, black only at home w/ teal on the road, black pants at home but w/ teal helmets).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, riccirulesall said:

spacer.png

turns out that was just the angle. orange in the logo remains (unfortunately)

They slapped the 2010s rebrand logo on the new 2022 teal and black only look.

I see that the new shoulder logo contains no orange whatsoever and thick black outlines to sorta match the new stripes. They forgot to make one or two small changes to the orange outlines within the crest. The primary logo is more important than the shoulder logo.

The orange hockey stick is fine because a hockey stick is made of wood and the SJ shade of orange is okay for that. The eye is fine too. But the crest triangle stripes really need an adjustment, if that's the jerseys they're going with.

1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

Think San Jose could have kept the exact same striping pattern from the home onto the aways.   This is a terrible illustrator hack job but I think it gets the look across.   To me it really helps the color balance on the aways. The actual version has teal and black next to each other and they blend together.  This version separates the teal and black and lets the teal pop more:

y95hpHr.png

Any chance we could get a look at silver in place of the white stripes?

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I think @CreamSoda's take on the sleeves makes sense... IMO that's a BETTER way to do it, but having grey AND black just looks better.  Maybe @PlayGloria is right that having those 3 colors would reduce sales of the original.  So a couple thoughts: 1. lose the orange for the shark eye / hockey stick (below middle) 2. if you insist on being a 2-color team would it make more sense to be a darker grey rather than black? It gives more contrast with the teal (below right)

8Pxradb.png

• Like 1