College Football 2022

Kevin W.

2 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

Not a fan of the ND uniforms, idk what it is exactly but they just strike me as boring. Their regular away jersey but with gold numbers and monogram, both with blue outlines, would of been better imo.

I am not a fan either. This is the 4th time in the series that the team has chose to go with plain pants and I believe they need to have stripes for one-offs considering their normal pants are plain. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

23 minutes ago, nuordr said:

I am not a fan either. This is the 4th time in the series that the team has chose to go with plain pants and I believe they need to have stripes for one-offs considering their normal pants are plain. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

If there was ever a time for Notre Dame to wear black uniforms, this would of been the game to do it. 

• Dislike 1
  • Hate 1

I can understand some people's beef against football uniform pants not having stripes (okay maybe "beef" ain't the right word but it's the best I got at the moment while fighting off this COVID), but I really don't have an issue with stripeless pants depending on the makeup of the whole uniform and what message one is trying to get across.

If you consider a full uniform--helmet, jersey, pants, and for those that have them, socks--a blank canvas to start with, then start painting on only the necessary elements as functionally required (which really the only thing required are jersey numbers in college and jersey numbers + NOBs in the NFL, at least for now), well...you'd essentially end up with what UTA has:

texas-longhorns-football.jpg

1638901983845.jpeg

I'm sure there's probably an even more "plain jane" uniform out there somewhere**, but even here, all you get is "TEXAS", the jersey numbers, two little dinky sleeve stripes (which probably really don't even need to be there considering the shrinking size of sleeve caps), and their burnt orange color.

Some find this boring; some see it as purely functional. Darrell Royal, longtime HC at UTA, had this to say about the Longhorns' uniforms:

quote-we-don-t-want-any-candy-stripes-on

Hey, that was his ethos. He saw the uniforms has work clothes, and they've been that way since...and those who know about Royal know how much of a no-nonsense man he was. (By the way, that's how you build an identity: declare an ethos, whatever it is, and stick to it.)

Back to the point at hand, and why I used Texas' uniforms (and for the sake of this argument, just pretend briefly that the chest script doesnt exist): for as barebones basic as this is, the burnt orange, at a glance, identifies Texas, as that's their signature color; it seems to be that's all they really care about. I see the same in Notre Dame's new alt: sure, there are some decorative details in there (because it is a one-off after all), but it's obvious to me that they intended to make gold stick out as much as possible. (And why not? They are kinda known as the "Golden Domers" after all.)

When you first see the uniform, your brain probably picks up the gold first (the helmet, then the accents, if your natural progression is to scan from head to toe); depending on how you're wired, you may see the navy outlines on the numbers next. Then you may see sleeve hoops and the sleeve cap logo, and hone in on that. After that then you may notice the gold ND logo on the front hip (and of course UA's brand mark on the opposite hip). Now imagine if the pants had stripes on them...how much of your attention would those stripes pull away from the details they obviously want the most attention paid to? (Which in this instance I believe is three intricate patterns on the sleeve hoops and cap logos.) 

What this is is an interesting exercise in visual hierarchy not to mention tasteful restraint...as I'm learning more and more about these fine lines and details, the more open-minded and less restrictive I've become to certain predetermined dogmas in my own brain regarding "good design" and "not-good design", understanding that design itself has something of a scientific process to it. (And before anyone goes there, yes, "plain" too is a design choice. I've seen some say about plain pants that they have "no design" to them...well, being plain is itself a design choice when one looks at the whole thing.)

All that said, and as counterintuitive as it may seem to try to scientifically explain something so subjective as one's tastes in uniform design, I just figured it might add a little more insight into the backside of this thing, but not necessarily to change anyone's opinion on it. 

One other thing: I've long wondered what a straight gold-and-white uniform would look like; this now gives me a REAL good idea. Honestly, this would be my ideal getup for the New Orleans Saints, but I know that'll probably never happen.

Spoiler

**There IS another possibly more plain uniform out there: Penn State. But at least burnt orange is a unique color; the same cannot be said for navy blue.

• Like 9

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

15 hours ago, tBBP said:

Now THAT is HOT.  Definitely the best Shamrock Series uniform yet, and probably the best alt ND has ever had. 

I wanna see one of these jerseys in person...

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not really digging these. I think it's the heavy white on gold that does it. It's hard to look at IMO. Design is nice, but it needs more navy or green.

• Like 4

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

16 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Southern Miss finally cleaned up the helmet stripe

It looks better than the tapered stripes, but IMO, their best helmets (namely from the 90s) had a single gold stripe. Maybe with the yellow-gold stripes they didn't want more comparisons to Iowa. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I feel like the dome on the sleeve insert would have been better placed on the sleeve caps than the shoulders. You can also add more to the design rather that cropping the dome so tightly that there really is nothing else in that design. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Wish we could get some brand consistency in the "Notre Dame" or "Irish" fonts in these Shamrock Series uniforms. Probably doesn't bother anyone else, but seeing them use the Yankees font, the celtic font and now this act deco-ish font bugs me. I don't think using their standard wordmarks would really feel that out of place because they still match the ND monograms being used. 

47 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

It looks better than the tapered stripes, but IMO, their best helmets (namely from the 90s) had a single gold stripe. Maybe with the yellow-gold stripes they didn't want more comparisons to Iowa. 

I'll go further and say that their best helmets had an actual logo, not a tiny cramped wordmark that's illegible from a distance.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

I'll go further and say that their best helmets had an actual logo, not a tiny cramped wordmark that's illegible from a distance.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well Iowa sued them so they can’t use the bottom logo anymore, and what is the top logo suppose to be? I know it’s suppose to be a eagle but I thought it was a howling wolf at first glance. It’s just not a very good logo

• Yawn 1

2 hours ago, dont care said:

Well Iowa sued them so they can’t use the bottom logo anymore, and what is the top logo suppose to be? I know it’s suppose to be a eagle but I thought it was a howling wolf at first glance. It’s just not a very good logo

They can use that logo. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/iowa-logo-beats-southern-miss-head-head-federal-183108005.html

https://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/8/3/2343055/iowa-southern-miss-logo-trademark-judges

USM-Logo-vs.-Iowa-Logo.jpg

This is the logo that Iowa saw as "too similar" to theirs. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

25 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

Doesn’t that just show they can’t use it?

Guess Iowa was pissed that a CUSA school had a significantly better logo than their horrible bird+ballsack logo. The bigger schools will always win in a trademark dispute, regardless of how ridiculous it is. And those same schools can rip off smaller schools without repercussions like Pitt did to FIU. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lahaye7 said:

REjoice! I saw UVa has put logos on BOTH sides of their helmets!!! Hope this is a new trend. 

Yep thank goodness they came to their senses and got the number off one side

• Like 10
  • Love 3