College Football 2022

Kevin W.

2 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Texas looks so much better. Their jerseys were way too cluttered on the front the last few seasons. 

Does this count as #TexasBack? 

uni.0.jpeg

It does look a little cleaner, but I'm surprised they got rid of the shoulder numbers. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

This is at least the second big Nike team update (other being Georgia going back to block numbers) and in both instances, the teams retained the Vapor Untouchable template instead of switching to that one Oregon’s been using for a couple years. I’m a bit surprised. The Vapor Untouchable has been used for at least 6 or 7 years now. I’m not complaining, it’s probably the best template we’ve seen. On the other hand, it’s even more surprising some schools like FSU continue to use the Mach Speed template, which is even older dating back to 2013 or 2014.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

This is at least the second big Nike team update (other being Georgia going back to block numbers) and in both instances, the teams retained the Vapor Untouchable template instead of switching to that one Oregon’s been using for a couple years. I’m a bit surprised. The Vapor Untouchable has been used for at least 6 or 7 years now. I’m not complaining, it’s probably the best template we’ve seen. On the other hand, it’s even more surprising some schools like FSU continue to use the Mach Speed template, which is even older dating back to 2013 or 2014.

My guess is the players that have used both templates like the Untouchable over the Fusion. I recall that the NFL was supposed to switch over to the Fusion but I guess that was just a rumor. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

13 hours ago, Discrim said:

IIRC ND is rather insistent that both blue and gold be present on any green jerseys nowadays...why they feel it has to be in "green version of white jersey" form, I don't know, when "green version of home jersey" tended to work much better.  Hell, inverting the numbers to gold trimmed in blue would be an improvement here.

Yeah, they've been very strict about brand consistency since UA took over. It makes sense to want consistency, after years of wavering between Kelly and Forest green, athletic gold and metallic gold, and even sometimes royal blue instead of navy. Unfortunately, for some reason they decided navy outlined in gold looked good on green, and have stubbornly stuck with it. For apparel it works fine, and the script on baseball and basketball jerseys kinda works, but the numbers are just awful. Gold numbers would look a bit better, but I'm not sure their current shades of gold and green have enough contrast between them. It's probably a nightmare for colorblind people. I've always thought the best green jerseys were when they just swapped out blue for green, leaving white numbers. The Dan Devine era jerseys really weren't that great, with a brighter, more yellow athletic gold that did not match the helmets at all. The Weis era green jerseys always felt too dark and muddy for my liking. The Willingham jerseys got it right, but they got embarrassed in them, so we never saw them again.

• Like 1

spacer.png

What are you doing, Texas?? The sleeve numbers are a key part of the uniform. Can’t imagine Vince Young pointing at the confetti without them.

• Like 2

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

20 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Texas looks so much better. Their jerseys were way too cluttered on the front the last few seasons. 

Does this count as #TexasBack? 

#TexasBack sounds like a hot sweaty back with your shirt stuck to it.

• LOL 3

On 7/7/2022 at 8:12 PM, cajunaggie08 said:

Even if the only change is the removal of the Longhorn chest logo, it's already a huge improvement. The chest has been overcrowded for years now on the Texas uniform.

The Longhorn logo contoured perfectly with the collar of the jersey, but yeah, with the big TEXAS wordmark and the Big 12 and Nike logos, they just had too much going on there.

15 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

The Longhorn logo contoured perfectly with the collar of the jersey, but yeah, with the big TEXAS wordmark and the Big 12 and Nike logos, they just had too much going on there.

It'd be even worse with that big SEC patch in 2 years.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 7/8/2022 at 1:10 PM, burgundy said:

Gold numbers would look a bit better, but I'm not sure their current shades of gold and green have enough contrast between them.

Point taken...they might end up making the same mistake the Mets made: they made the gray lettering on their road blue alts too dark.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

3 hours ago, dont care said:

That might be why they took off the longhorn logo to put the SEC logo there like Florida does

I like that Florida does that instead of putting the gator head there. I'm surprised none of the Pac-12 schools put their shield at the collar.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 7/9/2022 at 12:17 AM, TenaciousG said:

What are you doing, Texas?? The sleeve numbers are a key part of the uniform. Can’t imagine Vince Young pointing at the confetti without them.

The problem is they haven't been sleeve numbers since 2012. They got relocated to the shoulders in 2013 when they got the Mach Speed template. I honestly didnt realize they moved them for an entire decade. It does seem odd to not have any numbers on the sleeve or shoulder as they have been there since the mid-70s

3 hours ago, cajunaggie08 said:

The problem is they haven't been sleeve numbers since 2012. They got relocated to the shoulders in 2013 when they got the Mach Speed template. I honestly didnt realize they moved them for an entire decade. It does seem odd to not have any numbers on the sleeve or shoulder as they have been there since the mid-70s

Honestly, fine with it. TV numbers really are obsolete. I can't ever think of scenarios when I felt like I needed to find the shoulders of a player to see their number, but maybe I'm subconsciously doing that when watching games. 

Even as a high school football journalist for years, I would have to log stats from a press box in real time or from the field and a lot of teams wouldn't have TV numbers, or they are on the sleeve cap and get shriveled up so much you can't read them. It's not as functional anymore now that we have high definition and instant replay. 

Now, aesthetically, I like them -- they can make a uniform feel more complete. But there are some schools like Texas or Alabama where I just prefer the super plain uniform

• Like 6

On 7/10/2022 at 12:26 AM, mafiaman said:

When did CAL become a “big game” jersey day?

Oh how the mighty Irish have fallen…

How the hell does Notre Dame wearing green against Cal mean they've "fallen"? They don't wear green for only "big" games. They've worn them against Army, Boston College, and a mediocre Florida State that was not the team it used to be. Green was originally used as a clash against teams like Iowa and Navy before away jerseys were used. USC is obviously the most famous and frequent opponent for ND to wear the green against, but there's really no rules they've followed for when they break out the green.

• Like 9

spacer.png

19 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Now, aesthetically, I like them -- they can make a uniform feel more complete. But there are some schools like Texas or Alabama where I just prefer the super plain uniform

This is the important part to me. Outside of Alabama and Stanford I hate teams not having TV numbers on the sleeves or shoulders.