College Football 2022

Kevin W.

3 hours ago, Bagel said:

New turf is in at Camp Randall Stadium. Only real change seems to be the thicker out of bounds line which I assume was done purely to display "Barry Alvarez Field". Also, you can see a bit of the progress of the south endzone renovations.

Old:

spacer.png

At least they got all the Ns correctly oriented this time around. 
https://madison.com/news/local/education/university/look-closely-letters-in-the-camp-randall-stadium-end-zones-are-upside-down/article_a8929fa1-8b8c-5e61-ad47-87b0ba4cf656.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

When we're on this website, this is what we can call a good question.  If you ask this question anywhere else on the planet, you will be looked at as though you've got a squirrel living on your head, and everyone will slowly back away.

But since you ask here... good question!!

I tend to agree with your first definition. Technically to be a northwestern stripe, it needs to go thin - thick - thin, all one color, separated by the jersey color underneath.  I think that puts us in the minority these days, as I read people on this site pretty much refer to any three part thin - thick - thin stripe as a northwestern stripe.

I know why it's so regimented in my head, and why I'll probably never be able to think of it any other way.  It's because of a job I had right out of college back in the late 80's.  For a few years I worked in a silkscreen sweatshop, doing art production. Pre-computer, everything was cut and pasted by hand, lettering hand set, photographed on a giant production camera, and projected on to silk screens. We did t-shirts, hats, etc. But we also did jerseys (and football helmet decals... that was the best part of the job!) for high schools and the occasional d-3 college. The jerseys were offered from a catalog. Of course, for more money we'd do custom stripes, but the catalog had template stripes that could be applied in whatever colors to a jersey sleeve, in about a dozen different pre-made configurations.  In the catalog, there were offerings like "Double-stripe" (two stripes, same color, separated by jersey) and "Double-fill" (two stripes, same color, separated by a second color). And we offered a few variations on the Northwestern Stripe. IIRC they went something like this;

Standard Northwestern Stripe- three stripes, all one color, thin-thick-thin, separated by jersey;

spacer.png

Northwestern Stripe, trimmed  - three stripes, all one color, thin-thick-thin, separated by jersey, with a second color trimming each stripe;

spacer.png

There was a listing we referred to as a USC Stripe (because, obviously, this is what USC wore at the time - three stripes, center stripe a different color, thin-thick-thin, separated by jersey;

spacer.png

(I think most people would probably just think of this as a northwestern stripe, but I can't help thinking of it as something different.)

I think those USC uniforms are considered to have Northwestern stripes. Auburn is under the same category (on their jerseys). 

Auburn Football: Analyzing the quarterback battle head of spring ball

As for the Lions and Vikings uniforms, that's either Ohio State or Steelers striping.

Report: Ohio State to wear throwback uniforms vs. Michigan End Of Pittsburgh Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger Era Could Come Jan. 9 In  Baltimore

• Like 2

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

1 hour ago, GriffinM6 said:

I think those USC uniforms are considered to have Northwestern stripes. Auburn is under the same category (on their jerseys). 

Auburn Football: Analyzing the quarterback battle head of spring ball

As for the Lions and Vikings uniforms, that's either Ohio State or Steelers striping.

Report: Ohio State to wear throwback uniforms vs. Michigan End Of Pittsburgh Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger Era Could Come Jan. 9 In  Baltimore

Yeah, I’m  sure that’s how most people think about it (us weirdos that think about it at all)… any stripe with that thin-thick-thin configuration is considered a Northwestern stripe, regardless of the colors. I just can never think of it that way just based on that catalog I had to deal with everyday for a few years between my bachelors and my masters. 

For the record, I’m my head I think of that Steelers stripe as a “Standard Pro” at home and a “Northwestern “ on the road. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, plobrien said:

I really like the thick out of bounds line. 

The W seems like it could be a little bit bigger.

The small logo has always bothered me.  It needs to be way bigger.

Most people would probably say there are 3 different stripes here. Your standard two color stripes on the helmet (do those have a name?), Northwestern stripes on the jersey, floating stripes on the pants. But they're actually all the same: orange-blue-thick white-blue-orange, just on different backgrounds.

florida-gators-13390659.jpg

I'm sure just about everyone here already knows that, but I thought it's funny that we (OSV excluded) only consider it to be a Northwestern stripe on the jersey. It's because the color of the "in between" stripe is the same as the base jersey color, but I still chuckled a little at it.

• Like 1

ExJworW.png

1 hour ago, Kg54mvp said:

A little off topic, but I miss the days where this forum would be 50 pages deep at this time of the year. Hope it really starts to ramp up soon!

I wonder if things will be slower than usual because of supply chain issues. 

48 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

I wonder if things will be slower than usual because of supply chain issues. 

2 hours ago, Kg54mvp said:

A little off topic, but I miss the days where this forum would be 50 pages deep at this time of the year. Hope it really starts to ramp up soon!

I am starting to think half the teams that complain of supply chain issues were just too lazy to plan ahead. If you're bringing back an old uniform, lead time should be less than a year if you're using the same manufacturer.  I also think some of the teams will be trying to pull off surprises closer to games this year than in previous years, just to give themselves more time to have fan gear ready to go with those releases. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

40 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I am starting to think half the teams that complain of supply chain issues were just too lazy to plan ahead. If you're bringing back an old uniform, lead time should be less than a year if you're using the same manufacturer.  I also think some of the teams will be trying to pull off surprises closer to games this year than in previous years, just to give themselves more time to have fan gear ready to go with those releases. 

That’s the main part of the supply chain issues. If fans can’t get merch to buy then teams aren’t going to go out of their way to make a new uniform.

20 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

When we're on this website, this is what we can call a good question.  If you ask this question anywhere else on the planet, you will be looked at as though you've got a squirrel living on your head, and everyone will slowly back away.

But since you ask here... good question!!

I tend to agree with your first definition. Technically to be a northwestern stripe, it needs to go thin - thick - thin, all one color, separated by the jersey color underneath.  I think that puts us in the minority these days, as I read people on this site pretty much refer to any three part thin - thick - thin stripe as a northwestern stripe.

I know why it's so regimented in my head, and why I'll probably never be able to think of it any other way.  It's because of a job I had right out of college back in the late 80's.  For a few years I worked in a silkscreen sweatshop, doing art production. Pre-computer, everything was cut and pasted by hand, lettering hand set, photographed on a giant production camera, and projected on to silk screens. We did t-shirts, hats, etc. But we also did jerseys (and football helmet decals... that was the best part of the job!) for high schools and the occasional d-3 college. The jerseys were offered from a catalog. Of course, for more money we'd do custom stripes, but the catalog had template stripes that could be applied in whatever colors to a jersey sleeve, in about a dozen different pre-made configurations.  In the catalog, there were offerings like "Double-stripe" (two stripes, same color, separated by jersey) and "Double-fill" (two stripes, same color, separated by a second color). And we offered a few variations on the Northwestern Stripe. IIRC they went something like this;

Standard Northwestern Stripe- three stripes, all one color, thin-thick-thin, separated by jersey;

spacer.png

Northwestern Stripe, trimmed  - three stripes, all one color, thin-thick-thin, separated by jersey, with a second color trimming each stripe;

spacer.png

There was a listing we referred to as a USC Stripe (because, obviously, this is what USC wore at the time - three stripes, center stripe a different color, thin-thick-thin, separated by jersey;

spacer.png

(I think most people would probably just think of this as a northwestern stripe, but I can't help thinking of it as something different.)

There was also a variation of the Northwestern Stripe (I remember it that way because we used the NW stripes screen as a starting template) the catalog advertised as a "Standard Pro Stripe" - a NW Stripe with a second color stripe floating in the gaps of the three same color stripe... similar to what Green Bay, Cleveland, Miami, and others wore.

spacer.png

That's how these things got locked into my brain in my 20's, so that's how I always think of them. It's pretty much just semantics, anyway.

It was kind of a fun job, but the pay was terrible and I think I was breathing in some horrific fumes.  I got fired for talkng about a union.

I suppose an originalist would go back and look at what Northwestern originally wore to determine what people were calling a Northwestern stripe. And I think the original jerseys support the monocolor interpretation, but since most people also apply it to the USC version, it’s futile go against common usage. (And yet every day a grammar teacher will get after someone for ending a sentence with a preposition or splitting an infinitive.)

Northwestern–Purdue from 1932:

H5868-L237038456_original.jpg

• Like 2

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

On 6/21/2022 at 10:52 AM, 4_tattoos said:

I'm legit surprised anybody liked the Northwestern jerseys with the stripes on the midsection. I never thought that looked good.

Those new uniforms look good. Especially the P/P/W combo. Could live without the black and white helmets, but it is what it is. Modern day programs love their options.

I still like(d) them. I thought it was a modern take on a classic uniform style. I wouldn't have minded if the white jersey kept the chest stripe going and the other two had it on the sleeves.

The pants definitely need stripes tho. 

• Like 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

5 hours ago, heavybass said:

Ohio State registers THE as a trademark successfully.

Congrats on being THE Wolverine's :censored: last year.

Made missing The Game in 2020 even worse, especially with the streak we had going, cause we would've stomped their :censored: in. They'll need a prayer in Columbus this year, looking forward to it (and the blue chip WRs that continue to pour in).

As for THE trademark, I'm shocked it went through but I don't really understand what it entails legally. There have been "THE" shirts sold around campus for years. 

4 hours ago, Lights Out said:

The helmet logo is clunky and awkward, and WVU just looks better in blue helmets rather than white.

The WV-state helmet decal looks to be tiny, which is awful 99% of the time. Should be 10-20% bigger. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Toledo has new plain uniforms with the Michigan State number font. It'd be really nice to see some of the MAC teams get some uniforms that have a unique style to their school, not ones straight out of the catalog.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Toledo has new plain uniforms with the Michigan State number font. It'd be really nice to see some of the MAC teams get some uniforms that have a unique style to their school, not ones straight out of the catalog.

Agree completely. I'd assume it comes down to budget and the fact that Nike doesn't really care as long as the jerseys have a swoosh on there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buckeye said:

32 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Agree completely. I'd assume it comes down to budget and the fact that Nike doesn't really care as long as the jerseys have a swoosh on there. 

They would have been better off to go with a standard block number instead of the Michigan State numbers. I understand the change though since they and Bowling Green were using the same designs. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png