College Football 2022

Kevin W.

16 minutes ago, BlazerBlaze said:

I refer you to our conference slogan - It Just Means More

Is this really all that different than FSU hyping up their return to white numbers? A traditional school that got caught up in the Nikeisms and brand synergy and whose fans are excited to be going back to tradition.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bathysphere said:

The Georgia bold font was good. Block font looks pretty good too.

Its honestly just funny watching them try to hype this up to the layfan when Id think that our kind are the only ones whod really “get it.”

Trust me, the Georgia fan base has been whining about those “bubble numbers” for almost a decade, even though I agree they were pretty good by custom font standards. This has gone down as a major W for the fans.

@aawagner011 Do you know if they're keeping Bulldog Bold as the wordmark/typeface otherwise? When it came out, there was a huge emphasis on getting every sport to have a unified appearance. Hard to imagine UGA throwing that effort away, so is this limited to the football jerseys' numbers?

PJU85JF.png

41 minutes ago, alxy8s said:

@aawagner011 Do you know if they're keeping Bulldog Bold as the wordmark/typeface otherwise? When it came out, there was a huge emphasis on getting every sport to have a unified appearance. Hard to imagine UGA throwing that effort away, so is this limited to the football jerseys' numbers?

I haven’t heard much else regarding that. Most of my intel just comes from reading the Georgia football message boards and picking up stuff from the real insiders. I’ve heard people speculate they may keep the word marks in the endzones but that they’ve supposedly ordered new stencils for the yard markers. Not sure on other sports, yet. The new AD Brooks was heavily behind this change. He’s been great for us in his short tenure.

3 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Is this really all that different than FSU hyping up their return to white numbers? A traditional school that got caught up in the Nikeisms and brand synergy and whose fans are excited to be going back to tradition.

In FSU's defense, all they did (from what I recall) was a simple social media graphic for that. Then again, hype videos are the last thing Norvell & Co. need to be concerned with right now...

52 minutes ago, Bathysphere said:

The Georgia bold font was good. Block font looks pretty good too.

Of the recent Nike customs, that one was definitely one of the best, if not the best among the college ranks.

52 minutes ago, Bathysphere said:

Its honestly just funny watching them try to hype this up to the layfan when Id think that our kind are the only ones whod really “get it.”

From what I understand now, it's not so much the teams themselves that are doing those; it's the media production/graphic design students on the school design teams that are churning them out. For whatever that may be worth...

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

12 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Of note, this is the same Vapor Untouchable template. Somewhat surprising. I’ve been expecting a new template for about two years now. 

I know they've had that newer template floating around with Oregon for a bit now, but I'm sure the reason why it hasn't become widespread is due to what the MLB is struggling with right now: supply chain issues. I do think they may have rolled it out by now in an ideal world, but the pandemic (like with other things) may have put a dent in that. Of course, given I'm not a Nike executive, I couldn't say for sure.

As for the font change, it's a lateral move for me. I liked Bulldog Bold because it was solid for a Nike font, and it provided a nice modernization to the uniforms. The block font just isn't as distinctive. Kinda surprised with the change, given that the recent national championship win. Watch it reappear 5-10 years down the road as a "throwback" uniform and start this whole cycle over again.

• Like 3

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Count me in the camp of not at all liking the change away from Bulldog Bold to a more basic block. It was a custom font that was subtle and reserved, but still felt unique and fitting for Georgia. It was one of my favorite custom fonts out there, for sure.

It's especially odd coming off of a National Championship win in the Bulldog Bold uniforms, it reminds me a bit of Florida State's redesign the year after their 2013 championship.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Count me in the camp of not at all liking the change away from Bulldog Bold to a more basic block. It was a custom font that was subtle and reserved, but still felt unique and fitting for Georgia. It was one of my favorite custom fonts out there, for sure.

It's especially odd coming off of a National Championship win in the Bulldog Bold uniforms, although it reminds me a bit of Florida State's redesign the year after their 2013 championship.

My counter to that would be that FSU’s changes were more extreme with a total brand overall, new logos, gold numbers on both home and road, and heavy usage of the pattern (coming from what was a fairly traditional look). Georgia is reverting back to its standard look that it’s worn for decades, barring a stripe or collar detail here or there. What they’ve gone with is the quintessential Georgia uniform.

1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

My counter to that would be that FSU’s changes were more extreme with a total brand overall, new logos, gold numbers on both home and road, and heavy usage of the pattern (coming from what was a fairly traditional look). Georgia is reverting back to its standard look that it’s worn for decades, barring a stripe or collar detail here or there. What they’ve gone with is the quintessential Georgia uniform.

Oh for sure, I was just noting the similarities in both having a uniform change the year after a national championship, no matter how big or small. 

Of course I’m not a Georgia fan, and have no personal investment in their tradition, but to me the Bulldog Bold was the quintessential Georgia uniform, and I’ll miss it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MJD7 said:

It's especially odd coming off of a National Championship win in the Bulldog Bold uniforms, although it reminds me a bit of Florida State's redesign the year after their 2013 championship.

I thought their font was fine, but this is looks like how UGa is supposed to look imo. Gives us something to talk about in a light sports  calendar. 

• Like 1

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

What was up with the non-serifed 4 & 7 in the video? Based on the other pictures, guessing it was just a bad Photoshop but weird either way

spacer.png

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

On 4/22/2022 at 12:24 AM, SSmith48 said:

I know they've had that newer template floating around with Oregon for a bit now, but I'm sure the reason why it hasn't become widespread is due to what the MLB is struggling with right now: supply chain issues. I do think they may have rolled it out by now in an ideal world, but the pandemic (like with other things) may have put a dent in that. Of course, given I'm not a Nike executive, I couldn't say for sure.

As for the font change, it's a lateral move for me. I liked Bulldog Bold because it was solid for a Nike font, and it provided a nice modernization to the uniforms. The block font just isn't as distinctive. Kinda surprised with the change, given that the recent national championship win. Watch it reappear 5-10 years down the road as a "throwback" uniform and start this whole cycle over again.

That template has been out for 3 years now. Oregon has even had two uniform sets on it. It's probably because teams like what they have now. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 4/20/2022 at 8:09 AM, Botiger said:

I doubt very seriously it's Gus' idea to have QR codes on jerseys.

Probably not his idea but there is no way that it happened without his approval.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

3 minutes ago, JTernup said:

Probably not his idea but there is no way that it happened without his approval.

I'd bet a few bucks that it was AD Terry Mohajir's idea. He used to be AD at Arkansas State and was always coming up with wild ideas. He was the one in charge when we auctioned off the coaching job for the spring game, for instance. Also, spring games don't matter.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaaf/news/arkansas-state-spring-game-auction-winner-nick-bhardwaj-coach-blake-anderson/1u0g7a5b1je3b1iam04ss5zl3m

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, heavybass said:

Also this is probably going to be the scummiest way for the Big 10 to put the Buckeyes in their championship game regardless of how crap they were.

The team that has won the Big ten East most of the last decade? Hahahahaha!!!!!! The only suspect year they were able to get  in was 2020, because they didn't "play enough" games and they would have if Michigan didn't have an outbreak. Even if they'd have lost they were still East champs. 

3 hours ago, heavybass said:

With the SEC going to 16 teams, this helps them with scheduling because the other option was one East vs West matchup with an 8 game league schedule. The ACC are considering 3 permanent opponents and 4 opponents one year, and the other 4 the next. So if a player stays all 4 years they'll have played at every school home and away. The Group of 5 schools are the ones that make out the best in this scenario if they have two top 10-15 teams playing for a league championship. Even if they can't make the playoffs they'll get better, higher paying bowls to go to. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

25 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The team that has won the Big ten East most of the last decade? Hahahahaha!!!!!! The only suspect year they were able to get  in was 2020, because they didn't "play enough" games and they would have if Michigan didn't have an outbreak. Even if they'd have lost they were still East champs. 

With the SEC going to 16 teams, this helps them with scheduling because the other option was one East vs West matchup with an 8 game league schedule. The ACC are considering 3 permanent opponents and 4 opponents one year, and the other 4 the next. So if a player stays all 4 years they'll have played at every school home and away. The Group of 5 schools are the ones that make out the best in this scenario if they have two top 10-15 teams playing for a league championship. Even if they can't make the playoffs they'll get better, higher paying bowls to go to. 

I'm guessing this will allow the schools to fill the balance of their schedule with D3 opponents.