2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

1 minute ago, gosioux76 said:

That video presentation makes it seem as if the new yellow set -- "Dark Mode" as they call it -- is just a series of alternates, with the purple look being primaries. 

Whether that's the case or not, that's clearly how they're positioning it. Also, that video showed another purple throwback that I don't see presented among those graphics. 

The attempt at "reframing" the entire rebrand around the throwback instead of the core three rebrand jerseys is just... so laughably obvious that I feel sorry for the marketing department.

• Like 9
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 5

Jazz gotta be one of the stupidest pro teams. They knew their look was gonna be hated so they’ve pretty much only been promoting bringing back a throwback (which we saw 2 years ago).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Also very intrigued that they went ahead and released next year’s city edition AND classic edition (old Pistol Pete purples), as well as committing to a purple alternate of some kind indefinitely. I didn’t expect all of that either. These two color schemes are really going to co-exist as long as Ryan Smith can help it, so….I guess he wasn’t wrong when he said purple was here to stay? 

I found the whole "purple forever" promise to be silly and, frankly, a pledge they can't fulfill. Unless, of course, Ryan Smith can commit to owning the franchise for the rest of his life and never intends to sell it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Digby said:

The attempt at "reframing" the entire rebrand around the throwback instead of the core three rebrand jerseys is just... so laughably obvious that I feel sorry for the marketing department.

I think that’s what I’m getting the biggest kick out of. They’ve got to be aware of how obvious thier mea culpa was, right?

In a way it almost feels like a really weird victory in that better branding, while still not being the primary, prevailed anyways by being pushed more than the rebrand itself. It’s no doubt embarrassing, and the black/yellow isn’t going away, but from a purple fan’s standpoint I’m kind of enjoying that and feel like purple had the last laugh here.

• Like 5

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

4 minutes ago, projectjohn said:

The front numbers on the black and yellow jerseys are just comically huge.

When I first saw them, I thought I was looking at a sleeveless college football jersey. Glad to see the Nike trend of oversized numbers/names made it to the NBA. 🙄

I also can't stand this "purple is back and here to stay"... if they were really serious about it, purple would have been involved to begin with. As has been said before, they realized way too late in the process that fans were going to dislike black/volt. They started the process by saying "what would be cool for us" instead of looking to the fans and the deep uniform history they have. Watch the black/yellow set get dropped in 2 or 3 years. They seem to already be marketing their next redesign.

On the other hand, I will say I'm intrigued by the black court. The chrome/metallic detail is cool, but I don't know how practical it will be. If it works out, I would expect that material to see more use, maybe not in the NBA, but certainly for All-Star Games, Final Fours, etc.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

3 minutes ago, bowld said:

Whats the deal with calling these "Remix"... what does that even mean?

I can't say for sure, but if the answer was that they had a plan, nobody liked it, and they had to "remix it," I'd believe it. 🤣

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

Imagine if they could have read the writing on the wall months ago and managed to drop the yellow in favor of copper or sky blue...this would almost seem like a coherent, deliberate rebrand. Almost.

But as others have said, advertising purple uni's 3 years out basically announces that there will be another brand tweak coming.

Also they're almost certainly running out the Mountain jersey for a third go around because they have a stack of them left over from the COVID season.

• Like 3

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

I'm kinda shocked they brought back the exact same mountain jersey they had 2 seasons ago. And i'm assuming they jumped some hoops to get that in again, due to the backlash of the black/yellow.

As for the black/yellow/white "remix", I like those. But having the same striping from the current set is meh to me. I'd prefer no stripes to just a flashy silver (powder snow).

But overall I like it all. The all-star logo on the black court is a nice touch.

• Huh? 1

I know it's more authentic to the time but why not line the top of the mountain up with the bottom of the V in the collar? Pushing it all so far down on modern templates means players are damn near tucking the number into their shorts

• Like 1

there’s no good takeaway from this announcement other then the newly designed city edition (which literally could have just worked as a main set design)

both those throwback jerseys have already been worn in the last 2-3 years. the new main set is obviously gross. courts are okay. and the way they’re marketing this is just an overall mess. 

the biggest takeaway might be the fact that the black jerseys aren’t even the icon jersey. so in theory we’ll be seeing them wear that neon yellow more than black. doesn’t even make any sense since they market themselves as a black and yellow team and not a yellow and black team. what a mess…

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

Imagine if they could have read the writing on the wall months ago and managed to drop the yellow in favor of copper or sky blue...this would almost seem like a coherent, deliberate rebrand. Almost.

But as others have said, advertising purple uni's 3 years out basically announces that there will be another brand tweak coming.

Also they're almost certainly running out the Mountain jersey for a third go around because they have a stack of them left over from the COVID season.

I LOVE the idea of porting the Note logo to some variation of the Mountain colors (Purple, Black, and either Light Blue or Copper), but I have a feeling that we’ll have to wait 2-5 years to finally get it.

I'll laugh if LockerVision shows the Jazz wearing the classics 60-70 times. 

The purple/black/silver gradient jersey looks interesting but it really needs copper and teal. 

• Like 5

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.