2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs new logo unveiled

Mr. Krabs

25 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

The N in "STANLEY" is the first thing my eye is drawn to, and it's jarring because it looks SO out of place.

STAHLEY CUP

It's fine.  They're going for the whole "we're grown ups and sports are serious" crap that has been too heavy for too long across the big four.  Whatever.

• Like 3
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Dreck. Just read this was created by an agency and NFL creative services was involved, which is why it looks like a characterless Super Bowl logo. 

I really hate this realism trend in sports event design. There's no statement here, nothing that captures the essence or feeling of the event. It's just a photograph (word chosen carefully) of the object. How is it we're in decade 4 of vector sports artwork and we're actually devolving? 

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, Mr. Krabs said:

As nice as this looks, it makes me think much too much of the Kings.

Same. 

NHL should revert back to orange and black just for fun.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The fonts are referencing two separate instances. The STANLEY CUP is representative of the original engraving font, and PLAYOFFS is referencing the hotel font that the NHL was created in. While I like style>history, they're nice nods and not overly gimmicky.

Counterargument: the NHL has been templated for a long time, and the over-metallic try of the last iteration started to age.

I'm happy with this. I see it as an upgrade, it should translate well in application, but not a "this is amazing" reaction

• Like 1

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

Is the trend towards more realistic depictions of objects due to the plasticization of the patches?  Or are the patches still embroidered?  If so, that cup ain't gonna look like that on a jersey.

And, much like I love the concept of the logo system in the NFL, I like what the NHL has done here.  This is better than anything they've had post-lockout.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

Is the trend towards more realistic depictions of objects due to the plasticization of the patches?  Or are the patches still embroidered?  If so, that cup ain't gonna look like that on a jersey.

And, much like I love the concept of the logo system in the NFL, I like what the NHL has done here.  This is better than anything they've had post-lockout.

They were still embroidered patch in 2021, remains to be seen if they will be made of rubber/plastic this year. Wouldn't look too out of place I guess since the NHL shield has been a piece of plastic for several years now

Black and silver are relatively neutral colors, even if they somehow match the Kings. The old black and orange weren't neutral and you could argue they matched the Flyers but whatever.

This package is overall fine, though the realistic cup logo feels a little out of place.

9 hours ago, Sport said:

Dreck. Just read this was created by an agency and NFL creative services was involved, which is why it looks like a characterless Super Bowl logo. 

I really hate this realism trend in sports event design. There's no statement here, nothing that captures the essence or feeling of the event. It's just a photograph (word chosen carefully) of the object. How is it we're in decade 4 of vector sports artwork and we're actually devolving? 

Totally agree. This isn't a logo, it's a photo-realistic illustration. The rules of logo design have been completely thrown out and replaced with soulless and cluttered imagery devoid of creativity. I hate it.

• Like 6

spacer.png

I appreciate the effort, but they didn't nail it. I don't care for the clashing typefaces, which are too close for the kind of serif/sans-serif distinction that you need for two typefaces to work together. I don't care for the photorealistic rendering of the Cup. Still, leaguewide graphics have been garbage since 2005, so at least they recognized that.

Stanley Cup Playoffs Logo Primary Logo (2005/06) - 2006 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs Logo - Final: Carolina Hurricanes vs Edmonton Oilers SportsLogos.Net

Remember how hideous this was? 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫