2023 World Baseball Classic

raysox

On 3/12/2023 at 9:21 AM, BBTV said:

Here's some photos from the Venezuelan* major league.  Why shouldn't Venezuela's national team reflect the aesthetic of its major league?  I don't think anyone else should be held to the baseline that the US has set.

Ironically, the US's cap logo and flag-S are, IMO, just as silly as some of the other designs.  I'd much prefer a Yankees-inspired design, or some variation of some of the classic White Sox logos that intertwined S O X, but with U S A.

*just using Venezuela as an example - the point applies to all countries.

That's the key to me- I want teams to look like teams in that country's top league (or for the Netherlands, some hybrid of Aruba/Curacao and the Honkbal league) . In a weird way the Team GB uniform feels right because I can't imagine a British baseball team having something that doesn't look like a catalog order. 

I feel like they're getting a  bit closer to that overall than maybe they had in the past.

• Like 1

I really wish Venezuela still rocked maroon as it's primary color. Colombia could use a different font on the front and back (and yellow jerseys). I'm not one to tell someone how to celebrate their nation but if you have a unique color in your catalog, i expect you to blast it!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, raysox said:

I really wish Venezuela still rocked maroon as it's primary color. Colombia could use a different font on the front and back (and yellow jerseys). I'm not one to tell someone how to celebrate their nation but if you have a unique color in your catalog, i expect you to blast it!

Colombia's 2017 home jerseys were good in this regard.

marimon_sugarray-scaled.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, raysox said:

They at least have burgundy options this WBC, although still paired with the idiotic blue/red helmet. The national teams are known as La Vinotinto, this crap is color by numbers.

world-baseball-classic-pool-d-venezuela-v-puerto-rico.jpg?s=2048x2048&w=gi&k=20&c=LVYmhOLTd2ovH4Uv1cOx1sXkbOfWUjIrIMMkQ8Vm720=

They got it right the first time, all the way back in 2006:

world-baseball-classic-venezuela-v-australia.jpg?s=2048x2048&w=gi&k=20&c=wcyuNhQAsZ68xQ0hkpkB21Lr-TQA2SkuhVg2dkMEEio=

world-baseball-classic-italy-v-venezuela.jpg?s=2048x2048&w=gi&k=20&c=Ar0hIM2niHSyVjwy8myZlPF_Efusvw0bYTOe9JYjjUA=

• Like 4

5 hours ago, RichardO said:

That's the key to me- I want teams to look like teams in that country's top league (or for the Netherlands, some hybrid of Aruba/Curacao and the Honkbal league) . In a weird way the Team GB uniform feels right because I can't imagine a British baseball team having something that doesn't look like a catalog order. 

I feel like they're getting a  bit closer to that overall than maybe they had in the past.

I can't figure out exactly if there's pro baseball (like we know it) in the UK - I mean, there is, but I can't tell what their top-tier league is or how the system works.  Regardless, here's some teams that I think are tier-1.  Their uniforms are relatively conservative, but nothing like the sheeeeit that their WBC ones are.

London Mets

8aec02_4d34c2054a524ee5b0a2310165eb96c1~

31+Paul+smith+(2).jpg

Baseball1-w660h401.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Why does everyone who’s made/designed major sport uniforms, feel the need to have toilet bowl collars? Like seriously, who signs off on those, saying they look good?? And why is it impossible for them to complete the circle on their uniform style? Just an obnoxious, weird, little, thing…

• Like 7

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

14 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Why does everyone who’s made/designed major sport uniforms, feel the need to have toilet bowl collars? Like seriously, who signs off on those, saying they look good?? And why is it impossible for them to complete the circle on their uniform style? Just an obnoxious, weird, little, thing…

I'm getting major 2010s NFL flashbacks and I'm not happy about it. 

hi-res-182561905-quarterback-drew-brees-

• Like 2

BannerLogos.jpg

SF4.gif

On 3/12/2023 at 9:47 AM, BBTV said:

I don't see the issue here at all.  Sure some of the designs are completely terrible, but it's not MLB, and I like that some of the countries brought some flair to it rather than have it be the American standard of white v gray with mostly conservative designs. I'm surprised that anyone on these boards would be against teams having their own designers and/or manufacturers. 

On 3/12/2023 at 9:59 AM, FinsUp1214 said:

This may ultimately be something the WBC doesn’t care all that much about, but I do view the poor quality of the uniforms across the tournament as a real problem for legitimizing the tournament. If they want this to truly be treated as a big, global-stage event, it needs to look like one. This isn’t a matter of big-name manufacturers vs. little-name; the FIFA World Cup has all sorts of manufacturers too. It’s about craft, execution, and quality, and no team participating in a major world baseball tournament should have a wordmark the size of an index card on the front center of the jersey or look like rec league teams. The single manufacturer uniforms of past tournaments looked so much more legitimate.

On 3/12/2023 at 10:12 AM, BBTV said:

If they want it to look like a global event, then it should look like an American one.  

I know that's not exactly what you said, but it kinda is (and what others have said).  

Some of the designs absolutely suck - Great Britain's tiny wordmark, Canada's everything, Taiwan's logo, Italy, and even Cuba.  But again, different parts of the world have different established aesthetics.  I thought it was cool that Cuba seemed to always wear mono red in international tournaments.  I think it's cool that the Latin-American countries are bright and colorful, which reflects aspects of their culture that are in stark contrast to the relatively conservative North American way of things.

To look like a "global" event... it should look like a global event.  

I'm a little late to this discussion, but I agree with you both, in a way.

Personally, I've always liked for leagues/tournaments to have one overarching manufacturer, as it tends to help with uniformity (no pun intended) in quality across the teams. I agree with @FinsUp1214 that a single manufacturer makes things look more legitimate/official, at least in my eyes. 

I also agree with @BBTV that I love when countries have their own unique "flair," like Cuba's red pants & other Latin American countries' bright & colorful palettes, or Japan's interesting pinstripes, or China's (awesome) dragon logo.

This brings up an interesting discussion of how much our aesthetic tastes are influenced by culture. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Really enjoyed seeing Team Mexico's alternates in action last night:

spacer.png

Too bad they couldn't get matching equipment, because the green and red helmets with baby blue and pink looked awful.

This shade of pink should be what the Marlins are using.

• Like 12

I'm British and the "T" falling off is how I learn we have a national baseball team. That may be ignorance on my part but probably shows how well the sport is covered here.

I don't follow baseball too closely but thanks to my time on these boards I at least have an understanding of the aesthetics and what makes a uniform work - the only part I don't get is why road uniforms are usually grey, but I guess that's one of baseball's traditions. With that said; Great Britain has one of the most half-arsed uniforms I've ever seen, and it's also exactly what I'd expect from them.

• Like 6

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

5 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

I'm British and the "T" falling off is how I learn we have a national baseball team. That may be ignorance on my part but probably shows how well the sport is covered here.

I don't follow baseball too closely but thanks to my time on these boards I at least have an understanding of the aesthetics and what makes a uniform work - the only part I don't get is why road uniforms are usually grey, but I guess that's one of baseball's traditions. With that said; Great Britain has one of the most half-arsed uniforms I've ever seen, and it's also exactly what I'd expect from them.

The BBC didn't even mention them until this week. Not really surprised since they only seem to cover Olympic sports in the year before a winter or summer Olympics event. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png