MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

This is really really good. First City Connect of the year and we already have a good one.

https://news.sportslogos.net/2023/03/27/for-the-a-and-the-hammer-atlanta-braves-unveil-new-city-connect-uniforms/baseball/

atlanta-braves-city-connect-uniform-new-

These are nice, but a bit underwhelming. They feel less like a tribute to the culture of Atlanta and more like a tribute to the Braves themselves, which seems to miss the point of the City Connect program. Seeing as the primary inspiration for this set was apparently Hank Aaron, this would've been the perfect opportunity to incorporate some sort of hammer logo based on the tomahawk. I also find it kind of funny that the uniform that inspired this design was only worn by Aaron for three of his 21 seasons playing for Milwaukee/Atlanta. 

I'm sure they'll sell like hotcakes amongst Braves fans, though. 

25 minutes ago, Sport said:

Rumor is that the Reds will be black jersey with black pants so, if true, that sucks. 

Meh, could be cool if true. Imagine these uniforms but black instead of navy:

spacer.png

• Like 4

I think it’s a nice fauxback. Doesn’t need the “The”, of course, which is a silly concession to the eyeroll parts of the program. 

The sleeve graphic is the only thing that really lets this down. Feels like they just wanted to avoid the cultural fight of using the feather again, so they came up with this as a replacement, but it looks too off… like a really poor knockoff of the real thing. The Nikespeak can explain it however they’d like, but that’s how it reads to me.

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, Digby said:

I think it’s a nice fauxback. Doesn’t need the “The”, of course, which is a silly concession to the eyeroll parts of the program. 

The sleeve graphic is the only thing that really lets this down. Feels like they just wanted to avoid the cultural fight of using the feather again, so they came up with this as a replacement, but it looks too off… like a really poor knockoff of the real thing. The Nikespeak can explain it however they’d like, but that’s how it reads to me.

They should've just made the sleeve design the shape of an A and fill in the top negative space with red. It would look good aesthetically and obviously fit with the brand. Other than that though, this looks really good and is still recognizable as the Braves. I'm sure it'll sell like Waffle House on a Saturday evening in Atlanta. 

• Like 2
  • WOAH 1

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I've been conditioned to think of Atlanta as "The ATL" since that's what's on every other team's jersey there.  But now it's just "The A"?  The "the" is ridiculous, and clearly slapped on there so that it looked just a little different than a regular jersey (it'd be a fine-enough alt without that.)

Regarding the Reds, I'm in favor of ridding them of black.  I thought the Griffey-era set looked nice even with it, but now it's so completely intrusive - especially how it makes the NOB nearly illegible.  They could actually keep their current set with the gimmicky font if they dropped the black.

If they go for black top/pants for CC, then as long as the belt contrasts it might be alright.  I have a feeling that if this is true, they'll force red pinstripes onto it (like the old Bulls alt) which may look great... or not.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The "codes" at the start are references to different things in Pirates history. The shot at the end is a pretty ubiquitous shot of Pittsburgh. So, really, I don't know what we can get from it, if anything.

My prediction is the name on the front will say "The Burgh" and the uniform won't be going for a "Steel City" type theme (like this Pitt uniform, for example). Other than that... I have no clue. There are a lot of different ways they could go. Hopefully we get more clues over the next three months.

• Like 1

oBIgzrL.png

The Braves City Connect is fine, but flying so close to a uniform set that is still occasionally worn feels lazy. Special series uniforms sound fun in theory, but the NBA, NHL, and MLB have shown that they are underwhelming as a whole. The idea has gone stale incredibly fast. 

• Like 5

I dreaded the Braves release because I just KNEW it would get fumbled somehow. As it turns out, they played it extremely safe. I don't love it. I don't hate it. I did, however, breathe a sigh of relief. This middle-of-the-road entry won't be among the worst; honestly, that's the best I could hope for. 

• Like 1