NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

My idea for the lions is to borrow from one of their old logos.  Nix the TV numbers and put two vertical stripes that match this old logo on the shoulders/sleeves.  They could put the current lion there, or just have the stripes and leave it alone.  If they're absolutely hell bent on having a wordmark on the sleeves, I guess it goes in front of the stripes - but ideally, the sleeve wordmark experiment is over.

Then just slap a varsity block font like the Sanders set and call it a day.  The stripe pattern works on both the blue and the white jersey.  For the pants, there's no need for blue pants at all.  Just have the silver (now grey, unfortunately) with the same striping pattern as the sleeves.  The gray stripe can have a thin blue border to make it more visible.  

The helmet striping would stay symmetrical, just be simplified.  The Sanders era would work, as would a reversal (w-b-w).

13173.jpg

I found this version that someone made that shows what it could look like on the white jersey with a modern lion:

66a4b98325564c84f245b634bacc371a.png

(not sure who to credit, but image source is this: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/412572015837635252/ which states that it's pulled from a site called OffficialPSDs.  I assume it's stolen from a forum like this, so if it's yours please say so.)

Edit:  Credit GFB for concept.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

41 minutes ago, BBTV said:

My idea for the lions is to borrow from one of their old logos.  Nix the TV numbers and put two vertical stripes that match this old logo on the shoulders/sleeves.  They could put the current lion there, or just have the stripes and leave it alone.  If they're absolutely hell bent on having a wordmark on the sleeves, I guess it goes in front of the stripes - but ideally, the sleeve wordmark experiment is over.

Then just slap a varsity block font like the Sanders set and call it a day.  The stripe pattern works on both the blue and the white jersey.  For the pants, there's no need for blue pants at all.  Just have the silver (now grey, unfortunately) with the same striping pattern as the sleeves.  The gray stripe can have a thin blue border to make it more visible.  

The helmet striping would stay symmetrical, just be simplified.  The Sanders era would work, as would a reversal (w-b-w).

13173.jpg

I found this version that someone made that shows what it could look like on the white jersey with a modern lion:

(not sure who to credit, but image source is this: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/412572015837635252/ which states that it's pulled from a site called OffficialPSDs.  I assume it's stolen from a forum like this, so if it's yours please say so.)

Some vertical stripes mimicking the logo could be fun.

Some inspiration:

spacer.png

• Like 11

On 3/2/2023 at 4:07 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Just as a quick mental impression, the Lions don't necessarily feel like a team that changes their uniforms all the time, but in reality, they absolutely are. In fact, unless I'm forgetting some other team, they are tied with Jacksonville (who definitely does feel like a team that changes uniforms constantly) with the most in the NFL in this century.  Both have four official uniform changes, and unless you count alts, color rushes, and throwbacks, no one else has more than 3. And after 2024, the Lions will have 5. That FIVE in 25 years, in a league that doesn't let you change more than once every 5 years... the math already doesn't seem possible.

spacer.png

I actually feel like their current uniform is entirely salvageable. I'd get rid of the lettering on both sleeves, drop all occurrences of the dark gray and the white practice pants, and get a non-italicized number font, and I'd be all set. 

The last one sure beats the hell out of the two with the tacked-on black trim.

I'm not sure how logical it is, but I always think of teams whose uniforms are constantly changing as poorly run, across all sports.

The first picture is 1975-2002 (with slight modifications).

8 hours ago, BBTV said:

👋

7 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

That looks... familiar.

spacer.png

This was intentional because at the time of the concept (2006ish), the Jaguar Car Company, who had threatened legal action over the original Jacksonville Jaguars logo, was a subsidiary of the Ford Motor Company, who famously owns the Detroit Lions.

• Like 11
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

Do we know why the Jags eventually dropped the silver? They probably could have just removed the jumping jaguar from the jersey should and mirrored the stripes on the other side

spacer.png

The replacement logo had no silver, so keeping it in the uniform, as well as having the same helmet color as the other new team in the league, probably led to them ditching silver altogether. 

• Like 7

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, AgentColon2 said:

Do we know why the Jags eventually dropped the silver? They probably could have just removed the jumping jaguar from the jersey should and mirrored the stripes on the other side

spacer.png

If you weren't alive in the 90's and are wondering what it was like, find an Arsenio Hall clip on Youtube, blast some Alanis Morisette on your DVD and stare at this uniform.

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

39 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

I was assuming the latter. Where was there silver in the original logo?

Jacksonville Jaguars 1995 Prototype.jpg | Paul | Flickr

It was in the outline of the jaguar on the jerseys and I believe it was in the wordmark as well.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Of all the weird crap tacked on the this idea, the TV number on one sleeve only always struck me as the weirdest. 

I think that was Champion trying to come up with something new.  But I agree, it's a weird look. IT's also amazing how quickly they were able to put out an updated identity in under a year. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Of all the weird crap tacked on the this idea, the TV number on one sleeve only always struck me as the weirdest. 

Not the triple-outlined numbers, asymetrical cuff striping, or giant jaguar logo leaping through the players neck? The single TV number fits quite normally considering everything else in the uniform, though it'd be unheard of on any other uniform.

Would love to see this concept be brought back as a throwback just for the memes. It's the most 90's uniform to ever exist, and it's tacky as all hell. I love it. I miss the days when the Jaguars' uniforms had a personality.

• Like 5

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

1 hour ago, Captain Poncho said:

And against the Texans, no less...

serious-man-eating-popcorn-u2w6ifdmmx208

• Like 16

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

12 hours ago, Pigskin12 said:

Of all the teams that badly need rebrands, the Lions, whose fairly recent rebrand was perfectly fine, are one of the only teams in the discussion? 

How many more years do we need to look at these Arizona and Denver atrocities?

Denver is not an atrocity (unless they go white over blue, that's the only way).

• Like 8
  • Dislike 1

22 hours ago, PERRIN said:

Not the triple-outlined numbers, asymetrical cuff striping, or giant jaguar logo leaping through the players neck? The single TV number fits quite normally considering everything else in the uniform, though it'd be unheard of on any other uniform.

Would love to see this concept be brought back as a throwback just for the memes. It's the most 90's uniform to ever exist, and it's tacky as all hell. I love it. I miss the days when the Jaguars' uniforms had a personality.

I remember when they unveiled the Panthers I was happy. When I saw that monstrosity in USA Today, the next Monday, in COLOR, you talk about getting puckered up. Thank Jaguar Car Co. for jumping on that. That was the definition of "Maybe a little too too much?"

• Like 1
PersonDivided-2-1.png