NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

So in the NFL teams seem to wear uniforms they are successful in more often (Bucs white/pewter, rams white/yellow after they won SB LVI, etc.) The opposite practice could be true also. So given yesterday's result, how long until the Broncos burn the orange jerseys and cyber-horse look and do a full rebrand back to the classic D logo? Next season?

ClAFLDa.png

38 minutes ago, Michael Bolton said:

So in the NFL teams seem to wear uniforms they are successful in more often (Bucs white/pewter, rams white/yellow after they won SB LVI, etc.) The opposite practice could be true also. So given yesterday's result, how long until the Broncos burn the orange jerseys and cyber-horse look and do a full rebrand back to the classic D logo? Next season?

Reverting back to the old D logo would be so lazy. Especially because their current logo works so much better. The Broncos 90s-current brand has some really good strengths IMO.

The logo and the number font are both great. What brings it down is the navy instead of the old blue and the jersey side panels. I'd like to see them wear their 90's uniforms but swapping the number font and the helmet logo for their current ones. To me, that would be the ideal Broncos look.

They managed to do almost the exact opposite with their Color Rush look. They ditched the better logo and numbers but kept the worse colors. The only thing they did right there was ditch the side panels.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

4 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

Reverting back to the old D logo would be so lazy. Especially because their current logo works so much better. The Broncos 90s-current brand has some really good strengths IMO.

Agreed. The Broncos are more than welcome to wear 80s gear 3x a year in alternate form. They work great as throwbacks, but I don't care to see them 16 times a year forever and ever. And to bail on the current look when it carries such a CHAMPIONSHIP tradition for a team who was in the same sentence as the Minnesota Vikings and Buffalo Bills pre-cyberhorse.

If the Broncos were to modify their look (since it seems like ownership is kicking the tires on the idea), a Cyberhorse/throwback hybrid would be acceptable, I suppose.

Broncos Uniform Concept | Broncos uniforms, Football helmets, Broncos

• Like 13

6uXNWAo.png

2 hours ago, Michael Bolton said:

I dunno, but I was glad to see they were following the white-sock trend when they got stomped. Hopefully that won’t recur. 

On 9/23/2023 at 10:49 PM, fouhy12 said:

Wasn't this mostly a Chiefs thing? Tbh I didn't hate it, it makes sense for the stripes on your arms to match the ones on your legs. 

IIRC that was mostly Washington doing that.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Jalen Hurts got tacked by his slob shirt today, and it cost them a 1st down.  The announcers made mention about how his t-shirt held him back.  That trend is far more egregious than white socks.

• Like 11

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wellp, the plot thickens...

I'm not sure whether this should go here or in the SiG forum, I definitely ain't finna start a new thread on this, and mods can feel free to MOD EDIT this completely out of the conversation, BUTTT...the Washington former Football Team formerly known as the R-words name and identity plot drama just took on yet another level of uh-oh.

Just a little bit of a snippet:

"The name ['R******s'] carries deep cultural, historical, and emotional significance, honoring the bravery, resilience, and warrior spirit associated with Native American culture," the NAGA complaint states.

The [R******s] were, it adds, "the only team in the National Football League (NFL) to honor an actual Native American."

Central to the NAGA argument is that the [R******s] name and logo were inspired by real historic tribal leaders who played influential roles in American history and that this factual narrative was obliterated by the NCAI.

(Spoiler alert: George Soros' name pops up in this drama.)

Now, I will say this, having traveled all lower 48 states and 49 of 50 and having seen/known this myself with my own eyes/experience: there were and are plenty of tribes in the upper midwest, mainly in North Dakota,  Oklahoma, and Montana, who embraced the former Chief  White Calf-inspired logo, just based on that fact that a/ I saw some indigenous wearing the merch and b/me asking them about it. (Shoot, somewhere in I believe Oklahoma was a Native hihh school whose athletic nickname was, in fact, the R—well, that.) That said, support/dissent of the name/identity varied from tribe to tribe, and sometimes even within tribes/Native ingroups, as evidenced by the number of Lakota who nearly chewed my head off for me daring to wear my Florida State Chief Osceola hoodie my first few times traveling/working and eventually living up in South Dakota...which just about all of them thought was the Washington Re—well, them, until I explained it was for Florida State. Didn't make a difference to many, which is why I eventually quit wearing anything Chief Osceola-related up there out of respect to them, once I heard and understood their perspective on the Re—umm, that controversy. 

That said, obviously as is reported in the link above, there's always been dissenting views of the controversy, and the story should also serve as further evidence that no one body speaks nor should try to speak/spin the narrative for an entirely of a particular population—and that "special interest politics" abound even amongst the Indigenous peoples of this nation (then again that's also been going on since even before the confederation became a "nation". Anyway, so there's another perspective out there is all, and coupled with Harris' reported abhorrence of the current Commanders identity, perhaps this may further fuel the flames of change in DC??

• WOAH 1
  • Eyeroll 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

27 minutes ago, tBBP said:

I'm not sure whether this should go here or in the SiG forum, I definitely ain't finna start a new thread on this, and mods can feel free to MOD EDIT this completely out of the conversation, BUTTT...the Washington former Football Team formerly known as the R-words name and identity plot drama just took on yet another level of uh-oh.

Now, I will say this, having traveled all lower 48 states and 49 of 50 and having seen/known this myself with my own eyes/experience: there were and are plenty of tribes in the upper midwest, mainly in North Dakota,  Oklahoma, and Montana, who embraced the former Chief  White Calf-inspired logo, just based on that fact that a/ I saw some indigenous wearing the merch and b/me asking them about it. (Shoot, somewhere in I believe Oklahoma was a Native hihh school whose athletic nickname was, in fact, the R—well, that.) That said, support/dissent of the name/identity varied from tribe to tribe, and sometimes even within tribes/Native ingroups, as evidenced by the number of Lakota who nearly chewed my head off for me daring to wear my Florida State Chief Osceola hoodie my first few times traveling/working and eventually living up in South Dakota...which just about all of them thought was the Washington Re—well, them, until I explained it was for Florida State. Didn't make a difference to many, which is why I eventually quit wearing anything Chief Osceola-related up there out of respect to them, once I heard and understood their perspective on the Re—umm, that controversy. 

That said, obviously as is reported in the link above, there's always been dissenting views of the controversy, and the story should also serve as further evidence that no one body speaks nor should try to speak/spin the narrative for an entirely of a particular population—and that "special interest politics" abound even amongst the Indigenous peoples of this nation (then again that's also been going on since even before the confederation became a "nation". Anyway, so there's another perspective out there is all, and coupled with Harris' reported abhorrence of the current Commanders identity, perhaps this may further fuel the flames of change in DC??

At the end of the day they will not go back to R*******, it's a slur by definition and Josh Harris said as much recently-

"Obviously, I grew up in D.C. and I was there during the glory years, so I understand why fans love the former name," Harris said

"But look, there was a portion of our fanbase that felt disrespected by the former name," Harris continued. "Sports are supposed to bring people together and not be a distraction. I don't want distractions ... I thought it was important that we end the conversation." 

Like you point out, one Native American group saying otherwise is just that, one group amongst a diverse group of people with opinions to the contrary. I don't think it's really worth discussing anymore. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

spacer.png

43 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Cormac McCarthy rolled in his grave at the amount of punctuation in this post.

• LOL 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

9 hours ago, BBTV said:

Jalen Hurts got tacked by his slob shirt today, and it cost them a 1st down.  The announcers made mention about how his t-shirt held him back.  That trend is far more egregious than white socks.

This is the funniest damn part about all of this. I remember a college game last season where a kick returner for Miss St was definitely gone but got his stretchy undershirt grabbed, and after it expanded for like 8 yards between him and the tackler, it slowed him down enough that he got caught from behind. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, henburg said:

At the end of the day they will not go back to R*******, it's a slur by definition and Josh Harris said as much recently-

"Obviously, I grew up in D.C. and I was there during the glory years, so I understand why fans love the former name," Harris said

"But look, there was a portion of our fanbase that felt disrespected by the former name," Harris continued. "Sports are supposed to bring people together and not be a distraction. I don't want distractions ... I thought it was important that we end the conversation." 

Like you point out, one Native American group saying otherwise is just that, one group amongst a diverse group of people with opinions to the contrary. I don't think it's really worth discussing anymore. 

Well, I think it's worthy of a discussion to be honest. In my view, it seems like the name in particular was the issue. If the Chiefs, Blackhawks, Seminoles, etc are all okay because their name isn;t a slur but their NA imagery is fine, then why change the entire branding? Why not change to a tribe name? And keep the helmet logo that was created by a Native American. 

Furthermore, I think that the concern that this group of Native Americans is bringing up is legitimate. They have stripped the branding of all NA imagery for a brand that leans on military imagery. The same military that at one point corralled them into reservations and took their land. 

There was a real opportunity in my eyes to do something really great to honor these cultures. Instead, they completely erased it. 

• Like 1

In hindsight, there's probably a decent argument to be made that keeping the logo/uniforms and just changing the name to something more respectful would have appeased everyone. On the other hand, they were still owned by Dan Snyder at the time and he was always going to handle this in the dumbest and most ridiculous way possible.

• Like 7

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12