College Football 2023

Rixaroo

42 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

The Bridgewater era unis are great, but I don't mind the current set with the Oregon-esque wings, they just need to put the full color logo on the helmets, and then it should be good. That and probably stick with more traditional combos (i.e. w/r/w. w/w/r)

Louisville Unveils New Field Design for L&N Stadium - Sports Illustrated Louisville  Cardinals News, Analysis and More

With his taking pride of place at midfield, do we expect to see the full logo on the helmets as well? 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, radchad said:

Colorado's current set is solid, but their classic striped look exceeds it by a mile. It won't happen, but man I wish they'd go back to these.
Best case / Worst case: Colorado Football 2015

meh, as a colorado alum I think these are hokey in comparison to the current ones. I get they wore these in the glory years but they need some modernizations.

the current uniforms have the italicized font and numbers that match the logo motion and the bolder double layer numbers are stronger and make it look less like a catalog look. I can live with adding stripes to the current look but I think with such solid and restrained color blocking between helmet/jersey/pants it is ultimately unneeded. 

side note that pic of coach mac feels like it encapsulates his tenure at CU

• Like 3

I don't have a strong opinion on mascot logos, but definitely prefer when teams update them like Nebraska just did, rather than just bring back the old illustration.  They don't translate that well to uniform applications, especially as helmet logos.  

• Like 4

On 5/3/2023 at 9:58 AM, MJWalker45 said:

Louisville Unveils New Field Design for L&N Stadium - Sports Illustrated Louisville  Cardinals News, Analysis and More

With his taking pride of place at midfield, do we expect to see the full logo on the helmets as well? 

It's a shame they just slapped the new head on the old mascot logo. While it's cleaner and the line work is sharper, the newer cardinal head looks like it's looking up and away at an angle to its right; kind of like it got distracted by something. This is as opposed to the old logo looking straight ahead (or straight behind, as is the case for the older full-mascot logo) or maybe just slightly up.

spacer.png

I guess there are trade-offs with the cleaner line work, etc. But the older version looks more alive, for lack of a better way to describe it.

• Like 2

Can we please just get rid of the damn teeth? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Dislike 1

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

Maryland's decision to revert (regress?) to their script unis is very disappointing. But, frankly, I'm just as disappointed as how static Under Armour & MD had let the design become. The original designs were outlandish, but in a unique conversation-starter way. It felt like UA was trying to position MD to be their Oregon -- their poster child for whatever bleeding edge design and technologcial innovation UA could come up with. But to do that, UA neededto keep tweaking, pushing, and iterating on the design. The moment they stood still, the design was goin to become dated very quickly -- and that's exactly what happy. 

Their basketball uniforms are in the same boat -- no propulsive momentum, and no legacy (on the men's side). And, unlike MD football, MD basketball has a legitimately deep reservoir of nostalgia for national relevance to reference & exploit. I think there's a stronger branding case for MD basketball to revert to the Bias-era unis (the '00s unis are also fine, but use fonts and an "M" logo that have been phased out). 

• Like 4

On 5/6/2023 at 9:39 PM, 4_tattoos said:

UNC's football team needs to figure out how to put these stripes on the sleeves of their jerseys

University of North Carolina Athletics - Official Athletics Website

Agree 100%, this looks better than the argyle just kind of sitting on its own, and preserves the thicker striping pattern that's on the popular throwbacks. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, UNI/OSU/SMU said:

Oklahoma State teasing new uniforms release tomorrow!!

Indeed they are. Hopefully this means they'll pare down the helmet selection a little bit. 

• Like 3

AmPJ0Ty.png 

2 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

Those are SWEET. Love that they have both black-heavy and orange-heavy white jerseys as well. 

That's my favorite part too. I'm an Okstate alum and have been wanting the two white options for years. Always made more sense than having a gray jersey.

My main issue is with the template for how low the wordmark and numbers are on the front of the jersey. Wish we could scooch it up a bit.

• Like 5

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

53 minutes ago, NH4 said:

4_wide.jpg

8_long.jpg

7_wide.jpg

5_long.jpg

Basically the Barry Sanders uniforms with the updated word mark on the chest and 2 white jerseys. Pretty good

Home. Freakin. Run. Took their most iconic look and added enough modern elements to make it feel fresh. Usually not a fan of having 2 jerseys of the same color (white), but it will work well with the combos they usually like to dish out. Wish the wordmark was a bit higher, but I guess that's the impact of the new template. Not too much of a nitpick.

Just more proof you don't need to overdesign something to make it feel modern. Just stick with what works and tweak it from there.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Interesting they go with the stylized wordmark but plain block numbers. I wouldn’t hate a stylized number font similar to the wordmark. It looks classy without being over the top. Two complaints I believe would help a lot:

I wish they would limit the number of helmet decals in rotation. The reveal still shows off multiple designs with two white (classic logo and script Cowboys), orange with script Cowboys, and black Pistol Pete. The script Cowboys does nothing for me. Maybe limit it to the OSU logo and Pete in various colors. Using so many different decals makes the uniform feel less cohesive.

Try to match the weight and thickness of the helmet stripe to the sleeve stripe. The last photo above with the all white uni highlights how they use the same stripe pattern and yet they look very different.

Overall, nice job. Also interesting: this is another team going away from a logo on the collar (Texas was another). Both have chest wordmarks but this could be the start of a trend to more minimalist designs. Maybe teams have seen how cluttered that area can get with patches?

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

OK State looks great. Only a minor nitpick, because the block numbers are perfectly serviceable, maybe a # font matching the wordmark would be nice. Also, I’ve never really liked Pistol Pete on the helmet. They really only need OSU and the cowboys script IMO. Also, also, I’m OVER matte and satin helmet finishes. I’d kill for a nice high-gloss black helmet, it’s such a sharp look. Still, these uniforms are pretty good. Huge upgrade

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Overall, nice job. Also interesting: this is another team going away from a logo on the collar (Texas was another). Both have chest wordmarks but this could be the start of a trend to more minimalist designs. Maybe teams have seen how cluttered that area can get with patches?

I dont mind the collar logo, but I do feel you shouldnt have it AND a wordmark on your jersey. Pick one or the other. I'm glad teams that have traditionally had wordmarks are steering away from the logo. To me, the purpose of the logo is to help identify what team it is for fan replicas.

1 hour ago, NH4 said:

4_wide.jpg

8_long.jpg

7_wide.jpg

5_long.jpg

Basically the Barry Sanders uniforms with the updated word mark on the chest and 2 white jerseys. Pretty good

Okay, so...on the one hand, I lament the loss of the now-previous OK ST branding, because that might have been my favorite in all of CFB and one of my favorites in sports period. Specifically, I LOVED that custom paisley they had. (Side note: that pattern, and that brand in general, is telltale evidence of the greatness that Nike is capable of producing when they focus on designing for the team instead of trying to infuse themselves into the team's brand.) That said, all the gray/silver stuff was getting long in the tooth.

On the other hand...if they HAD to update, THIS is the way to do it. Simple orange, white and black...and I see they mixed in the Jason Keep-era OK ST basketball font, as well. I might have reduced the width of those cuff stripes a smidgen, but overall...this is a 10/10, with none of the obvious or even subtle Nikeistic design cues mixed in.

Clean and classic..."keep" it, Oklahoma State.

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||