2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

I'm not a fan of city nicknames and other stuff like that creeping into the Statement edition jerseys, which I thought was originally intended for the City edition set, and not the "core" jerseys of Icon, Association, and Statement. The Pelicans one is overall relatively harmless though - the Pistons Statement from last year is a far more egregious offender with the non-team color and unofficial font.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

It wasn't perfect but I actually liked how the black in their old logo added some contrast with the shadow effect.

r845988_1296x729_16-9.jpg

It would be even better if they flipped the black and blue.

spacer.png

• Like 11
  • Love 3

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

I'm really not a fan of city nicknames going on uniforms, especially ones that are just "___________ City". It also feels like the Pelicans are really pushing the Crescent City thing. When it started getting incorporated into the branding I assumed they just made it up. Googling crescent city doesn't even bring up New Orleans as a result.

Is "The Big Easy" just something tourists say that annoys the locals or something? It's always seemed like a pretty iconic city nickname, and if you were gonna throw something on a gimmicky jersey I would figure they'd go for that.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

It wasn't perfect but I actually liked how the black in their old logo added some contrast with the shadow effect.

r845988_1296x729_16-9.jpg

On a related note, the reason I vastly prefer the black shadow version is that it actually looks correct in terms of shading - the grey shadow makes no sense because it’s lighter than the blue or the orange, and the shadow as we all know should be darker than whatever area is highlighted. 

In short, this version you’ve posted looks correct to me whereas the current primary and its color tweaked predecessors not only look incorrect, but look completely opposite to how light and shadow should function upon it.

• Like 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

11 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I'm really not a fan of city nicknames going on uniforms, especially ones that are just "___________ City". It also feels like the Pelicans are really pushing the Crescent City thing. When it started getting incorporated into the branding I assumed they just made it up. Googling crescent city doesn't even bring up New Orleans as a result.

Is "The Big Easy" just something tourists say that annoys the locals or something? It's always seemed like a pretty iconic city nickname, and if you were gonna throw something on a gimmicky jersey I would figure they'd go for that.

I’ve lived in the New Orleans metro area my entire life. Crescent City is absolutely a nickname we’ve been saying long before this re-branding. Do we say it often? No, but we do use it. I feel that the “Big Easy” moniker is more well-known amongst tourists though.  

But for the love of all things holy, please never say N’Awlins. Locals don’t say that, and it’s a dead giveaway that you’re just a try-hard, out-of-towner.

• Like 8

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

20 hours ago, Digby said:

Basically how I'm thinking about it. I'm never a fan of nickname jerseys but "Crescent City" and the Pelicans font does at least work nicely with the over-and-under wordmark treatment. Feel like more gold somewhere in there would've done well to feel distinctly Pelicans.

The collar and arm trim needs a gold (outer) stripe too.

20 hours ago, DJT said:

these are fine. Don’t care for “crescent city”

The Pelicans just play it way too safe with their brand in general. I literally thought this was a new uniform for their G-League affiliate at first glance when scrolling past it. The side stripe is kinda interesting, but everything else is just boring.

• Like 4

spacer.png

3 hours ago, henburg said:

The Pelicans just play it way too safe with their brand in general.

I agree. For a city as eccentric as New Orleans their brand plays it REALLY safe. As a lifelong Utah Jazz fan I must admit it'd be interesting to see how the evolution of the team's brand would have gone if they stayed in New Orleans.

• Like 2

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

7 minutes ago, kimball said:

I agree. For a city as eccentric as New Orleans their brand plays it REALLY safe. As a lifelong Utah Jazz fan I must admit it'd be interesting to see how the evolution of the team's brand would have gone if they stayed in New Orleans.

The Pelicans are kind of weird this way. Because generally, I think their brand is really nice. I like the typefaces they use and I think the symmetrical pelican carrying the basketball is a fantastic logo. 

Yet despite that, they somehow feel really boring and forgettable. You could blame it on the colors, but I don't even know if that's really the issue.  Reminds me a lot of the Houston Texans in that sense. They have a nicely executed modern brand that's just really easy to ignore. 

• Like 8

yea i agree. the logos are great honestly. i mean you cant really ask for more from a team named the new orleans pelicans. all the concepts logos i've seen are always too gaudy, too silly, or just not fit for the nba. the pelicans logos are sleek, sharp, symmetrical, have good color balance, etc. that's when the whole scheme of modern and sleek works. but outside of that is when they fall off a cliff. even with the amount of freedom that nike gives they've failed to capitalize off what the city has to offer. you can just check https://basketballjerseyarchive.com/new-orleans-pelicans-jerseys/#2010s and see that all uniforms post-hornets have been mostly just copying and pasting off each other. imagine if the pelicans had a creative team that was on the level of teams like the hornets who always come out with crazy new jerseys or the heat who've made some of the craziest marketing videos i've seen (still blown away by those vice videos they made)

it sucks when youre a design geek plus pelicans fan living in new orleans and you see all this art and culture around you daily just to see your team do absolutely nothing with it. i dont think anyone wants them to step up their game more than i do. 

Edited by pelicanfan
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

The Pelicans are kind of weird this way. Because generally, I think their brand is really nice. I like the typefaces they use and I think the symmetrical pelican carrying the basketball is a fantastic logo. 

Yet despite that, they somehow feel really boring and forgettable. You could blame it on the colors, but I don't even know if that's really the issue.  Reminds me a lot of the Houston Texans in that sense. They have a nicely executed modern brand that's just really easy to ignore. 

I feel like blaming it on the colors is completely valid. Sure, they have gold but they never use it more than for trim.

Pels, Texans, Wizards, Patriots, Capitals, FL Panthers, and a bunch in MLB all come across as less interesting to me because of their navy/red scheme. It's a nice pair of colors for sure, but we see it so much that it's hard to envision that as part of an "identity". It's a bunch of flag colors, league logo colors, corporation colors, if you see navy/red next to a football or a baseball or basketball a team doesn't jump to mind. If you see purple/gold next to a basketball you know.

I don't have a better option for these teams this second, I just think it's the nature of the navy/red beast. It looks a little less fun and doesn't let you stand out, no matter how good your logo or type is.

• Like 2

On 7/25/2023 at 6:11 PM, DJT said:

these are fine. Don’t care for “crescent city”

Pelicans is one of those teams that don't need to change their alternate but this uniform is actually really nice, of course I'd prefer "Pelicans" or even "NOLA" as a wordmark but overall design works very well for them. I like that logos on shorts looks like they weren't centred when they are centred.

7 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

yea i agree. the logos are great honestly.

Except Primary/Global which now is terrible. Still can't understand why the hell they changed it.

• Like 1

4r2eer.png