2024 NFL Changes

Just now, oldschoolvikings said:

If you walked up to me on the street and asked me how many feet were in a mile I’d tell you 5280.  But if you randomly showed me a sports uniform that had that number on it, I don’t know that I’d immediately make the connection that that’s how many feet were in a mile, and that team is therefore from a city that’s a mile above sea level and blah blah…

Because it’s stupid.  

But Denver has been called “mile high” forever, they even play at “mile high stadium” for anyone not to get that simple reference is ignorant.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, dont care said:

But Denver has been called “mile high” forever, they even play at “mile high stadium” for anyone not to get that simple reference is ignorant.

I'd say then it should say Mile Hi...but then no IT SHOULDN'T SAY ANYTHING down the leg and just have a stripe.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BadSeed84 said:

I'd say then it should say Mile Hi...but then no IT SHOULDN'T SAY ANYTHING down the leg and just have a stripe.

I agree with you it shouldn’t, the issue is people not knowing what 5280 is or being intentionally oblivious to it.

41 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

If you walked up to me on the street and asked me how many feet were in a mile I’d tell you 5280.  But if you randomly showed me a sports uniform that had that number on it, I don’t know that I’d immediately make the connection that that’s how many feet were in a mile, and that team is therefore from a city that’s a mile above sea level and blah blah…

Because it’s stupid.  

I can't speak for other folk, but I'm probably more aware of otherwise obscure or at least relatively unknown factoids/tidbits/associations with certain cities due to having piloted between 80K and 84K lbs of hardware, human and cargo (and a bunch of unnecessary safety software) in and out of all of these places, so there's that.

54 minutes ago, dont care said:

At this point I’m just assuming it’s a running joke and people can’t be this oblivious.

If there is one thing I continue to marvel at in however many years its been of me being around these Creamerite parts (though I shouldn't be surprised just knowing the nature of some people in general) is the level of density and/or obliviousness in some people's heads...and it becomes blatantly obvious after they hit "post" and the evidence gets left on screen.* But that's another topic for another forum. 

Moving on...

38 minutes ago, BadSeed84 said:

When any element needs explaining of a backstory, it's crap. Sadly modern sports uniforms love this bull:censored:.

On one hand, I agree with you. BUT...at the same time, it's not always wise to assume everyone everywhere knows all the little unique little tidbits about other places/cultural aspects of these places. Big country, lots of people, and (again, alluding to my previous paragraph) some folk just either haven't had the chance or choose not to travel out of their own little pickets of whereverville (or make broadstroke generalizations about other places ignorant of actual feet-on-the-ground experience—but again, another topic for another forum.) 

All that said, I do find it neat when certain sports design/uniform design features incorporate previously obscure facets of local cultures.  As much as the whole City Edition (and now City Connect) program annoys me, I will give it/them credit for bringing some of that to light. Of course, some of those alternates do it way better than others (like here and here).

38 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I guess 1609 meters doesn’t roll off the tongue as well as 5280 feet.

No, it does not. It should, but you know the States got to be different from everywhere else in the world, because 'MURICA!!!4321 and all that....

Spoiler

*Not necessarily in reference to 5280, but other local/cultural aspects that some people don't know, haven't seen, dismiss or so quickly diss. But again...another topic for another forum.

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It all just reminds me of time on here when we were discussing a new NBA city-whatever uniform, and someone decided that I was being intentionally obtuse because I said I didn’t know that apparently every third street in Atlanta is named Peachtree.  

But in truth I really didn’t know that.  But much much more importantly I didn’t… and don’t… care what local significance Peachtree has. Because once again, it’s stupid.  

So yes, I know how many feet are in a mile.  But the very idea of sticking it on the uniform of a national brand sports team makes me want to;

A.  Play dumb to not give them the satisfaction, and…

B.  Punch them in the face for being way less clever than they think they are.  

• Like 4
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

I'm shocked by how many people either don't know or don't associate 5,280' with being a mile.

Why so shock? I was not even focused on that aspect of Colorado. I never been there and want to go there. I only been to San Diego, Miami, Kansas City, Dallas, Japan, Tucson, and Phoenix, and I knew their traits. I had forgotten Colorado's because I never focused on that aspect.

Honestly, I’d go as far as to say that the Texans’ set would be pretty perfect if they just switched to a red helmet and/or jersey as the primary. I’d maybe flip the colors of the stripes on the pants, or change them to match the “USC” stripes of the jersey, but that’s just nitpicking at that point.

I think the predominance of navy is what contributes a lot to the feeling of their set being “boring.” The red helmet really does wonders to brighten their set up. Red also just feels like more of a Houston color to me, and would help them stand out more in their division and in the NFL in general.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Honestly, I’d go as far as to say that the Texans’ set would be pretty perfect if they just switched to a red helmet and/or jersey as the primary. I’d maybe flip the colors of the stripes on the pants, or change them to match the “USC” stripes of the jersey, but that’s just nitpicking at that point.

I think the predominance of navy is what contributes a lot to the feeling of their set being “boring.” The red helmet really does wonders to brighten their set up. Red also just feels like more of a Houston color to me, and would help them stand out more in their division and in the NFL in general.

I don't know about boring, but they seem to have a similar problem to the Texas Rangers of baseball. The primary jerseys are caught between being a navy team and a red team. Hopefully the new jerseys will resolve that.

I will say that if the Texans wore the red helmet AND the red socks with their Color Rush it would have looked great. So more red might be a good idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

It all just reminds me of time on here when we were discussing a new NBA city-whatever uniform, and someone decided that I was being intentionally obtuse because I said I didn’t know that apparently every third street in Atlanta is named Peachtree.  

But in truth I really didn’t know that.  But much much more importantly I didn’t… and don’t… care what local significance Peachtree has. Because once again, it’s stupid.  

So yes, I know how many feet are in a mile.  But the very idea of sticking it on the uniform of a national brand sports team makes me want to;

A.  Play dumb to not give them the satisfaction, and…

B.  Punch them in the face for being way less clever than they think they are.  

Thinking it's dumb is fine, I agree that placing "5280" on a Broncos uniform would be dumb. That said, feigning obliviousness toward generally well known cultural facts does not reflect well on that point.

For the record, you were called obtuse because outside of claiming to be unaware of Georgia's status as the Peach state, your exact argument was "I would have no idea which team this uniform belongs to" referring to a uniform with Hawks logos on it.

• Like 5

spacer.png

I think the Texans are going to ruin their identity adding the lighter blue next year. I think if they want to go to a red helmet full time or add a alternate with the horns prominent similar to how the eagles use their wings that works just fine but adding oiler blue even as trim ruins their look. 

they have perfectly good uniforms in my opinion. Non-Houston fan here. Tennessee does the double blue decently well because red is the trim. I just don’t see it working well swapped. Tennessee should go back to a white helmet to remain a little less navy but theirs isn’t atrocious or anything. 

• Like 4

Houston's problem is the *way* it wears its uniforms, not the uniforms themselves. Unfortunately it's almost a guarantee that we will get monochrome dark, white and alternates with the redesign and they will be digging more into diluting their look than anything else. 

The color blocking -- sigh, that is barely a thing these days -- on the original uniform was so great. 

waf2sixbtw77vwskworw

• Like 16
  • Love 2

I said it on the site formerly known as Twitter, but the Texans are gonna make a very big mistake going away from this set and they're going to go the Minnesota Wild route of trying to chase back to what they got right from the word go afterwards

• Like 7

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Aijuswannabackthisuprightqwik, because truthfully, even though I always knew about the reason Atlanta has so many streets named Peachtree, I also thought it was dumb as heck to put THAT on the front of a basketball jersey.

(And while we're on this, it was/is just as dumb for Miami to spell out "Heat CULTURE" on their City jerseys. But this is the kind of stuff that happens when new designs are forced every year because 💰 talks...)

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

3 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Houston's problem is the *way* it wears its uniforms, not the uniforms themselves. Unfortunately it's almost a guarantee that we will get monochrome dark, white and alternates with the redesign and they will be digging more into diluting their look than anything else. 

The color blocking -- sigh, that is barely a thing these days -- on the original uniform was so great. 

waf2sixbtw77vwskworw

I wish I’d appreciated proper color blocking better back when it was commonplace. If it ever becomes commonplace again, I hope I don’t take it for granted. 

• Like 4

I mentioned this in another thread (or maybe it was this one?), but perhaps Houston missed their workaround of the Oilers IP. Rather than simply adding light blue to navy and red a la the 2003 LA Avengers (and for those who remember, the amount of light blue seemed to increase ever so slightly from the time they first added it as the slightest bit of trim), perhaps they should have explored co-opting the Colorado Rapids/West Ham United colorway of light blue and maroon/crimson/garnet...???

Just a thought...I or someone would have to concept that out to see how it'd look.