Players in the "wrong" uniforms

#66.

So what?

They were Flames uniforms--and the number is a number...

Nobody was going to confuse him for Mario--and there's no rule saying someone else can't use it.

And I doubt it bothered Mario.

Certainly, no one is going to confuse him with Lemieux. Just like there'd be no confusion with Gretzky if Jack Eichel trotted out wearing #99. Heck, more players have actually worn 99 than 66 in the NHL. But there's a reason no other NHLers have worn Lemieux's number and why you don't see AHL/Major Juniour players sharing around in Gretzky's.

I think there were 3 99s and 4 66s

Not going to go through it, but I'm fairly certain Rasheed Wallace's one-game stint with the Hawks is pictured somewhere in this thread. I'm here to document other short NBA stints.

Drew Gooden spent one game with the Kings:

And 19 games with the Spurs:

Ronny Turiaf spent 4 games with the Wizards:

Turiaf also spent 13 games with the Heat:

Keith Bogans played just 6 games for the Celtics:

More to come as I research, I'm sure. If any of these were mentioned already, I apologize.

Gooden spent time with probably 9 NBA teams, so he technically does and does not look weird in any uniform you put him in.

The other two (as well as Gooden) aren't nearly iconic enough for us to identify with a particular team.

I'm by no means saying they're iconic players, but even though Gooden is a nomad in terms of NBA teams, nobody will associate anybody with a team they only played a couple games for.

Wayne Gretzky in black and sliver (1988-96)

I don't think that's the wrong uniforms for Gretzky. Those kings unis were called the Gretzky era uniforms. Now Gretzky in a blues uniform, THATwas wrong.

What about in a Rangers uni, that was even worse !

Atleast he could have come home to Canada in his twilight years, the elephant graveyard known as Toronto would have been more fitting, Greatz as a Ranger was a lame joke, trying desperately for one last ring, but the bulk of the Olier mercenaries were gone

Gretzky in the wrong L.A. uniform.

gretzkydodgers.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I don't think that's the wrong uniforms for Gretzky. Those kings unis were called the Gretzky era uniforms. Now Gretzky in a blues uniform, THATwas wrong.

Atleast he could have come home to Canada in his twilight years, the elephant graveyard known as Toronto would have been more fitting, Greatz as a Ranger was a lame joke, trying desperately for one last ring, but the bulk of the Olier mercenaries were gone

gretzkydodgers.jpg

Shouldn't he be with Keanu Reeves?

• Like 1

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

gretzkydodgers.jpg

Shouldn't he be with Keanu Reeves?

Excellent! (air guitar)

• Like 1

Yeah...no. When you wear a uniform for 7 and a half years, it's not the wrong uniform. Those Kings uniforms are even called the Gretzky era uniforms. In fact there's probably no other uniform in sports more closely associated with one single player.

• Like 1

26312-121Fr.jpgZo_w_Nets_medium.jpgint1b.jpg

Just 3 big-name centers who somehow found themselves playing a couple games in NJ.

I'd completely forgotten Muresan played for the Nets. Now that my memory's been jogged, I remember him in New Jersey in video games I played as a kid. I guess that just slipped out over the years.

Also, I really miss those uniforms. A lot.

• Like 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Just 3 big-name centers who somehow found themselves playing a couple games in NJ.

I only see 2 big name centers and the Romanian Shawn Bradley.

Y'all asked for it...

shawn-bradley.jpg

I didn't know Floyd Mayweather played for the Nets............

That was my first thought when I saw that picture.... Glad I'm not alone.

untitled-6.jpg

I'd completely forgotten Muresan played for the Nets. Now that my memory's been jogged, I remember him in New Jersey in video games I played as a kid. I guess that just slipped out over the years.

Also, I really miss those uniforms. A lot.

Hear, hear! Short of bringing back the classic ABA uniforms, the best thing the Nets could have done would have been to stick with a version of these. If they wanted to convert this set to black and white, that would have been OK, I guess. (Even though this set used red and blue together better than any other uniform does, better than the Minnesota Twins, the Washington Wizards, the Buffalo Bills, and even the venerable Montreal Canadiens.) But this wordmark and these numbers are far better than the unattractively thin and wispy lettering they have now. And the diamond pattern down the sides of this beautiful set cleverly invokes a net.

These uniforms were used for the longest period in team history, and are identified with the team's high point in the NBA, the two trips to the Finals. Ditching this set completely was a bad move. The Nets' current uniforms annoy me more and more as time goes on, doubly so when I consider how much of a downgrade they are from the previous set.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png