New Twins Wordmark

no97

I don't get all the love for Summit. Summit EPA is the flagship beer of a brand that, much like Kansas City's Boulevard, is a macrobrewery/microbrewery hybrid reliant upon marketing and civic pride more than taste and craftsmanship. Summit is packaged and sold as the better-quality alternative, but what I've had has been thinly flavored and lacking in complexity.

If I want a local brew, I go for Surly. They go out of their way to keep production down and are careful enough to can (instead of bottle) their beers to prevent spoilage and flavor loss. So what if a bottled beer seems classier? It's not like I'm going to drink it out of a can.

Eh, personal taste.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not yet had Surly. I'm going to disagree with the above statements about Summit, though. I'm rather much a fan of the EPA, and also like the IPA.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Gluek. Just name dropping, carry on.

FYI, Gluek is bottled in Cold Spring, (right by me!) and this same bottling plant is the one that did Billy Beer.

I honestly have not had Gluek. I also like Grain Belt. This coming from someone who likes PBR, so that that FWIW.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Summit EPA is the flagship beer of a brand that, much like Kansas City's Boulevard, is a macrobrewery/microbrewery hybrid reliant upon marketing and civic pride more than taste and craftsmanship.

Hey hey hey - Leave Boulevard out of this! I love that beer and have turned on many a hard drinking Austinite onto it since its arrival early last year, with absolutely no marketing in Tejas. Anyway, back to the originally scheduled discussion of the length of the underline in the Twins logo, hopefully already in progress...

I don't get all the love for Summit. Summit EPA is the flagship beer of a brand that, much like Kansas City's Boulevard, is a macrobrewery/microbrewery hybrid reliant upon marketing and civic pride more than taste and craftsmanship. Summit is packaged and sold as the better-quality alternative, but what I've had has been thinly flavored and lacking in complexity.

If I want a local brew, I go for Surly. They go out of their way to keep production down and are careful enough to can (instead of bottle) their beers to prevent spoilage and flavor loss. So what if a bottled beer seems classier? It's not like I'm going to drink it out of a can.

Eh, personal taste.

I don't think Summit is as bad as all that, but you're certainly right about Surly. Fantastic beer. However, I live about a thousand miles away, and so there's no chance of Surly finding its way onto a store shelf near me. Summit, however, has the legs to travel, and if I'm going to drink a beer in the Yuengling class of better-than-Bud-not-as-good-as-true-microbrew, it might as well be a Summit.

20082614447.png

Eh, personal taste.

I don't think Summit is as bad as all that, but you're certainly right about Surly. Fantastic beer. However, I live about a thousand miles away, and so there's no chance of Surly finding its way onto a store shelf near me. Summit, however, has the legs to travel, and if I'm going to drink a beer in the Yuengling class of better-than-Bud-not-as-good-as-true-microbrew, it might as well be a Summit.

Perfect way of describing Yuengling, by the way.

Grain Belt is crap. I won't debate that with anybody.

If you want good Minnesota beer, you've got Summit, Surly, Lake Superior, Schell's, and Flat Earth.

Grain Belt is made by Schell's. The same careful artistry that goes into their Firebrick or Pale Ale goes into a GB Premium. It's just another of their varieties, and darn refreshing if you give it a chance.

This isn't about the script, but I had to post this picture:

tf_night_small.jpg

Wow. I had yet to see a really good rendering of what the skyline view would be. The only thing that could improve that would be to knock down the boring, boring, boring City Center building so you would see Minneapolis' most attractive building, the art deco Wells Fargo Center that it's blocking.

minneapolis34.jpgWellsFargoCenter-003.jpg

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Wow. I had yet to see a really good rendering of what the skyline view would be. The only thing that could improve that would be to knock down the boring, boring, boring City Center building so you would see Minneapolis' most attractive building, the art deco Wells Fargo Center that it's blocking.

It's a shame that 33 South Sixth -- I think we called it the Pillsbury Tower back in the day -- is visible at all. Thing is an absolute blight on the landscape, and it's even worse that it blocks the view of Wells Fargo from the new ballpark. Aside from being the most attractive office building in the non-Chicago Midwest, the Wells Fargo building would nicely complement the ballpark itself.

(For what it's worth, I worked on an upper floor of the Wells Fargo building for a while in the 1990s, when it was still the NorWest tower, and it's the best skyscraper on the inside that I've ever been in. Just a great building all around.)

20082614447.png

It's a shame that 33 South Sixth -- I think we called it the Pillsbury Tower back in the day -- is visible at all. Thing is an absolute blight on the landscape, and it's even worse that it blocks the view of Wells Fargo from the new ballpark. Aside from being the most attractive office building in the non-Chicago Midwest, the Wells Fargo building would nicely complement the ballpark itself.

(For what it's worth, I worked on an upper floor of the Wells Fargo building for a while in the 1990s, when it was still the NorWest tower, and it's the best skyscraper on the inside that I've ever been in. Just a great building all around.)

I worked in the Pillsbury Tower after it had switched to its current US Bank Plaza moniker. Too bad the rebranding couldn't magically change the building's facade. Now I work in LaSalle Plaza, and we have a decent view on the new stadium.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

WOW! Beautiful picture, Twins fans have to be happy.

Really though, anything can be consiered 'beautiful' when compared to the Baggy Dome.

Never stepped foot in the Metrodome, or any state west of Illinois, but yeah, it looks bad, especially on TV for baseball games.

To watch a baseball game there in person is to gain a true understanding of its Godforsaken awfulness.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived