Uniforms that need to make a comeback

Brave-Bird 08

Hm. Well, then, I was wrong. I apologize. You're generally a bit of a curmudgeon 'round here; I guess I projected the cane-waving retro love onto you. (And, well, your moniker is Bring Back the Vet.)

Me, I lean towards modern, but some things didn't need changing in the first place. The Blues, for example, went from a nice classic/modern mix, the best in their history, to... whatever that monstrosity is now. I don't think it's being a hater of everything new to say that the new stuff looks awful.

I'd contest the curmudgeon label, but I guess arguing would just make it fit more.

There are certainly new looks that are awful. No debate here. I just don't think that the answer is to "go back". While I believe that every look can be successfully updated, despite it's perceived "perfection" or history, I will agree that there are some that just shouldn't be touched unless you really really know what you're doing, and get it right. I get all that. I just hate a lot of the instant hatred that anything new gets (most of the time), seemingly just because it's... well, new. I'm also sick of the "in my day, football jerseys had sleeves and stripes, so it should be like that now" attitude. It's possible to embrace and celebrate the past, while living in the present and preparing for the future. Not that all (or even most) of the new designs do this effectively, but again, I don't think the answer to the problem is to turn back the calendar to 1970.

As for my moniker, yeah - I'm aware of the hypocrisy it implies. Just don't feel like changing it (nor am I creative enough to come up with anything else.)

For myself, when I advocate a team "going back" to an old look, its with the unstated understanding that is HAS to be an update... not a straight up return (especially in football). I'm not asking that an NFL club make some bold decision to be the only team in the league with three quarter length sleeves (now, a league wide mandate...hmmm), but when a team with a long standing classic look (the Bills, my Vikings) goes ultra modern it does make you question why they couldn't work more with what they had.

On the other hand, I think there are a number of teams trying way to hard to hold on to what doesn't work anymore... specifically in respect to 40 year old sleeve designs (Browns, Steelers).

Again, I'll co-sign to this. As thrilled as I am that the Brewers (finally) brought back the ball-in-glove, the actual unis from 1982 look bland and uninspired. Even worse, from a distance the royal blue pinstriping can make them look like the Cubs. Although, FWIW, they do still market the alts as "throwbacks."

What the Pistons did a few years back was brilliant. I wish more teams would take note.

Apparently you've already forgotten. It's BRETT!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sound was the joke whizzing over your head.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

While I'm not a White Sox fan, I'd like to see these babies make a comeback. 1976 was a good year. ^_^

45438a.jpg

54324b.jpg

I was watching the ESPN disco demolition night story (that was crazy, wish I had seen that live) anyway, I like that font. Maybe they could update something without the collars .

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

these Astros are their best, by far.

The Astros got it right once and haven't come close since (although the blue and gold weren't bad.)

1965uni.gif

^

It's kind of silly to have totally different home and road styles, when there's no reason they couldn't just replicate the home with "HOUSTON" instead of "ASTROS". It's not like there's a big difference in letters, like with CINCINNATI and REDS.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

yeah, you are right. I also agree with everyone about the Pistons updating a great look after that teal disaster.

^

It's kind of silly to have totally different home and road styles, when there's no reason they couldn't just replicate the home with "HOUSTON" instead of "ASTROS". It's not like there's a big difference in letters, like with CINCINNATI and REDS.

Utah Jazz Green (early 1980s):

jazz_dantley_240.jpg

I've heard from multiple sources here in SLC that the Jazz will have a new green uniform for the 2009-10 season, so maybe it'll incorporate this old retro green look. At least one can only hope!

It's good to be a new member of the board! :D

While I'm not a White Sox fan, I'd like to see these babies make a comeback. 1976 was a good year. ^_^

45438a.jpg

54324b.jpg

I was watching the ESPN disco demolition night story (that was crazy, wish I had seen that live) anyway, I like that font. Maybe they could update something without the collars .

Or, even better, with true collars that go all the way around, like the old-timey style that they are meant to resemble:

1901WhiteSox.jpg

1910%20White%20Sox.jpg

GDavisCWS.jpgSullinvanCWS.jpgFjonesCWS.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

these Astros are their best, by far.

The Astros got it right once and haven't come close since (although the blue and gold weren't bad.)

1965uni.gif

Easily my favorite Astros set. The blue/gold set from the 90's is a distant second. I really, really wish the Astros would incorporate the "h-star" back into their identity.

The Pirates need to bring back the mix-n-match unis from 1977 to 1984:

nl_1977_pittsburgh.gif

We...are...familyyyy....

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I would never advocate a return to that era, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the Pirates go with a full black (jersey and pants) version of their current set, or add black pants to go with their alts.

I think that the Pirates (black) and White Sox (black or navy) would be ideal candidates to go with a full-dark set.

The Pirates need to bring back the mix-n-match unis from 1977 to 1984:

nl_1977_pittsburgh.gif

We...are...familyyyy....

Make it stop!!! That song is on my official "Do Not Play" list.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I would never advocate a return to that era, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the Pirates go with a full black (jersey and pants) version of their current set, or add black pants to go with their alts.

I think that the Pirates (black) and White Sox (black or navy) would be ideal candidates to go with a full-dark set.

The Orioles need to bring back the all-orange and the Indians can bring back the all-reds...and someone must do the full powder blues.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I'd be happy if the Eagles had their current jerseys with the old colors.

-Dan

Me too. I think that would be great. I love the Kelly Green and hate the Midnight Green, but I really enjoy the current design.

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

45438a.jpg

54324b.jpg

They don't think it be like it is, but it do:

1239821948740.jpg

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Fouts84.jpg

Eagles_70s.jpg

Concur on these. I've always thought most baseball unis were boring, but those D-backs were the first ones I really liked.

And the old Bengals were way better than current Bengals. By far. They were neat and professional looking versus arena league.

3cb2fe12d8420-59-1.jpg
p1_dillon.jpg

Archived