Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

4 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Is there any more substance on Clemson and Florida State joining the SEC?

If the ACC loses those two, outside of UNC and Duke, the conference loses any kinda of relevancy with it. Merge with the SBC + Liberty and call it a decade.

The ACC is locked into its current contract through 2035. I don't doubt that those two (and Miami, UNC, etc) are looking for a way to get out as soon as possible, but unless they find some not-yet-noticed loophole in the deal they'll have to wait until then.

ExJworW.png

The only way to get out of the ACC GOR is to have something like 5 or 7 schools all on board to axe it at the same time. It's going to be incredibly had to get landing spots for that many teams all at once. 

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

15 minutes ago, Geoff said:

The only way to get out of the ACC GOR is to have something like 5 or 7 schools all on board to axe it at the same time. It's going to be incredibly had to get landing spots for that many teams all at once. 

I assume it'd be 8, as that'd be a majority to dissolve the GOR. That'd require the SEC and Big Ten both going to 20, something like

SEC: Florida State, Miami, Clemson, Virginia Tech

Big Ten: North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, Notre Dame (they're an ACC member in everything but football, so I assume their vote would count the same as anyone else's)

But I have a hard time believing that the conferences will be interested in that many, especially Duke, UVA, and VT. Georgia Tech and NC State might be in the conversation for one or both conferences as well? I don't know, but either way I think they'll just have to wait it out until the deal expires naturally.

ExJworW.png

11 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I assume it'd be 8, as that'd be a majority to dissolve the GOR. That'd require the SEC and Big Ten both going to 20, something like

SEC: Florida State, Miami, Clemson, Virginia Tech

Big Ten: North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, Notre Dame (they're an ACC member in everything but football, so I assume their vote would count the same as anyone else's)

But I have a hard time believing that the conferences will be interested in that many, especially Duke, UVA, and VT. Georgia Tech and NC State might be in the conversation for one or both conferences as well? I don't know, but either way I think they'll just have to wait it out until the deal expires naturally.

I expect the Big Ten will get to at least 20, but not with all ACC schools. I'm sure they'd want to take Notre Dame, but the other 3 would need to be PAC schools to set up a balanced 5-team division format with an all-PAC/west division for UCLA and USC.

On 11/11/2022 at 1:38 PM, Gary said:

I get that the PAC-12 is trying to get into the Dallas market, but why go into a school that got the death penalty years ago? 

Because that was nearly 40 years ago; everyone involved is long gone or dead or both.

• Like 8
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

SMU is, functionally, infinitely richer than any of Fresno State, Hawai'i, UNLV, etc., is in a market and recruiting territory that actually matters (that the league doesn't already have access to), and actually has money that's interested in interscholastic sports. It also gives the Pac-12 the option of having the occasional game in the noon ET time slot as part of a TV contract.

• Like 3

6fQjS3M.png

1 hour ago, Discrim said:

So...somehow, we're here...where somehow, someway, with Texas no longer available, the best consolation prize for the Pac 12 is, of all places, SMU. 

It would be funny if Texas becomes the new ACC Miami and not win the SEC for 2 decades after being the biggest and most lucrative team in the Big 12 while SMU excels like their Fort Worth counterpart has since getting the Big 12 invite

22 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

SMU is, functionally, infinitely richer than any of Fresno State, Hawai'i, UNLV, etc., is in a market and recruiting territory that actually matters (that the league doesn't already have access to), and actually has money that's interested in interscholastic sports. It also gives the Pac-12 the option of having the occasional game in the noon ET time slot as part of a TV contract.

It's going to be so weird having Southern Methodist University from Dallas, Texas in the Pac-12 lol