New Marlins Uniforms?

xTr1pleXx

I got more details out of my uncle, who's in town. They have multiple new caps, and at least one of them isn't black. He said that the logo that's been leaked isn't exactly what's going to be on the caps. He thinks that the uniforms are actually rather classy looking, not uber-modern as people have feared. Both home and away have MIAMI as the script. Oh, and he said that the Marlins have a deal in place to trade for Ozzie Guillen. It's pretty much a done deal after the season ends.

Miami on home and roads but that leaked logo is exactly what's going on the cap... and yes, there will be more than a black cap with this set

The uniforms aren't insane, one of them will cause you to go blind though.

Ugh....I just can't help but choke a little bit while I swallow a little bit of throw up while reading this. I can't understand why they would completely abandon a pretty decent identity for THIS. I know I haven't seen the whole thing yet but it just doesn't make any sense.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This...

Hanley+Ramirez+%252810%2529.jpg

...is hardly a "pretty decent identity". Their main color was teal, but you wouldn't be able to tell that from these jerseys... and they wore them ALL the freaking time. As much as I liked their inaugural uniforms that embraced the teal, I'm also liking the new identity and color schemes. Hopefully the uniforms look nice too!

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

i knew from the beginning they were going to put miami on the home uni too...they arent the rangers. goign to look pathetic. why even call them marlins anymore, they dont even seem to be embracing it. its like all miami, even the "marlin" in the logo looks pathetic.

Mets, Jets, Islanders

I got more details out of my uncle, who's in town. They have multiple new caps, and at least one of them isn't black. He said that the logo that's been leaked isn't exactly what's going to be on the caps. He thinks that the uniforms are actually rather classy looking, not uber-modern as people have feared. Both home and away have MIAMI as the script. Oh, and he said that the Marlins have a deal in place to trade for Ozzie Guillen. It's pretty much a done deal after the season ends.

Miami on home and roads but that leaked logo is exactly what's going on the cap... and yes, there will be more than a black cap with this set

The uniforms aren't insane, one of them will cause you to go blind though.

someone said the alt caps aren't orange, which means they've gotta be blue, right?

or black with blue or orange brims?

OMG!!!!!!! OMG!!!! That's the new Marlins logo for 2012???? For reals?? If that's the case, their new logo looks like an entrance to a Hollywood Water Theme Park or an ice cream parlor,perhaps a late night burger joint, or a surfer shop, add infinitum..and I'm not just talking about the cap logo. This is waaay waay worse than the 1997 Anaheim Angels periwinkle sets and yes, that is when the Angels went from their best uniforms as the "California Angels" to the Disney costumes as the "Anaheim Angels." Thank God they went to a more decent look since 2002. But the Marlins?? Those are the worst or WILL be the worst looking uniforms to be released come November. The Marlins will get a better upgrade again by 2015. Trust me, those "Margaritaville" Marlin duds won't last on the field too long, needless to say in the team store racks. Count on that!!

The overreactive hate over this Marlins identity is hilarious. It's funny how nobody can be creative these days without anybody crapping all over it. I think the cap will be sick. Compare now to the 80's and 90's, and everything just seems so bland and one dimensional with blue and black, and I'm getting tired of it. Things were fun and more colorful back then and I'm glad the Marlins are going this way, there needs to be a Florida team that reps that "Miami style" badly.

bSLCtu2.png

My two cents on the new logo...I don't think it's that bad but it is a disppointment when compared to the teal look of the 90's. I feel they are going in the Miami style logo that you would find there in the 80's or 90's. (or something straight out of 'Scarface') If that is the case, then isn't it kind of contradictory when people say the teal identity was "too 90's" looking? I feel if you MUST get away from the most unique color combo in sports, shouldn't it be a more modern color scheme and not a color scheme of one of Don Johnson's suits from Miami Vice? But hey, at least it is not navy, royal blue, or red...which brings me to my next point...didn't Loria wanna get away from the teal-ish look? The new blue color is not teal but it's not too far away from it either. Okay and last point...why is there yellow in the color scheme?? I get the whole golden sunset look but I think it just clashes. I think the light blue/orange/black color scheme is different enough from the Mets so that the yellow is not needed. In summation, as being a Phillies fan and a division rival fan to the Marlins, I will always wear my teal and black Florida Marlins hat. I love it. Teal is not a 90's fad color in my honest opinion. It can still work in 2011 and beyond.

Oh and another note...that "abstract" marlin is a little too abstract and it is a borderline monstrosity.

I feel they are going in the Miami style logo that you would find there in the 80's or 90's. (or something straight out of 'Scarface') If that is the case, then isn't it kind of contradictory when people say the teal identity was "too 90's" looking?

Only if you can demonstrate that those two statements came from the same person. Otherwise, it's a meaningless comparison proving only that this is a diverse community frequented by posters who hold varying opinions.

I feel they are going in the Miami style logo that you would find there in the 80's or 90's. (or something straight out of 'Scarface') If that is the case, then isn't it kind of contradictory when people say the teal identity was "too 90's" looking?

Only if you can demonstrate that those two statements came from the same person. Otherwise, it's a meaningless comparison proving only that this is a diverse community frequented by posters who hold varying opinions.

Good point. I stand corrected.

We havent seen the uniforms yet, but more than one person, including the guy whose name is on the site, have told us they aren't clown suits.

The current Marlins logo isn't great. In fact, the fish looks more like a sketch than a logo element, which must be a pain in the ass to replicate in Illustrator. I'm nit saying that the Hotel Marlin logo is the greatest of all time, but I'm holding all judgment until I see the full package.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

We havent seen the uniforms yet, but more than one person, including the guy whose name is on the site, have told us they aren't clown suits.

The current Marlins logo isn't great. In fact, the fish looks more like a sketch than a logo element, which must be a pain in the ass to replicate in Illustrator. I'm nit saying that the Hotel Marlin logo is the greatest of all time, but I'm holding all judgment until I see the full package.

NO! MUCH LIKE THE JETS NEW IDENTITY, IT'S AWFUL! IT'S AN ABOMINATION! WORSE THAN HITLER!!!

You know how it goes, Lammy-Lam...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

That cap's pretty neat actually. Yeah, it's got kind of a pseudo-80s/early 90s vibe, but that seems perfect for Miami to me for some reason.

Not as perfect as this:

Marlins%201996.JPG

That is my favorite Marlin cap. If they changed the teal slightly to more of an auqua-marine/blue and then the F to a M, it would be perfect.

The new Marlins identity is just another chapter in the epic fail that is the ownership of Jeffrey Loria. It all started with Opening Day of 2002 when they ran out of hot dogs, to the trading of Miguel Cabrera, the firing of Joe Girardi, etc. This is a poorly run organization that has done more in driving away fans than actually building a fan base. The trade for Ozzie Guillen would not be a bad one but who are they going to trade? There is a reason that they are in last place and their manager resigned half way through the season. Back on topic, first the nearly 50 pages demonstrates more thought and care then most of the Marlin fan base. Secondly, IMO they will not have a redesign in 2015 regardless of the response because Loria and Samson don't care about the fan base. That begin said, the new caps will sell. I collect baseball caps and will own one eventually even if it is one of the ugliest in my collection.

Like I said upthread, this is win-win for me, an avowed hater of all things Marlins. Either the Marlins have a nice uniform to look at for once, or everyone mocks the stupid crappy Marlins for looking like stupid crap. Guess it's a little of both!

I really don't get why everyone is practically sitting shiva for an identity that had been whittled and diluted to a derivative and forgettable mess of black for black's sake. I mean, the vaunted teal's been gone for years, really. They're just a black and silver team. There's no teal on the practice jerseys. They don't even have a road script anymore. The Marlins are probably screwing up their rebrand in one way or another, because they're the Marlins and they suck, but short of wearing Hawaiian shirt vests with Zubaz pants, they can only improve upon what they have.

Quick thought on the whole "the Miami they're capturing is the Miami of the 1980s" complaint: well yeah, they are, but that's because the Miami of the 1980s is the Miami that everyone thinks of, and the one that best lends itself to representative design. Milwaukee had culturally and architecturally developed beyond its Germanic roots when the Brewers changed their uniforms in the '90s, people don't leave their horses outside saloons in Dallas anymore, and today's Cincinnati doesn't really have anything to do with whatever that hokey curly typeface that the Reds use is supposed to signify. That doesn't mean any of them are inappropriate designs. We get what they're going for, and they're justified in doing it. No one cares about contemporary directions in Miami architecture, other than architects. To the great unwashed, Miami = Art Deco and neon. Run with that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived