NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

Not really.

no.png

What does that prove? We live in an era of HD tvs, not whatever crappy picture quality that was grabbed from.

I guess it proves the quality of the feed I get on ESPN Player sucks. Being an international fan, I have to make do with whatever I can get :lol: But is it really that much more visible in person or on an HDTV? (Serious question there, like I said my watching options are limited, that and I've never been to a Ducks game in person).

In my opinion, the ducks should use some shade of dark/forest green as the primary color, to reflect colors found on a mallard. Go from there.

Might look good, as long as the Ducks don't step too far into the Stars territory. Both of their current home jerseys are too similarly coloured as is. Honestly, I've grown to like the colours as they are now, but I'd like orange to be just that little bit more prominent in general. Though maybe I'd like the gold better if it wasn't rendered as bronze or copper everywhere. Blech.

Ducks fans are the only fans I know that lament the fact that their team won their only championship in the "wrong" uniforms.

I'm not lamenting at all. I just think winning it in the original logo would've made it even more awesome ;)

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take it from a Leafs fan. Enjoy the heck out of that moment and don't obsess over the uniform. And yes, I do realize what board I'm on :D

Winning a Stanley Cup in a uniform doesn't necessarily make it better or untouchable. The Ducks regular set is far from perfect. The thing that's been bugging me the most outside of the wordmark is how the orange stripe, for some reason, disappears into the black from a distance on TV, much like the blue on Tampa Bay's previous home uniform. That said, I'm only able to watch games on ESPN Player, maybe the orange is more noticeable on an actual TV?

90% of the time I would say "stick with the look you won a championship in" but the Duck's jerseys fall into that other 10%. They are dull, generic and lacking in creativity.

I would say it's closer to 99%. Heck, I might even say it's 100%. It's about legacy you see.

What happens if the Ducks decide to return to egg plant and jade/teal/whatever and they never win another Cup? It's certainly a possibility. Then all of these fans will look back at pictures of their team's greatest achievement and they'll be wearing completely different uniforms. Look your most successful, wear the look that's associated with your team's greatest moment.

And yes, despite my dislike of it I would be advocating for the Sabres to wear the goat head look full time had they managed to win a Cup in it ;)

Ducks fans are the only fans I know that lament the fact that their team won their only championship in the "wrong" uniforms.

I'm not lamenting at all. I just think winning it in the original logo would've made it even more awesome ;)

Exactly. I was ecstatic when the Ducks won, but for me, it would have been just a bit cooler as the Mighty Ducks. Not necessarily for the uniforms, but just so people kinda like Ice Cap would be miffed at the thought of "MIGHTY DUCKS OF ANAHEIM" being chisled into the Stanley Cup. :P

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Exactly. I was ecstatic when the Ducks won, but for me, it would have been just a bit cooler as the Mighty Ducks. Not necessarily for the uniforms, but just so people kinda like Ice Cap would be miffed at the thought of "MIGHTY DUCKS OF ANAHEIM" being chisled into the Stanley Cup. :P

Like I said before...

Take it from a Leafs fan. Enjoy the heck out of that moment and don't obsess over the uniform. And yes, I do realize what board I'm on :D

Anyway I would have been miffed had "MIGHTY DUCKS OF ANAHEIM" gotten onto the Cup. I stand by my opinion that it was a childish, gimmicky identity with no place in the NHL. It was AHL appropriate at best.

Would've been interesting if the Anaheim Mighty Ducks joined the IHL instead as part of their whole big-arenas-in-big-cities initiative that gave us the Chicago Wolves and Detroit Vipers (and ultimately the end of the IHL). Maybe they would've set out to dominate the league. Could be a neat alternate history to write.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Gotta disagree with some of yall, I don't like the current Ducks alts very much. I prefer the black first, bronze second, minimal amount of orange for the Ducks. The tiny bit of orange piping really makes it stand out on the home and away, I think the alt has too much orange. I like the striping pattern they use on the alt, but not the color balance. That includes the socks, the socks are hideous, and the orange shoulder piping is unneccesary. My last gripe is that I despise that they brought back the duck mask, it's a completely different brand associated with the "disney era", if anything they should have come up with a new logo in the new style to add to the brand. Having this recolored logo just muddles the consistency, especially when they add the current font in to that circle logo. Comes across as total laziness. Plus have you looked at the arching of the wordmark going around the duck mask? It's a horribly rendered arch, the wordmark doesn't curve with the circle, it looks like each letter was turned individually and I don't like it at all.

zroew6i4sougyzvje4p5vl1xr.gif

Clearly the D logo is superior to the Ducks wordmark but I think the alternate is just as bad as the home and away if not worse.

Finally someone else shares my thoughts on this. Who associates orange with the Ducks? The stripes and colors of the thirds are ridiculous as well. I joke that there's rockets in their armpits. The disney era needs to be forgotten. The team sucked for the vast majority of it, and basing a team identity on a fictional movie is about the dumbest thing possible, and can't be good for having people take the league seriously.

The stripe on the home and road jerseys line up exactly with the curve of the webbed D. Put the damned D on those jerseys and call it a day, the way it was (probably) originally intended.

Lots of team identities have flaws or dumb reasons behind them. The colors were ultimate 90's, but I liked the Disney era. I think the logo could use a recolor (other than the current recolor), but it doesn't need it for me.

Winning a Stanley Cup in a uniform doesn't necessarily make it better or untouchable. The Ducks regular set is far from perfect. The thing that's been bugging me the most outside of the wordmark is how the orange stripe, for some reason, disappears into the black from a distance on TV, much like the blue on Tampa Bay's previous home uniform. That said, I'm only able to watch games on ESPN Player, maybe the orange is more noticeable on an actual TV?

90% of the time I would say "stick with the look you won a championship in" but the Duck's jerseys fall into that other 10%. They are dull, generic and lacking in creativity.

I would say it's closer to 99%. Heck, I might even say it's 100%. It's about legacy you see.

What happens if the Ducks decide to return to egg plant and jade/teal/whatever and they never win another Cup? It's certainly a possibility. Then all of these fans will look back at pictures of their team's greatest achievement and they'll be wearing completely different uniforms. Look your most successful, wear the look that's associated with your team's greatest moment.

And yes, despite my dislike of it I would be advocating for the Sabres to wear the goat head look full time had they managed to win a Cup in it ;)

Winning doesn't make a uniform any better. If it's a bad uniform, it's a bad uniform, no matter how the players wearing them preform. I'm not saying it doesn't add value of some sort, but it doesn't flat out make it better.

Gotta disagree with some of yall, I don't like the current Ducks alts very much. I prefer the black first, bronze second, minimal amount of orange for the Ducks. The tiny bit of orange piping really makes it stand out on the home and away, I think the alt has too much orange. I like the striping pattern they use on the alt, but not the color balance. That includes the socks, the socks are hideous, and the orange shoulder piping is unneccesary. My last gripe is that I despise that they brought back the duck mask, it's a completely different brand associated with the "disney era", if anything they should have come up with a new logo in the new style to add to the brand. Having this recolored logo just muddles the consistency, especially when they add the current font in to that circle logo. Comes across as total laziness. Plus have you looked at the arching of the wordmark going around the duck mask? It's a horribly rendered arch, the wordmark doesn't curve with the circle, it looks like each letter was turned individually and I don't like it at all.

zroew6i4sougyzvje4p5vl1xr.gif

Clearly the D logo is superior to the Ducks wordmark but I think the alternate is just as bad as the home and away if not worse.

Good eye! I never noticed that until you said it. Now that I can see it now, I agree with you and it does look bad.

But that's just concerning the non-arched lettering. When it comes to their uniforms, I prefer the Ducks black and orange look over black and bronze. I am part of the minority who never had any gripes against the wordmark, but I really love the alternate uniform. Therefore, I wouldn't mind seeing the home and road get retired. I liked the look when it was first released, but now a change would do them good and a switch to the alt full-time is just the change they need.

I'm going to disagree with the part you said about the Duck mask. I think it was a great idea that they brought it back. It's way for the team to connect back to their origins without using a outdated design. It's like one of those logos where the team indicates the year in which it was established, only they put in a wordmark of the team's name instead.

I'm with elliot on this. Green and orange is the way too go when it comes to the Anaheim Ducks. Think about it. No other professional team amoung the Big 4 wears Green and Orange, also you would be combining the Disney and Current eras together to form an actual identity that most could agree on. Not to mention, those are the perfect colors for a duck/mallard, and because Dallas seems more determined to remove green out of their identity, a green team would be a welcome sight in the NHL. You don't need Black or Metallic Gold, and was for the logos, the D should become their primary, and they should adjust the oval-like Anaheim Ducks logo, in terms of how the letters are aligned, and use the Wild Wing logo they used to have that had the goalie-mask duck staring straight at you, while revising the hockey stick to work with a circular crest instead of an oval.

ColorWerx had the PANTONE values for the re-branded Ducks before their unveiling, and was told they'd be going with a color scheme of dark green, orange, and bronze. But, apparetnly very late in the process, someone decided to switch it to the black-and-gold - I vaguely recall it having something to do with the proximity of Camp Pendleton.

It's not often that CWX is thrown for a loop by a major-league rebranding. But I recall the Ducks' unveiling as being one of those rare occasions.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The disney era needs to be forgotten. The team sucked for the vast majority of it, and basing a team identity on a fictional movie is about the dumbest thing possible, and can't be good for having people take the league seriously.

The stripe on the home and road jerseys line up exactly with the curve of the webbed D. Put the damned D on those jerseys and call it a day, the way it was (probably) originally intended.

Perhaps I gotta apologize, maybe I'm in the minority, but I loved their latter 90s uniform set .... the claret-plum color with the teal (minus the patches)

The logo was very creative .... I don't care what anyone says ...

The webbed 'D' logo is also creative ... I so agree with you about leaving only that there and 'calling it a day' .... Both are great logos IMO

Wanting to just cut out a piece of history with Disney ownership of the ANGELS and/or DUCKS ... due to the quality of the teams or for whatever reason is crazy, history can't be tampered with.

Whoever it was that added red to the St Louis BLUES uniform set should be shot ... but again, it's still a part of their history, no matter how brief. I'm just glad Garry Unger never had to sport those.

w-pg54.jpg

512.jpg

ColorWerx had the PANTONE values for the re-branded Ducks before their unveiling, and was told they'd be going with a color scheme of dark green, orange, and bronze. But, apparetnly very late in the process, someone decided to switch it to the black-and-gold - I vaguely recall it having something to do with the proximity of Camp Pendleton.

It's not often that CWX is thrown for a loop by a major-league rebranding. But I recall the Ducks' unveiling as being one of those rare occasions.

I remember that as well. A bunch of "reliable" sources said that the new Ducks look would be green and orange. I thought it was true and I was surprised when they revealed something similar to Pittsburgh.

It's too bad the rejected green and orange design was never posted online anywhere.

I'm with elliot on this. Green and orange is the way too go when it comes to the Anaheim Ducks. Think about it. No other professional team amoung the Big 4 wears Green and Orange, also you would be combining the Disney and Current eras together to form an actual identity that most could agree on. Not to mention, those are the perfect colors for a duck/mallard, and because Dallas seems more determined to remove green out of their identity, a green team would be a welcome sight in the NHL. You don't need Black or Metallic Gold, and was for the logos, the D should become their primary, and they should adjust the oval-like Anaheim Ducks logo, in terms of how the letters are aligned, and use the Wild Wing logo they used to have that had the goalie-mask duck staring straight at you, while revising the hockey stick to work with a circular crest instead of an oval.

I'm pretty sure that the new ownership will bring back the green. The new jerseys are so despised here that every team store still carries the pre-Edge jerseys.

Just pitching in my two cents that are completely unimportant; I loved the old Mighty Ducks look. Based off a Disney movie or not it was a good look especially considering how unique it was in a uniform universe of reds and blues. Their new look is bland (if only because of the colors). The design (home/road) is nice but the script and color scheme leave a LOT to be desired. In my own opinion they should have just modernized what they had rather than become a team with absolutely no connection to what they used to be (outside of the new alternate logo with the masked duck from the Disney era). I, like some of the Ducks' fans I've seen post, wanted to see them win the cup against New Jersey if not for the simple stick-it-to'em idea of "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim" being etched on the cup forever. It was so close to happening too. ****ing Devils.

Whoever it was that added red to the St Louis BLUES uniform set should be shot

Why? It was a nice complement to the blue note and striping until they went completely overboard with it. That version of the blue note was better than the one now, too, which seems too pointy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

w-pg54.jpg

On a slightly different note I think these were the best breezers the ducks had during the Disney era. I know at some point they had black pants, and at a different point they had solid eggplant pants. I like the stripe seen here.

Has there ever been another team in the NHL with a rotation of 4 jerseys, essentially a home/road, and then two other alternates that were dark/light but could function as home/road by themselves. I'm having trouble explaining this... like, the Canucks had 4 jerseys this past year, but the two alternates were retro inspired and not part of the same set. The Mighty Ducks had two alternates at some point in the late 90s, one white, the other teal, that matched striping-wise. The jerseys with the slight yellow piping. I don't really like those jerseys but it's certainly unique to have two alternates that could function as home/road themselves.

w-pg54.jpg

On a slightly different note I think these were the best breezers the ducks had during the Disney era. I know at some point they had black pants, and at a different point they had solid eggplant pants. I like the stripe seen here.

Has there ever been another team in the NHL with a rotation of 4 jerseys, essentially a home/road, and then two other alternates that were dark/light but could function as home/road by themselves. I'm having trouble explaining this... like, the Canucks had 4 jerseys this past year, but the two alternates were retro inspired and not part of the same set. The Mighty Ducks had two alternates at some point in the late 90s, one white, the other teal, that matched striping-wise. The jerseys with the slight yellow piping. I don't really like those jerseys but it's certainly unique to have two alternates that could function as home/road themselves.

MightyDucks4.png

i presume these are what you are talking about?

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

The canucks and the Ducks are the only teams i know of that have done that. I though the islanders did something similar with fisherman and the classic logo and I also though the rangers had a similar set up with the statue of liberty head where they did have a white and navy version. but according to NHLuniforms.com, the only teams to have done this are the Ducks and the Canucks.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I believe both the Rangers and Sharks had home and road alts in the late '90s. The Rangers had home and road Lady Liberty jerseys (though when the home version was introduced they may have worn the road version exclusively, thus eliminating the true road jersey for that year). Also, the Sharks had shiny Nike jerseys in home and road around that time.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived