2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

phillies_display_image.jpg

Way off-topic, but garishness of the bloodclot uni aside, just what was that guy's surname? He's got a Jared Saltalamacchia-type thing going on back there. (And I don't suppose they cared much to adjust letter sizes back then, huh?)

Larry Christenson. Nice guy. Was a customer at where I used to work and once let me try on his 1980 World Series ring.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Again, I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I just don't like that look at all.

As a one-time fauxback, it's alright. Any more than that, then no.

It plays into the culture Maddon has built there. He's keeps it loose, they try to be creative on road trips, etc. It's harmless as a one-time thing. If anyone else tried it, it might be perceived as more of a bad thing. I would definitely say it would be stupid if the Rockies or D-Backs did this, but it fits the Rays' persona.

I would love to see the Rockies and D-Backs in 70's fauxbacks! They should definitely jump on this at some point.

Nununununununununo. This should not become a trend. I don't mind it that much of it's a one-time thing, but if multiple teams start doing it multiple times, I'll have an issue with it.

They're creative and daring when it comes to promotions, which they really have to be with the awful, bland uniforms, logos, and color scheme.

Indeed.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Again, I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I just don't like that look at all.

It plays into the culture Maddon has built there. He's keeps it loose, they try to be creative on road trips, etc. It's harmless as a one-time thing. If anyone else tried it, it might be perceived as more of a bad thing. I would definitely say it would be stupid if the Rockies or D-Backs did this, but it fits the Rays' persona.

I would love to see the Rockies and D-Backs in 70's fauxbacks! They should definitely jump on this at some point.

Nununununununununo. This should not become a trend. I don't mind it that much of it's a one-time thing, but if multiple teams start doing it multiple times, I'll have an issue with it.

They're creative and daring when it comes to promotions, which they really have to be with the awful, bland uniforms, logos, and color scheme.

Indeed.

I'm just going to put this here before we start branding the Rays as marketing geniuses

djkitty216.jpg

07Giants.pngnyy.png

I wouldn't want it to become a trend necessarily, but I think it's a cool idea for the few teams that weren't around back in the 70's.

Indeed.

I'm just going to put this here before we start branding the Rays as marketing geniuses

djkitty216.jpg

Is that supposed to be a "cool cat" or something?

Indeed.

djkitty216.jpg

Is that supposed to be a "cool cat" or something?

It's DJ Kitty

I had no idea they made DJ Kitty into a real mascot. That is amazing.

I dont know if they only bring out the DJ Kitty mascoton certain game days, like the Sunday Family days, but I've only seen it during Fanfest in February.

Bill Veeck would love this team. They're creative and daring when it comes to promotions, which they really have to be with the awful, bland uniforms, logos, and color scheme.

He would love the team, but hate the market. No matter what the Rays come up with, nor how good they are on the field, the Rays still play before whole empty sections at home.

I love the Rays' spirit. I just wish the Tampa Bay region did as well.

Bill Veeck would love this team. They're creative and daring when it comes to promotions, which they really have to be with the awful, bland uniforms, logos, and color scheme.

He would love the team, but hate the market. No matter what the Rays come up with, nor how good they are on the field, the Rays still play before whole empty sections at home.

Build a stadium that is a pleasure for the people of Tampa Bay to drive to and watch a game in, and most of that problem is solved.

Build a stadium that is a pleasure for the people of Tampa Bay to drive to and watch a game in, and most of that problem is solved.

A pleasant stadium is more important than a team that is a pleasure to watch? This is why Veeck would have hated the market; the notion is completely backwards.

The Rays were trying to get a new stadium built from around 2007-09, but have since abandoned that. They aren't even trying anymore because the TV ratings are so bad. The last thing they want to do is get locked into a beautiful new stadium to play in front of 19,000 for the next 30 years. I understand not wanting to go to a dark, smelly (from what I've heard) stadium that is far away and in a bad neighborhood, but if the people aren't even watching these young, exciting and competitive teams on TV, they just aren't baseball fans. Even the owner made a comment recently to the effect of "we aren't looking for a new stadium because the market hasn't shown that is cares that much". The Rays are pretty much playing out the string in St. Pete until a relocation opportunity presents itself.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Rays were trying to get a new stadium built from around 2007-09, but have since abandoned that. They aren't even trying anymore because the TV ratings are so bad. The last thing they want to do is get locked into a beautiful new stadium to play in front of 19,000 for the next 30 years. I understand not wanting to go to a dark, smelly (from what I've heard) stadium that is far away and in a bad neighborhood, but if the people aren't even watching these young, exciting and competitive teams on TV, they just aren't baseball fans. Even the owner made a comment recently to the effect of "we aren't looking for a new stadium because the market hasn't shown that is cares that much". The Rays are pretty much playing out the string in St. Pete until a relocation opportunity presents itself.

I went to a game there in 09 and they had a stadium mockup in the program. Looked nice, much better than where they are now. I understand why they scrapped it, through.

They scrapped the plan because it wasn't going to happen. No sense throwing good money after bad.

The Rays were trying to get a new stadium built from around 2007-09, but have since abandoned that. They aren't even trying anymore because the TV ratings are so bad. The last thing they want to do is get locked into a beautiful new stadium to play in front of 19,000 for the next 30 years. I understand not wanting to go to a dark, smelly (from what I've heard) stadium that is far away and in a bad neighborhood, but if the people aren't even watching these young, exciting and competitive teams on TV, they just aren't baseball fans.

And the St. Pete mayor has drawn a line in the sand, making it clear that he'll oppose any relocation to Tampa. It's a good thing for those Rays fans that there's no other market clamoring for baseball. Because the Rays might as well move across the country as across the Bay.

Even the owner made a comment recently to the effect of "we aren't looking for a new stadium because the market hasn't shown that is cares that much". The Rays are pretty much playing out the string in St. Pete until a relocation opportunity presents itself.

Here's what the owner said last year:

"When I came in here in '05 and '06, I saw the stars, and I was confident that we could put a winning product on the field -- and I was told by you guys and others that all we needed (to draw fans) was a winning team. Well, we won. We won. We won. And we won. And it didn't do it."

Evan Longoria said this last September while they were fighting for a playoff spot:

"We've been playing great baseball all year. Since I've been here in (2006), the fans have wanted a good baseball team. They've wanted to watch a contender," Longoria told reporters at the time. "And for us to play good baseball for three years now, and for us to be in a spot to clinch again and go to the playoffs, we're all confused as to why it's only 15,000 to 20,000 in the building."

And of course the Rays made the playoffs, did pretty well, and still failed to sell out an ALCS game. Pathetic.

Again, I really love the Rays' spirit. I wish it was my Brewers with the travel blazers and tartan bills and all that. Between that and the great young teams they've been fielding, the Rays so deserve to be in a decent market.

Archived