Possible Change for Arizona State?

ShlyKBMT

And for the love of god, WHY BLACK??!!????

Because they make you look badass like the Raiders. Only the Raiders suck. So this is stupid.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nike = black and/or anthracite in every identity, guaranteed.

Nike is incredibly lazy. When in doubt, add a black alternate. Because it's cool! It doesn't matter if your school colors are maroon and gold, red and blue, or orange and blue. We'll add black regardless.

Without black, it's not bad. Nike has been showing a bit of restraint with the last crop of redesigns, which is a pleasure compared to the tampon-like garbage of Miami and Oregon. I like both versions of the pitchfork.

And how is it a custom font if it's already used by Florida State?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The typeface is called "Berthold Akzidenz Grotesk." Weird.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Remember this study?

I don't want to spend 12 bucks on the study, but isn't this the study that proved that black uniforms really had minimal influence on performance? In fact, if you read the synopsis, it says teams that switched from nonblack to black saw an increase in penalties, and that's about it.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Remember this study?

I don't want to spend 12 bucks on the study, but isn't this the study that proved that black uniforms really had minimal influence on performance? In fact, if you read the synopsis, it says teams that switched from nonblack to black saw an increase in penalties, and that's about it.

Well, I don't think their penalties can get much higher as long as Burfict is still on the team.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Remember this study?

See? The refs thought they were the Raiders and acted accordingly.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Interesting how the number font is Florida State's number font with a couple of serifs. The pitchfork is essentially a ripoff of FSU's spear. Originality at its finest.

My thoughts exactly...exacerbated by the fact that ASU has a damn-near similar color scheme to FSU. Don't get me started on that pitchfork orientation on the helmet, either. Speaking of said pitchfork, that's a Nike creation, yes? Interestingly enough, FSU also has another Armada-ish font that I believe was designed by Nike, as was FSU's freshened spear logo (along with Oregon's "O"). But damn...did they have to go and give ASU FSU's numbers, too? Eh well...guess somebody else was gon' get those at some point.

And actually, this is something I've noticed quite a bit out of Nike, recently...they like to recycle ideas. The best example I can think of is Michigan State's recent rebrand (fonts, anyway)...which looked like they were conceived from Pitt's rivalry Pro Combat helmet scripts. A reversioned style of those numbers just found their way onto TCU's football unifoms, as well. All this is aside from both Oregon State and Connecticut having damn-near similar fonts (in addition to the lesser-seen FSU font, all of which seem to be based on Armada). And now we have this. I actually do like this Sun Devil Bold font, though...came out rather nice. I guess I've learn to live with another school using (what used to be) FSU's "proprietary" numbers...even though Oregon's softball team also used them last season. All that said, these schools really need to stop signing off on the overuse of the black/charcoal/anthracite. I can understand it in moderation, or as a one-off...but it's starting to get out of hand.

On to the new brand...given what it is, I do kinda like that pitchfork...but I can only imagine what the backlash might become in Tempe that it came at the expense of (their) beloved Sparky. I don't care what "reason" the Nike reps gave for the black...it reads as contrived to me. I do love the idea of the gradient-fade numbers, however...reminds me of a San Diego Chargers football concept I did on here once. (Off-to-the-side tangent: that right there also lends credence to the belief that more of these manufacturers do pay attention to what goes on in the Concepts section up in here...I've seen elements of several posters' concepts make it into several college team uniforms here lately.) All that said, on the football side at least, waaayyyy too much black. And speaking of those football uniforms, I might be the only one who'll make this association, but that ASU mark on the sleeves looks pretty cheap, only because another ASU, Alabama State, has been doing something similar for a while, now (EDIT: as Brave-Bird pointed out above). But overall, I think this entire thing might just grow on me. I mean hell...it coulda been a lot worse.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Wazzu wins this battle, the striping under the trident is just awful and sparky was a great helmet symbol that differentiated them from other programs. This was once uniform perfection:

RudyCarpenter.jpg

Uh, Michigan State's rebrand was revealed before Pitt's Pro Combat.

I really like how the pitchfork looks on the helmet, I think it's an upgrade compared to Sparky. I like the football uniforms too, but there are two things that I'm worried about. The first is that they look too much like USC, especially with the location of the pitchfork stripe on the jersey. The second is that I'm not sure how well this identity will age. I could see the pitchfork logo looking really dated in 10-15 years. The use of black is disappointing but at least it looks good.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

oh goodness i hope that logo isn't going to remain a primary logo... it looks like something an AAU team would have.

i think on the black uniforms there should be much more maroon. i've always thought maroon and black accented each other well. i don't like that it's just black and yellow.

i kinda feel like asu will look back on this in a couple years and wonder why they changed.

dbacksbannersigs.png

Good God almighty, that looks terrible.

Why am I not surprised? If it was red, white, and blue with the "A" on the helmet, you'd probably be lapping it up.

Please don't make this personal.

I don't have a horse in this race, but think the uniforms are hideous. The number font's not terrible, but there's a whole lotta downgrade in this set.

I like how they try to push the font as their own, yet the colors and numbers make them look just like Iowa State.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

The pitchfork on the helmet is a miss. It doesn't wrap around the back of the helmet enough, like the Florida State spear does. Making it a little longer would have made the helmet look better. And the ASU on the sleeve looks terribly generic and otherwise just bad. Gonna chalk this up as a miss for the Sun Devils...Basketball uniforms do look good however.

On the bright side of all this recent rebranding news, it looks as though the piping era of football uniforms has come to an end.

FSU2.gif

Dear gosh, what an awful downgrade. Nearly everything about it. The only thing I like is the new font, but thats about it. The pitchfork isn't very good, I HATE the black football uniform and helmet (not only it looks bad, but holy crap, does anyone realize they play thier home games in a scorching hot desert?? Seems like none of the designers watch tge Weather Channel or own a map), I prefer Sparky on the helmet rather than the pitchfork, and oh did I mention the black freakin' uniform? Goodness, in my humble opinion, this is the epitome of "identity tank".

Kewl-syndrome seems to be hitting the Pac-12 pretty hard.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The typeface is called "Berthold Akzidenz Grotesk." Weird.

Akzidenz Grotesk is a very common sans font.

But I agree.

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

Archived