2011 NFL Season

TBGKon

Kind of a dick move to release him this late and not give him an opportunity to catch on with another club during the pre-season. Moves like this aren't decided on a whim.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright this is probably the dumbest thing I have seen all offseason.

David Garrard is a solid QB, nothing special but at least he can give the Jags a better chance to win. I'd be okay with Gabbert starting, Garrard backing him up then McCown, but cutting Garrard, and starting Luke McCown. Not a smart move.

It's got nothing to do with wins and losses. This is purely a money thing. Saves the Jags $9M by cutting Garrard. They're gonna be lucky to win 1 game with McCown at the helm.

I don't think McCown will be that bad. He's definately a backup QB, but the Jags aren't a major passing team anyway. Its not a long term thing and I don't think the Jags would be going much further with Garrard at QB anyway.

I think the Jags made the move not so much because of money (which always has something to do with it and I'm not saying this didn't), but mainly because they are that impressed with Blaine Gabbert. They think he will be starting at the end of the year, and they don't want to have to go through the process of benching David Garrard.

I think Garrard is capable of being a starting QB and he will end up somewhere. What sucks for Garrard is how late the cut happened. I don't think he will be a starting QB this year unless somebody gets hurt. Just about everyone is set with who their starting QB is and its simply too late for Garrard to just walk in and learn the offense and be ready to go week 1.

I think somebody is going to end up with a very solid backup QB for this year, and Garrard will probably be starting for somebody next year as a short term solution for QB. I think Buffalo, Cincinnati, Miami, San Francisco, Seattle and perhaps Washington could all use him as a starting QB for a year or two starting next year.

In that case, why not just go ahead and start Gabbert now? He's not going to improve by standing on the sidelines and not playing.

It's definitely an odd move, especially since the owner pretty much told Del Rio, "Make the playoffs or you're fired.". Seeing as how evey team has to spend at least 99% of the cap this year, I'm not so sure this was a money move.

In that case, why not just go ahead and start Gabbert now? He's not going to improve by standing on the sidelines and not playing.

It's definitely an odd move, especially since the owner pretty much told Del Rio, "Make the playoffs or you're fired.". Seeing as how evey team has to spend at least 99% of the cap this year, I'm not so sure this was a money move.

It is a league-based "salary floor" for 2011 and 2012. The terms of the new CBA in effect do not have a salary cap for 2011 and 2012.

Every team does not have to spend 99% of the agreed floor for 2011, the 32 teams have spend 99% of the agreed and that is easier to do since DAL, NYG, PHL, NE,and PIT are carrying dead money through 2012. Those teams can go over since teams like TB and JAX are so very under.

As for Garrard, he had a back injury the first two weeks in August. They did not cut him then since they could not an injured player without an injury settlement. If he is "healthy" not then he can be easily cut without starting settlement talks.

The Bears own the Saints. The Falcons own the Bears. Yet the Falcons do not own the Saints. College football it ain't.

Well, in Chicago the last few years, yes. Let's see how the Bears do in the Superdome.

Didn't they last host the Bears in Baton Rouge becuase of Katrina? This year will be first time since 03' the Bears visit the Superdome.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Bill Belicheck, great coach, bad drafter. 2010 Draft looks pretty good, but 2006-2009 was brutal. Mayo is the only impact player.

(*still on team)

2006 draft

1 21 Laurence Maroney

2 36 Chad Jackson

3 86 David Thomas

4 106 Garrett Mills

4 118 Stephen Gostkowski*

5 136 Ryan O’Callaghan

6 191 Jeremy Mincey

6 205 Dan Stevenson

6 206 Le Kevin Smith

7 229 Willie Andrews

1 24 Brandon Meriweather

4 127 Kareem Brown

5 171 Clint Oldenburg

6 180 Justin Rogers

6 202 Mike Richardson

6 208 Justise Hairston

6 209 Corey Hilliard

7 211 Oscar Lua

7 247 Mike Elgin

1 10 Jerod Mayo*

2 62 Terrence Wheatley

3 78 Shawn Crable

3 94 Kevin O’Connell

4 129 Jonathan Wilhite

5 153 Matthew Slater*

6 197 Bo Ruud

2 34 Pat Chung*

2 40 Ron Brace*

2 41 Darius Butler

2 58 Sebastian Vollmer*

3 83 Brandon Tate

3 97 Tyrone McKenzie

4 123 Rich Ohrnberger*

5 170 George Bussey

6 198 Jake Ingram

6 207 Myron Pryor*

7 232 Julian Edelman*

7 234 Darryl Richard

Injury bug has hit the Giants hard again.

Giants Linebacker Goff Out for the Year

Jonathan Goff, the Giants starting middle linebacker, was diagnosed Tuesday with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/07/sports/football/giants-linebacker-goff-out-for-the-year.html

Geez, I know Vick is salvating now for Week 3 against them.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Gabbert: He needs time to develop. Throwing him to the wolves in week one on a team that isn't going anywhere will just wreck his confidence. For every Joe Flacco or Matt Ryan, there's a dozen Joey Harringtons who could have become Carson Palmers - that is, QBs with potential who just needed time to observe and take in the pace of the NFL game.

Giants: 9-7, maybe 10-6 if they're lucky.

Vick: I will eat my hat if he actually starts all 16 games this season. Better bet is 10, tops. He'll get hurt - he always does - then it's up to Vince Young to not screw everything up.

I miss my airline days. If I was still at DL or AA, I'd have tomorrow and Friday off and would be buying an instant download ticket for $144 on Stubhub. Would hop a connection through ORD to Green Bay tomorrow morning (with Milwaukee and ORD as plans B and C), rent a car and be to Lambeau in time to crash a tailgate party. Well, not really, the other time I went there several Packers fans invited me to eat and drink with them even though I was in Saints gear. :D

Then it would be in the gate to my seat to watch the opener. Fantastic place to see a game. Even met "Saint Vince" (ironic name this week...) and his wife "Cheese Louise," though I was not asked to sign the cheese bra. :wacko:

Holy%20Fan%21.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

^ IF that happens, then bold prediction: David Garrard suits up for the Colts this season.

Wouldn't be the first time the Colts took a flyer on a former Jaguars QB...though I don't expect anyone to know a/ who Quinn Gray even was, or that b/ he was signed by the Colts after the Jags let him go several seasons ago--when, it should be noted, he was listed on the Jags' QB depth chart behind...wait for it...David Garrard.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

So Houston's winning the AFC South, correct?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived