2011 NFL Season

TBGKon

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex Grossman realized he is Rex Grossman. BTW the Dream Team is in last place and Vick wants to change Eagles fight song to Cry Eagles Cry

Strangely, they get to duel the first place Niners next!

The fact that this is a thing right now should really hasten the NFC West's banishment to the UFL. Christ, what a crap-heap.

We're gonna have another 7-9 division winner. None of the NFC West teams are impressive, LOL!

In other news, Cris Carter is still rocking in the fetal position somewhere in his cave.

Freep Article

Calvin Johnson is slowly changing Cris Carter's opinion, but the ESPN analyst said during a radio appearance today that the Detroit Lions star still isn't an elite wide receiver.?I believe there?s really four elite wide receivers,? Carter said on the Mike and Mike show. ?That would be Greg Jennings, Roddy White, Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson. Those guys separated themselves over the course of the last several years from the other receivers.

?Now, Calvin Johnson is playing the best football of his career. He?s getting single coverage now, he?s beating single coverage. He had double coverage in the red zone; him and (quarterback Matthew) Stafford have great chemistry together. He is playing at a top-five level, but before this season, he wasn?t better than those other four guys.?

This is what Matthew Stafford tweeted in response:

@Staff_9 Matthew Stafford

Does anyone think 8 tds in 4 weeks will change chris carters mind about an "elite" receiver? #megatron

LOL @ Jennings being an elite receiver. He is a very good receiver, but he shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Andre, Calvin and Fitzgerald. Carter is another example of ESPN only hiring blowhards and imbeciles. He is both.

Even if you don't consider Greg Jennings to be an elite receiver, he's certainly part of the conversation. It's just where you draw your line. My list of "elite receivers," in order, would be:

1. Andre Johnson

2. Larry Fitzgerald

3. Calvin Johnson

4. Roddy White

5. Greg Jennings

The next couple I wouldn't quite rate as "elite" are:

6. Vincent Jackson

7. Mike Wallace (who has a chance at getting to the next level)

While I don't have Vincent Jackson or Mike Wallace in the "elite" tier of WR, it wouldn't be absurd if somebody made a case for them. And while some people might not include Jennings as an elite WR, I don't think the vast majority of people would think it was absurd if somebody tried to make that case.

Rex Grossman realized he is Rex Grossman. BTW the Dream Team is in last place and Vick wants to change Eagles fight song to Cry Eagles Cry

Strangely, they get to duel the first place Niners next!

The fact that this is a thing right now should really hasten the NFC West's banishment to the UFL. Christ, what a crap-heap.

We're sorry. We're trying to move to Los Angeles and yet not be the bad guys.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

LOL @ Jennings being an elite receiver. He is a very good receiver, but he shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Andre, Calvin and Fitzgerald. Carter is another example of ESPN only hiring blowhards and imbeciles. He is both.

Even if you don't consider Greg Jennings to be an elite receiver, he's certainly part of the conversation. It's just where you draw your line. My list of "elite receivers," in order, would be:

1. Andre Johnson

2. Larry Fitzgerald

3. Calvin Johnson

4. Roddy White

5. Greg Jennings

6. Vincent Jackson

While I don't have Vincent Jackson or Mike Wallace in the "elite" tier of WR, it wouldn't be absurd if somebody made a case for them. And while some people might not include Jennings as an elite WR, I don't think the vast majority of people would think it was absurd if somebody tried to make that case.

I think your close with the Greg Jennings thing, but he gets knocked down a peg because he's had not one but two All-Pro QBs, while players like Fitz and Megatron put up solid numbers with QBs like Dan Orlovsky and Max Hall. He's just not the physical specimen that those top-3 are. However, no one does the little things like running sharp routes or rarely dropping a pass like he does, which makes him extremely good.

Greg Jennings is the only receiver I've ever seen take a touchdown pass 90-some odd yards for a touchdown with a broken leg.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Greg Jennings is the only receiver I've ever seen take a touchdown pass 90-some odd yards for a touchdown with a broken leg.

Definition: Put the team on his back do.

Greg Jennings, may not be the fastest or most physical, but you can't deny his awesome hands. Especially catching Favre and Rodgers passes for his entire career.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

1. Andre Johnson

2. Larry Fitzgerald

3. Calvin Johnson

4. Roddy White

5. Greg Jennings

6. Vincent Jackson

I think your close with the Greg Jennings thing, but he gets knocked down a peg because he's had not one but two All-Pro QBs, while players like Fitz and Megatron put up solid numbers with QBs like Dan Orlovsky and Max Hall. He's just not the physical specimen that those top-3 are. However, no one does the little things like running sharp routes or rarely dropping a pass like he does, which makes him extremely good.

All three points you make are good, valid points. And you seem to fall in the camp that says that he's simply near-elite. Very defensible position. And you might be right. But, I think you help make my point that somebody saying he is elite wouldn't be an "LOL" situation. It's not absurd, and there could be a very well-rounded argument in favor of him.

1. Andre Johnson

2. Larry Fitzgerald

3. Calvin Johnson

4. Roddy White

5. Greg Jennings

6. Vincent Jackson

All three points you make are good, valid points. And you seem to fall in the camp that says that he's simply near-elite. Very defensible position. And you might be right. But, I think you help make my point that somebody saying he is elite wouldn't be an "LOL" situation. It's not absurd, and there could be a very well-rounded argument in favor of him.

Exactly. In order to be an elite receiver you either need outstanding physical gifts (see Randy Moss) or you need to do the little things with an extreme work ethic (see Jerry Rice). Greg Jennings is one of those in the second group and I have no problem calling him fringe-elite, maybe even top-5. But, in my mind, there is a top-3 tier that is somewhat head-above-shoulders of the rest (Andre, Calvin, and Larry) with Roddy White bringing the gap between the first and second tier.

He put da team on his back dooee.

Vincent Jackson is not a top 6 receiver.

Now DeSean Jackson...

Agree with premise #1.

However, I don't think Jackson is the best receiver on his own team. (Yes, I'm a Maclin slappy...) Jackson has elite-level speed, but he runs poor routes and sometimes has a bad case of the drops.

Well of course. They're home, the line is probably like 3.5

I like Dallas this week, should be a close game. All depends on Romo though, that OLine needs to do a much better job, and Nick Fairley is probably going to play in some capacity this week as well.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Well of course. They're home, the line is probably like 3.5

I like Dallas this week, should be a close game. All depends on Romo though, that OLine needs to do a much better job, and Nick Fairley is probably going to play in some capacity this week as well.

a much better job against a much better D line. And you thunk Suh is gonna hold back on Romo?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

There have been some comments in this thread about this year's awful officiating. It has gotten worse it would seem, and here are a few examples. Excuse that they're all from Saints games (though not all favoring the Saints) because these are the games I've primarily watched this year.

This is on the Saints' game-winning drive vs. Houston. Not one but two officials were staring directly at the Houston DB and Meachem and neither called this ridiculously blatant PI. It was worse than it looks, it wasn't a split-second brush of the head, he grabbed Meachem around the helmet and yanked his head sideways.

AdobeFlashPlayer928201114814PM.jpg

There was also a deal where the Saints sacked Schaub and he fell to the turf and was hit by Roman Harper, who was clearly trying to pull up but still landed on Schaub's head. No penalty.

When Brees ran on one play, he dove forward and was hit as he went down. I understand he's not protected if he doesn't slide, but the defender came in head first and the crown of his helmet hit right on the FDL on Brees' helmet. The ref gave an elaborate explanation of why Brees was fair game because he didn't slide. Fine, but whatever happened to the penalty for spearing and/or going helmet to helmet? In the immortal words of Sam Wyche in that NFL follies video, "He's gonna live, but that is a penalty." :D

AdobeFlashPlayer928201121142PM.jpgAdobeFlashPlayer928201121151PM.jpgAdobeFlashPlayer928201121203PM.jpg

And of course there's the Sproles play from the Chicago game, perhaps the most egregious and mind-boggling mistake of all.

AdobeFlashPlayer928201120556PM.jpg

He's clearly out of bounds (and note the ironic crawl). The NFL said there was a "miscommunication" between the replay booth and the field and thus the play was never reviewed. Worse, because all scoring plays are supposedly reviewed by the league replay official, Lovie Smith couldn't challenge the call.

Something big is wrong here, men.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived