2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say the chances of the Angels moving to LA are virtually zero.

They can look into it and stomp their feet all they want but the Dodgers will fight that thing to death if the Angels ever got serious about it and I would imagine they will probably win to. The Dodgers have that territory on lockdown and the only way I could see the Angels overturning it would be to succesfully argue that the Anaheim market as a whole has failed, which is clearly not the case.

They can look into it and stomp their feet all they want but the Dodgers will fight that thing to death if the Angels ever got serious about it and I would imagine they will probably win to. The Dodgers have that territory on lockdown and the only way I could see the Angels overturning it would be to succesfully argue that the Anaheim market as a whole has failed, which is clearly not the case.

The Dodgers don't have any recourse there. MLB Constitution, Article VIII, Section 8

National League. The National League Clubs shall have the following operating territories:

Los Angeles Dodgers: Orange, Ventura and Los Angeles Counties in California; provided, however, that this territory shall be shared with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim franchise in the American League;

The Angels have a similar clause a bit further down.

http://bizofbaseball.com/docs/MLConsititutionJune2005Update.pdf

The Dodgers don't have any recourse there. MLB Constitution, Article VIII, Section 8

National League. The National League Clubs shall have the following operating territories:

Los Angeles Dodgers: Orange, Ventura and Los Angeles Counties in California; provided, however, that this territory shall be shared with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim franchise in the American League;

http://bizofbaseball...e2005Update.pdf

I would still imagine they would put up a pretty good fight behind the scenes. No team in the Dodgers situation would take that lying down.

It doesn't seem like they'd have a legal leg to stand on though, since the Angels have equal rights in the same territory as the Dodgers. This isn't the same thing as, say, the Kings trying to move to Anaheim. In that case, the Lakers and Clippers would be completely justified in fighting it because the Kings would be infringing on their territorial rights. The Angels, meanwhile, would still be operating within their legal territory, which they happen to share with the Dodgers. If the Dodgers could accuse the Angels of infringing on "their" territory by moving to LA, couldn't they just complain about the Angels being in Orange County right now and get a crapton of money from them?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

http://bizofbaseball...e2005Update.pdf

I would still imagine they would put up a pretty good fight behind the scenes. No team in the Dodgers situation would take that lying down.

Even with new ownership, the Dodgers lack the influence to put up a good fight behind the scenes.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Did anybody catch the Red Sox/Athletics game tonight? Did something happen between Dustin Pedroia and Marlon Byrd after Pedroia went into the outfield to snag a flyball? I had the game on, but the sound was turned down since I was working on a paper. Any insight into this or was it just nothing?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Did anybody catch the Red Sox/Athletics game tonight? Did something happen between Dustin Pedroia and Marlon Byrd after Pedroia went into the outfield to snag a flyball? I had the game on, but the sound was turned down since I was working on a paper. Any insight into this or was it just nothing?

Only bit of news on the Sox is the shocking revelation that Oil Can Boyd was on crack during the '86 season. So great reporting by Captain Obvious. In weird way its a bit of good news because I would think confirmed crack head would be a minor upgrade over insanity.

Ugh closers and the Jays just don't mix. Thankfully Lawrie came up huge!

And also gave us this amazing picture.

lawrie1_80629.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Dear Nationals:

Please score some friggin' runs for me. Even just a couple. Would that really kill you? Really? My ERA is 1.83 and I'm 1-3 on the season.

Sincerely:

Jordan Zimmermann.

P.S.: Stop batting Bryce Harper 7th, Davey. With Zimm and Morse on the shelf, he's the best hitter we've got right now.

Jerome Williams just threw a 3-hit complete game shutout, finishing the game sitting down 18 of 19 batters (the second to last batter walked). Impressive, considering he was pitching for the Lancaster Barnstormers last year.

Also, Albert Pujols still can't hit to save his life.

Archived