Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

Well they've made some progress, but are still not there yet. And they're reportedly just over a week from canceling the rest of the season. At this point I wish they would. A compressed 48 game schedule is not a real hockey season.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gary Bettman had a 13 second statement where he said he was pleased with the process, and no questions from the media.

Insiders believe proposal will be put in front of the owners later this afternoon.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

If they reached a deal would it be possible to have a slightly less compressed season and a more compressed post-season (by having shorter series and/or less teams qualifying)?

I doubt they'd shorten the Stanley Cup Playoffs at all, that is a huge money maker for the teams as they jack up ticket prices. The $400 ticket I bought for game 3 of the Finals this year, in the regular season is about $30. Round 1 it was about $45, round 2 it was about $70, round 3 it was about $150, and then jumped to the $400. Shortening the playoffs won't happen.

If they get a deal done by Friday lets say. Give a couple days for players to get back in town, start training camp on the 10th have it go to maybe the 17th or 18th. Start the season on the 20th. You'll be playing two games every three days maybe, but with the schedule only being conference opponents, makes it much more feasible for a 60 game schedule.

Where is this optimism coming from? Who are you guys reading?

All Bettman said in his 13 second talking to the media is that they're pleased with how it's going.

They know if they let this slide into next week, it's game over.

On a possible season length, Pierre LeBrun tweeted:

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun

There was talk in BOG of possible NHL schedule IF there's a deal. One team exec said 60 games likely too much but 50-plus possible...

Where is this optimism coming from? Who are you guys reading?

I've been watching this:

https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/lists/hockey

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/12/5/3733486/nhl-lockout-2012-talks-update-negotiations-progress

On Wednesday afternoon, both sides reconvened with the NHLPA putting forth a formal proposal based on the prior discussions. While Bettman and Fehr were apparently still not part of the formal discussions, the NHLPA proposal was apparently positive enough that the league countered with its own proposal after an hour of internal talks.

There is a sense of optimism growing among those present, although there are notable reservations coming from those on the players' side.

baltimoreravens.png

All 22 of "us"? Small sample size there. Also, the question says "this year." Perhaps they took it literally -- as in 2012. Or perhaps they're Mayans. Even with the overwhelming negative vibe here, I can't imagine most expect there to be no season at all. Yes, OITGDNHL and all, but they can't really be that stupid to blow out the whole thing again... can they?

Well, I've got my dick out. Let's see what happens.

Things are looking up?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived