Best ballpark skylines?

Ark

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Modern Woodmen Park (formerly John O'Donnell Stadium) home of the Quad City River Bandits in Davenport, IA has a beautiful view with the Mississippi River and Centennial Bridge in right field and the Davenport skyline in left field. In 2010 USA Today included It as one of the "10 Great Places for a Baseball Pilgrimage."

ballparks-woodmenx-topper-medium.jpgquad-city-river-bandits-b.jpg

I grew up with this view in the '70s and '80s, so this is what all other stadiums were compared to, even MLB, which didn't stack up well in the era of cookie cutter stadiums.

Since then, MLB has added some great views with some of the same components I love: a river, a bridge, etc. Of the many I've been to, I like St. Louis, San Francisco and Cincinnati, but PNC in Pittsburgh sits at the top for me, too.

And I think Wrigley's view is junked up by all the box seats on rooftops these days. Give me a lawn chair and a cooler anyday.

If only Skydome had no roof or hotel:

322323_10150368790477176_506407175_9943084_5597841_o.jpg

Or at least no hotel. If the dome retracted to the south, then you can see the skyline... oddly enough, the stadium has in many ways become part of the skyline.

I saw, I came, I left.

PNC is the best real skyline view, bar none.

It never materialized, but the proposed Labatt Park in Montreal would've been awesome:

labatt1.jpg

Dammit Montreal.

Dammit Toronto!

Whataburger Field. Worst name for a ballpark ever?

Whataburger_Field_Sign_Corpus_Christi_Texas.jpg

No way! I mean they raise this flag when they have a home win.

C74OhdDf.jpg

Aesthetically, that sign is really nice (and that flag is GORGEOUS!), but I still think Whataburger is a hilariously bad corporate name, and that goes double when it's placed on a ballpark.

Whataburger is a Texas icon and fitting to sponsor a stadium since the company started in Corpus Christi. Just thinking of this, I might just have to get a green chili Whataburger. :)

noutep2-med.gifnmst2-med.gifnmst1-med.gifnonmex-med.gif

Go Aggies!

Or at least no hotel. If the dome retracted to the south, then you can see the skyline... oddly enough, the stadium has in many ways become part of the skyline.

Yep. Just to the left of the CN Tower.

toronto_skyline_contact.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Here is the view from Maritime Stadium in Pensacola, home of the Blue Wahoos.

552969_394743977216606_100000430201366_1398739_505260526_n.jpg

41822998001_1549467430001_vs-1549456497001.jpg?pubId=41822998001

IIRC, that's a shipyard in LF.

And an aerial rendering. (Couldn't find a real pic.)

aerial2005.jpg

So they finally got that thing finished, eh? Sure beats playing games at PJC (or PSC?or whatever they're calling it these days)...just ask the Pelicans.

Anyway, they were working on filling that plot in for years, and talk of building a "crown jewel" for the city on thethe bayfront has been ongoing since Lawton Chiles was still in office. Now I ain't been home in years, so I'm interested to see what that place looks like. And while that is the port to the left, unless they've moved it in the past year or two (which I doubt), the water &the sewage treatment plan is directly down the street...and I'm sure the last thing anyone needs is to be overcome with sewage stank while taking in a game at that crown jewel. (And it DO be stanking, too.)

All that said, first hurricane to go through there and blow that place over, it's a wrap.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Since we're down to basically putting up any ballpark with a view, I humbly submit my favorite park in all of baseball, 5/3 Field in Toledo.

xM8XC7UX.jpg6a00d83452606269e20133f2417236970b-.jpg

You have to sit kind of high to see it, but if you're in the right seats, Progress Energy Park in St. Petersburg has a helluva nice view in left field.

Progress%20Energy%20Park.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

On 4/13/2012 at 0:30 PM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Spring Mobile Ballpark in Salt Lake City

Awesome. I don't know under what circumstance I'll make it to SLC, but If I do, I gotta get to a game there.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

SpringMobilePark023.jpg

Holy :censored:! That is amazing. Can you imagine batting there? I would be in awe of the mountains too much to focus. Truly incredible.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Sacramento River Cats - Raley Field

raley_field_city_view_by_rc360-d3gunyx.jpg

Brooklyn Cyclones - MCU Park

brooklyn_cyclones.jpg

- Love the lighting set up.

The lights in Brooklyn are unique

You could probably answer my question. What the heck is that thing in the right of the picture. Is it part of the Amusement Park? Like a gigantic swing?

That's the historic parachute jump at Coney Island:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachute_Jump

Oh wow, that's really cool!

Yes it is. I would love to visit that park.

Sacramento River Cats - Raley Field

raley_field_city_view_by_rc360-d3gunyx.jpg

Brooklyn Cyclones - MCU Park

brooklyn_cyclones.jpg

- Love the lighting set up.

The lights in Brooklyn are unique

You could probably answer my question. What the heck is that thing in the right of the picture. Is it part of the Amusement Park? Like a gigantic swing?

That's the historic parachute jump at Coney Island:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachute_Jump

Oh wow, that's really cool!

Yes it is. I would love to visit that park.

Do.

It's awesome.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

not much of a view, but you can kind of see the Chicago skyline from Toyota Park (still don't understand why New Comiskey wasn't built facing downtown)

Toyota_Park3.jpg

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

SpringMobilePark023.jpg

That is incredible.

I didn't see if anyone share this yet but I thought this one was pretty cool when I caught a game at the Ballpark at Harbor Yard, where the Bridgeport Bluefish play..

baseball-sm.jpg

IUe6Hvh.png

SpringMobilePark023.jpg

That is incredible.

I didn't see if anyone share this yet but I thought this one was pretty cool when I caught a game at the Ballpark at Harbor Yard, where the Bridgeport Bluefish play..

baseball-sm.jpg

I've been there! My friend and I had seats that were as close to the Bluefish dugout as you can possibly get. There is a railway right next to the stadium, and the passing trains are cool during the game!

Archived