2012 MLB Stars and Stripes

justen

Aesthetically, this is far better than previous years. Ideally, I would like to simply see a camouflage ribbon on the uniforms, they stand out more. I'm sure this was well intentioned by MLB, but for me, I think if they want to honour the troops, teams should just stick to simply have a nice ceremony, give free tickets, do some volunteer work for VAs and the like. I think more money would go to the troops if we just donated money (or direct more of our tax dollars) instead of buying camouflage logo caps.

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally saw the A's version and I must say with the color of the camo with the team's colors, it doesn't look bad at all

rmu26b.jpg

Would have been so much better with just a single gold outline around the camo logo

Or better yet, a white outline, since the actual mark is supposed to be all white.

My thinking was similar to yours, but I thought the gold outline would make it like a mix of the home and road hats. I'm not sure if they'll be at home or on the road when these hats are worn

My friend who is a cap collector and usually reads up on a lot of New Era stuff tells me there will be two versions for the A's (home and away) as well as other teams that have two caps.

Go A's!

What is wrong with some of you people?

The net proceeds go towards, and have for each other versions, a charitable or good organization. Of course some of the money is going towards the .30 cent an hour labor it costs for the 11 year olds to make this in some factory.

People want to buy these hats, every year. Alot of people, like myself, are patriotic, and love combining my love of country with my love of baseball team. So I wear my team logo while sporting my countries design and colors.

Supporting your country and the troops, and this on a widescale effort by the entire league, is something I enjoy seeing. With being stuck having to see foreingn languages and being frowned upon to be proud to be American and supportive of your troops, lightsout will label you a xenophobe, I enjoy this effort.

Just because the almighty Paul Lukas blasts these every year doesn't make it right. Being patriotic and supportive of troops should go with any political faction, I don't get how even if you are an anti-war hippie, you would not want to support the people who protect this great nation.

The hats are great, I'll buy one for sure, and am thankful the MLB did this again. This is a million times better of a leaguewide effort than the NFL's pink month, or the semi-league wide NBA Latin Nights. This isn't pandering like the other ones, this is pride of a nation, the US and Canada, that support and are home to the fans and teams in this league.

:flagusa::flagcanada:

That said, the idea of these caps is solid

Could not disagree more.

I don't think it's ever appropriate to alter on-field uniforms for political purposes. Ever. Not even when I agree with the politics.

Sell all the themed merchandise you can; that's what it's for. But don't sully the teams' uniforms.

So you don't like the spanish language jerseys we are forced upon?

These have been simple color renderings, not changing a teams names. I don't think the stars and stripes program is along the same lines, it isn't changing a name or logo like the jerseys. A recoloring isn't the same thing, I like it. I like when the NHL does practice camo jerseys.

The Spanish language jerseys aren't "forced upon". There is a market for it, just like there is a market for the S&S caps. You can't legitimately criticize one without criticizing the other. They both exist for the same reason: to make money. The only difference is that some of the S&S cap money goes to charity. SOME, not all.

And if you think being an "anti-war hippie" is being unpatriotic, then you don't understand patriotism.

Back on topic: the outlines on the hats are making them look too much like fashion hats, but the execution is working well in more cases than not. Strangely enough, I think the A's one looks really good with the various greens.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I never said all money. I said net proceeds. You can see in your own quote I said that.

The foreign language jerseys are forced upon us.

I said EVEN an anti-war hippie should be able to be patriotic. I don't find hippies to enjoy the American flag, but when you don't wash yourself expectations can't be high.

That whole reading comprehension thing, how's it working out? Now just drop it, I'm done. We went posts without it, you brought it back up. Off my junk, it ends here.

That's awesome to hear they will have several versions of the hats. Makes me wish my Yanks had something else.

Edit: Looks like the D-Backs are using the A hat, and that one only. I though in previous years they used the snake logo. Are they going to release more as time goes on?

http://www.lids.com/MLB/Arizona-Diamondbacks/20389466

I'm a huge fan of the fact they are using team colors though, I think that makes it look alot less goofy. I mean, I didn't care that much before, but this is nicer.

The Yankees and Mets and other teams will have the same issues, because of their skinny hat logo, anything inside it will make it look bigger and not like it did before. I get it's going to happen, but I still don't mind it.

2ly2w09.jpg

What is wrong with some of you people?

The net proceeds go towards, and have for each other versions, a charitable or good organization. Of course some of the money is going towards the .30 cent an hour labor it costs for the 11 year olds to make this in some factory.

People want to buy these hats, every year. Alot of people, like myself, are patriotic, and love combining my love of country with my love of baseball team. So I wear my team logo while sporting my countries design and colors.

Supporting your country and the troops, and this on a widescale effort by the entire league, is something I enjoy seeing. With being stuck having to see foreingn languages and being frowned upon to be proud to be American and supportive of your troops, lightsout will label you a xenophobe, I enjoy this effort.

Just because the almighty Paul Lukas blasts these every year doesn't make it right. Being patriotic and supportive of troops should go with any political faction, I don't get how even if you are an anti-war hippie, you would not want to support the people who protect this great nation.

The hats are great, I'll buy one for sure, and am thankful the MLB did this again. This is a million times better of a leaguewide effort than the NFL's pink month, or the semi-league wide NBA Latin Nights. This isn't pandering like the other ones, this is pride of a nation, the US and Canada, that support and are home to the fans and teams in this league.

:flagusa::flagcanada:

That said, the idea of these caps is solid

Could not disagree more.

I don't think it's ever appropriate to alter on-field uniforms for political purposes. Ever. Not even when I agree with the politics.

Sell all the themed merchandise you can; that's what it's for. But don't sully the teams' uniforms.

So you don't like the spanish language jerseys we are forced upon?

These have been simple color renderings, not changing a teams names. I don't think the stars and stripes program is along the same lines, it isn't changing a name or logo like the jerseys. A recoloring isn't the same thing, I like it. I like when the NHL does practice camo jerseys.

I'll tackle this rebuttal as tactfully as I can.

Here is why I feel that playing "dress up soldier" is pandering....

Is there anyone out there who really doesn't support the troops? It's highly doubtful. The cause for their deployment may be cause for debate, but I have yet to come across someone who doesn't appreciate the effort these troops put in overseas, and doesn't want them to return home safely.

But to be fair, I don't consider them any different from law enforcement or fire fighters. All of those occupations have people putting themselves in harms way for the sake of a greater good.

But...

Since 9/11, citizens of this country have engaged themselves in games of one-upsmanship with each other. What started as genuine, heartfelt acts of memorializing the victims of the attack has blown up into obnoxious acts of "patriotism" all in the name of the mighty dollar. Ribbons covering vehicles. American flags covering as much real estate as possible. Sports teams dressing like soldiers. And on, and on.

This isn't World War II, where it's doubtful you found anyone who didn't support the war's cause. The country is very divided upon the reasons for our troops being overseas. And like any cause, there is a sense of "throwing it in your face" if teams are publicly and prominently supporting issues that you don't agree with 100%.

There's nothing inherently wrong with having pride in one's country. But unless you are a civil servant working for that country (or, all the way down to the municipality level), a member of an organization that specifically represents the country (like a Veterans association, or Boy Scouts, for example), or participating in a world-wide event, what is the point of wearing the American flag on otherwise ordinary clothing, except to scream "LOOK AT ME I LOVE MY COUNTRY" at everyone else?

This is why I feel it's pandering. It takes the idea of pride in a country and totally changes it into an "I'm better than you because I'm honoring them publicly" event. Hey, look!---- we're wearing flags and camo! We're patriotic! We're honoring the troops more than you are!!!!!

If the Padres really wanted to honor the strong military presence in the city, why didn't they just change their name to something more reflective? Instead, you have a team named after Friars dressing in camouflage. Tell me that's not some sort of dichotomy.

I feel the same way with flags & camo, pink ribbons, and "heritage" nights. There is nothing wrong with celebrating them in a ceremony pre-game, and/or donating a percentage of the game's proceeds towards those specific charities. But this is just capitalism under the trend of patriotism, pure and simple.

These people are ball players. Not soldiers. Not cops. Not firefighters. If they want to wear camo to show pride in the country, there are plenty of enlistment offices around.

What's the point of playing the National Anthem before the game if not to show pride in the country? Same for the playing of "God Bless America" (which is also unnecessary and pandering as well).

If teams wear this stuff this one game a year, it must mean they hate America all the other days, right?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Sigh, forget it.

Just too ignorant.

You don't have to wear american flags or camoflauge to be patriotic or to support the troops. And if you don't like these hats then you aren't unpatriotic. That's absurd. I am an anti-war because war is a terrible thing, but that doesn't mean I'm a hippy or that I haven't sent multiple care packages to Afghanistan to my friends Brendan and Sam (they asked for golf balls).

Maybe I'll just quietly donate $35 to wounded soldiers relief instead of buying a silly looking hat.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'll tackle this rebuttal as tactfully as I can.

Here is why I feel that playing "dress up soldier" is pandering....

Is there anyone out there who really doesn't support the troops? It's highly doubtful. The cause for their deployment may be cause for debate, but I have yet to come across someone who doesn't appreciate the effort these troops put in overseas, and doesn't want them to return home safely.

But to be fair, I don't consider them any different from law enforcement or fire fighters. All of those occupations have people putting themselves in harms way for the sake of a greater good.

But...

Since 9/11, citizens of this country have engaged themselves in games of one-upsmanship with each other. What started as genuine, heartfelt acts of memorializing the victims of the attack has blown up into obnoxious acts of "patriotism" all in the name of the mighty dollar. Ribbons covering vehicles. American flags covering as much real estate as possible. Sports teams dressing like soldiers. And on, and on.

This isn't World War II, where it's doubtful you found anyone who didn't support the war's cause. The country is very divided upon the reasons for our troops being overseas. And like any cause, there is a sense of "throwing it in your face" if teams are publicly and prominently supporting issues that you don't agree with 100%.

There's nothing inherently wrong with having pride in one's country. But unless you are a civil servant working for that country (or, all the way down to the municipality level), a member of an organization that specifically represents the country (like a Veterans association, or Boy Scouts, for example), or participating in a world-wide event, what is the point of wearing the American flag on otherwise ordinary clothing, except to scream "LOOK AT ME I LOVE MY COUNTRY" at everyone else?

This is why I feel it's pandering. It takes the idea of pride in a country and totally changes it into an "I'm better than you because I'm honoring them publicly" event. Hey, look!---- we're wearing flags and camo! We're patriotic! We're honoring the troops more than you are!!!!!

If the Padres really wanted to honor the strong military presence in the city, why didn't they just change their name to something more reflective? Instead, you have a team named after Friars dressing in camouflage. Tell me that's not some sort of dichotomy.

I feel the same way with flags & camo, pink ribbons, and "heritage" nights. There is nothing wrong with celebrating them in a ceremony pre-game, and/or donating a percentage of the game's proceeds towards those specific charities. But this is just capitalism under the trend of patriotism, pure and simple.

These people are ball players. Not soldiers. Not cops. Not firefighters. If they want to wear camo to show pride in the country, there are plenty of enlistment offices around.

What's the point of playing the National Anthem before the game if not to show pride in the country? Same for the playing of "God Bless America" (which is also unnecessary and pandering as well).

If teams wear this stuff this one game a year, it must mean they hate America all the other days, right?

Fantastic post.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Sigh, forget it.

Just too ignorant.

You don't have to wear american flags or camoflauge to be patriotic or to support the troops. And if you don't like these hats then you aren't unpatriotic. That's absurd. I am an anti-war because war is a terrible thing, but that doesn't mean I'm a hippy or that I haven't sent multiple care packages to Afghanistan to my friends Brendan and Sam (they asked for golf balls).

Maybe I'll just quietly donate $35 to wounded soldiers relief instead of buying a silly looking hat.

Boom. Absolute unadulterated truth right here ^. End all further discussion of this topic and send a gold medal adorned with the CCSLC logo out to Cincy.

Awesome and tremendously thoughtful post by slapshot too.

In what sense are foreign language jerseys "forced" on us? Did the Los Piratas and Beirbrauer troopers hold your family hostage until you bought a Spanish and German language jersey? At least Spanish/German/Italian language jerseys don't look terrible. They look like their teams jerseys should. According to your signature, you're a Yankees fan... they don't even WEAR heritage jerseys.

The fact is that the Stars & Stripes / Camo caps are just plain ugly. If you want baseball teams to be "flag-pin patriots" for holidays, that's fine... but do so in a manner that's not UGLY. American flag patches on caps/jerseys look fine. You want something more unique, then there are literally thousands of logos that incorporate a stars and stripes theme that could be worked into patches and don't look terrible.

The reality is that I don't care. Baseball teams do A LOT to honor, venerate, and help out veterans, and support their communities and country. They do it at games, they do it in the off season, they do it all the time. These gestures are at least substantive. They can talk all they want about what they've done, because teams have a record on the issue: team visits to stationed troops, first pitch ceremonies, charitable donations and drives, any number of promotions, etc. etc.

All wearing camo / stars & stripes does it affirm the idea that wearing a piece of cloth is sufficient to "support our troops" or "support America." Frankly, that's a bull :censored: idea whose time is long past. If you want to be seen supporting something (the military, your country, or whatever else) DO something about it. Get off you ass and DO something.

I never said all money. I said net proceeds. You can see in your own quote I said that.

The foreign language jerseys are forced upon us.

I said EVEN an anti-war hippie should be able to be patriotic. I don't find hippies to enjoy the American flag, but when you don't wash yourself expectations can't be high.

That whole reading comprehension thing, how's it working out? Now just drop it, I'm done. We went posts without it, you brought it back up. Off my junk, it ends here.

Oh, well, since you said it ends here, it must be over then.

I don't see where you get off criticizing my reading comprehension. I never said you thought the entire S&S money was being donated. I was pointing out the difference between the foreign-language jerseys being 100% profit and the S&S caps being 100-X% profit. I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

And as others have said, the foreign language jerseys aren't being forced. I don't see German, Mexican, or Italian military forces at MLB headquarters telling them to sell that stuff any more than I see an army of women demanding pink hats and low cut tank tops be sold. They sell all of it because people want it & pay money for it. It's a little thing called The Free Market.

Patriotism is love of your country. It isn't ignoring valid criticism of its actions or your fellow citizens. That even means people can be critical or non-supportive of soldiers. It doesn't mean that everyone has to go lock-step cheerleading for everything USA.

Think of it like this: do your parents love you? Did they ever get angry at you or what you did? Did you ever get punished for it? Their decision to be critical of you was not because they didn't love you, it's because they wanted you to be a better person. People are critical of the US war effort because they feel America can do better than that.

And the "dirty hippy" trope is tired. The majority of Americans don't support the war effort anymore. Does that make them all "dirty hippies"? Last time I checked, people were still bathing.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Love em. Some don't translate as well as others, but the ones that do look great. And I live that the base color is the teams color so the camo is just a subtle nod rather than loud and clashing mess. They should've done it this way the whole time. If they insist on running this promo every year (doesn't bother me, I own a few), than this is the way to do it.

Plus, camo f*****g rocks.

spacer.png

On 11/19/2012 at 7:23 PM, oldschoolvikings said:
She’s still half convinced “Chris Creamer” is a porn site.)

I never understood why people got so upset over their teams wearing these stars and stripes hats for a few games.

Same here. Yeah, some of the hats have been God-awful, but some of them have looked pretty cool. The amount of "hate" the stars and stripes hats get around here would make you think teams are wearing these... B)

Adult-Propeller-Beanie-Hat-Made.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

I never understood why people got so upset over their teams wearing these stars and stripes hats for a few games.

Same here. Yeah, some of the hats have been God-awful, but some of them have looked pretty cool. The amount of "hate" the stars and stripes hats get around here would make you think teams are wearing these... B)

Adult-Propeller-Beanie-Hat-Made.jpg

If the Seattle Pilots still existed, they should wear this. :P

MiamiDolphinsStriping-1_zpsb1620a41.png

Archived