2012 MLB Stars and Stripes

justen

You sound like Paul Lukas, it's also cute.

Ironically, I can't stand Lukas' crap. Think before you assume.

Profit off militarism? I see it more as a way to show respect for those fighting for us overseas. Real warriors, not keyboard warriors like you.

badass-meme.jpg

Xenophobic? Because I prefer not having to learn other langauges in my country, and my family busted their ass to assimilate, I'm a xenophobe. Haha, you're a funny little one.

I'm not really sure how your obsession with foreign-language jerseys has anything to do with the Stars and Stripes caps, but that's your prerogative.

Neoconservative...hmmm, pretty sure my political beliefs aren't anything that hasn't been around since the 80's, so I'd say just conservatism.

Not trying to get into a partisan discussion here, but conservatism is largely split into two sects. There's the libertarian right, which subscribes to the old conservative platform of Constitutionally-limited government, sound money, diplomacy, and free trade. Then there's the authoritarian right, or the neoconservatives, who are far more militaristic abroad and liberal domestically.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only in this g-d foresaking country do we honor our independence with camo

Jeez, war sucks people!

I wonder how they show patriotism in all of the countries God hasn't forsaken?

Those being honored for protecting our independence, and the contemporaries of those who won it, wear camo.

From a design standpoint, I think they aren't that bad. Obviously they are being marketed to sell, but you have to at least respect that the departure from normal caps is so minute that it will probably only appeal to a few.

With an image of the nation's flag? Seriously, there's more to America than the military. It's not disrespectful to acknowledge that.

Anyhow, these are an improvement in so far as they don't overwrite the team's cap colors with red/white/blue. That being said, the American/Canadian flag patch is 10,000 times better.

I could take or leave the way these look but honoring our troops who risk their lives with any type of gesture is a great thing. Appreciating the men and women who lay it on the line for us doesn't mean you love war. Its an unfortunate part of the world we live in and we should all be thankful for what those troops do for us. A little public gesture like this should be applauded, not scorned.

And if it nets you a couple million in added hat sales because people want to play mutha :censored: ing soulja, so much the better.

This isn't about sentiment or honoring anything outside of the almighty dollar.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

All you can do is grab the popcorn at this point; both sides look equally stupid in an argument that is so far off topic that it isn't even on the radar.

These caps are much better than the all white caps or the trucker caps in the past. Subtle design changes that don't affect the caps too much; I can't wait to see the Rangers.

I'd assume then that the Blue Jays will wear their S&S cap on Canada Day (as they've done the past few years) then, correct? If so, I'm mildly disappointed - I was looking forward to seeing how they new logo would look on a red cap as they originally did for Canada Day.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Wow, this got out of control really quickly...

I know I'm not going to end the madness, but I think we should drop the "should" from this argument. Should MLB make military themed apparel? It doesn't matter, they can do whatever they want with their products. If it doesn't fit in with you agenda, send feedback to the teams or to MLB. Should they make jerseys with Spanish names? Should they use pink bats and accessories? Should everyone wear 42 on Jackie Robinson Day? Maybe, maybe not, but guess how much your opinion on a sports logo message board matters to their marketing department? None. So the should doesn't matter, it's a fait accompli and whining about it won't change it (at least, not this year).

Everything bugs someone. The Military stuff may not fit in with your personal beliefs, the Spanish language jerseys, the pink bats, the New York Yankees continued existence... You may not like it, but if you're not the Commissioner, you're out of luck.

The point of this board shouldn't be to level value judgments on the "why" of the jersey (It's war mongering! We speak English in America! It's just pandering to women fans!). If you waste your time on that stuff, you'll just get mad at whoever doesn't agree. We should be talking about the execution of the design (The cammo looks goofy! "Los Heat" is just lazy! Pink with orange and black? Ick!).

So keep your personal political agendas out of it. I went to college to talk about that stuff and it's a waste of my time to continue to read it here. I have a political agenda, everyone does, but it's not the business of anyone on this board, and I don't expect any of you to care. I come here to talk about which logos and uniforms are well done and which are crap. If you really want to espouse the moral ascendancy of your opinions and proclaim to the universe the superiority of your personal worldview, I guess there's the Lounge for that.

That said, the idea of these caps is solid, the execution is poor. I agree that the multiple outlines hurt the design. I also think that using that tan/neutral cammo pattern isn't great. The other end of that pendulum is using a cammo palette that mimics the team's own colors. An "LA" logo on the Dodgers' caps that was Dodger blue, white and silver might look pretty cool, it would match with the uniforms, and BONUS, it would actually camouflage the logo with the hat! Form meets function! Although it might not be what the teams want- I think the multiple outlines exist to emphasize the team's logo and keep it from getting lost in the design. Matching a single off-color outline with a team-specific cammo design might be the winner.

I think it could be better.

Grunge-Logos.png

Edit: Didnt' realize there was a thread covering these yet, Mod's please merge!

Wondering why this hasn't happened yet... :therock:

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

That said, the idea of these caps is solid

Could not disagree more.

I don't think it's ever appropriate to alter on-field uniforms for political purposes. Ever. Not even when I agree with the politics.

Sell all the themed merchandise you can; that's what it's for. But don't sully the teams' uniforms.

Could not disagree more.

I don't think it's ever appropriate to alter on-field uniforms for political purposes. Ever. Not even when I agree with the politics.

Sell all the themed merchandise you can; that's what it's for. But don't sully the teams' uniforms.

I mean insofar as the design goes. I'm not gong to talk about the philosophical hangups people may have, it's not the purpose of this thread. By "idea" I mean visual design.

Grunge-Logos.png

Finally saw the A's version and I must say with the color of the camo with the team's colors, it doesn't look bad at all

rmu26b.jpg

Would have been so much better with just a single gold outline around the camo logo

Or better yet, a white outline, since the actual mark is supposed to be all white.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I never understood why people got so upset over their, teams wearing these stars and stripes hats for a few games. Even if they don't match they are for a good cause, no matter if they only donate a dollar out of the 35 they get, any money at all helps. The same with the nfl's breast cancer awareness it's for a good cause no need to get your panties in a bunch.

Matching a single off-color outline with a team-specific cammo design might be the winner.

I gave my own idea a try on several caps...

MLB-Cammo.png

Would have been so much better with just a single gold outline around the camo logo

I gave it a try with an all green cammo instead of the generic pattern they actually used, lemme know if you like it!

Grunge-Logos.png

Its honoring Soldiers, nothing more. Some of you need to shut up and quit dragging political crap into everything.

Now as far as the caps...better than previous years, but there is missed potential in further integrating team colors into them. The outlines don't do it enough.

So, from memory, since their image isn't up yet. This is what the Marlins hats will look like. MarlinsStarsandStripes2012.jpg

Actually I don't think the "Marlin" is camo just the M....saw it at the mall today but don't remember it 100%, thought it looked good though

Bucknut40.pngOhioStatebanner.png

#RaiderUp

Twitter-@R_Redinger4 My Blog-Southwest Ohio Football

NCFAF-Wheeling Coal Miners,NCFAF-FCS Lake Erie Shoremen, NCFAB-Wheeling Coal Miners

Its honoring Soldiers, nothing more.

Nope. I think rams is 100% in the right here.

This isn't about sentiment or honoring anything outside of the almighty dollar.

The sucking at the teat for the almighty dollar was a given. My post was a response to the Legend/LO political circle jerk.

Finally saw the A's version and I must say with the color of the camo with the team's colors, it doesn't look bad at all

rmu26b.jpg

Or better yet, a white outline, since the actual mark is supposed to be all white.

My thinking was similar to yours, but I thought the gold outline would make it like a mix of the home and road hats. I'm not sure if they'll be at home or on the road when these hats are worn

What is wrong with some of you people?

The net proceeds go towards, and have for each other versions, a charitable or good organization. Of course some of the money is going towards the .30 cent an hour labor it costs for the 11 year olds to make this in some factory.

People want to buy these hats, every year. Alot of people, like myself, are patriotic, and love combining my love of country with my love of baseball team. So I wear my team logo while sporting my countries design and colors.

Supporting your country and the troops, and this on a widescale effort by the entire league, is something I enjoy seeing. With being stuck having to see foreingn languages and being frowned upon to be proud to be American and supportive of your troops, lightsout will label you a xenophobe, I enjoy this effort.

Just because the almighty Paul Lukas blasts these every year doesn't make it right. Being patriotic and supportive of troops should go with any political faction, I don't get how even if you are an anti-war hippie, you would not want to support the people who protect this great nation.

The hats are great, I'll buy one for sure, and am thankful the MLB did this again. This is a million times better of a leaguewide effort than the NFL's pink month, or the semi-league wide NBA Latin Nights. This isn't pandering like the other ones, this is pride of a nation, the US and Canada, that support and are home to the fans and teams in this league.

:flagusa::flagcanada:

Could not disagree more.

So you don't like the spanish language jerseys we are forced upon?

These have been simple color renderings, not changing a teams names. I don't think the stars and stripes program is along the same lines, it isn't changing a name or logo like the jerseys. A recoloring isn't the same thing, I like it. I like when the NHL does practice camo jerseys.

2ly2w09.jpg

Archived