Ottawa RedBlacks to Return CFL to Canadian Capital City

officeglenn

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a fan. Considering how much emphasis they put on REDBLACKS (still a stupid name BTW)it definitely needs more red. And while I'm always a fan of classic style striping these unis look like something my peewee team wore for scrimmage games.

Meh. They are what they are. I still don't like this whole "home and away helmets" thing that the CFL has got, but they're fine otherwise. Even the black panels on the away work, unlike the crap Edmonton wears on the road.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Just throwing this out, because I don't think it's been mentioned...anyone else notice that Calgary modified their helmet logo a bit?

Well now im curious... I'd like to see this.

4kv29i.jpg

"Meh" is the only word to properly describe these. I'm at a loss as to why a newly formed team and identity, one with plenty of time to create something new, unique and inspiring to attract interest and drive merch sales can't come up with something better than what amounts to little more than boring practice jerseys. It's a shame when the best thing about your new team identity is the mascot.

I liked these... until I saw that they're planning to go mono black. Gross.

The white versions would benefit from having red numbers, for sure.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I would prefer white numbers outlined in red on the home. Also they need to ditch the white helmet, add a red stripe to the black one, and ditch the monochromatic look. Honestly though, when I heard the owner talking about designing modern uniforms my mind immediately thought of the worst possible option so it isn't as bad as I expected. Will have to see them in action to form a firm opinion but I'd probably put them in the bottom half of the CFL.

Those are so boring that they look minor-league.

Also, can we PLEASE be done with those Minnesota Vikings pant stripes, CFL?

I was going to say that they look like a generic team you'd see in a non-sports themed movie.

I'm not repulsed, but I'm not enthralled. Red numbers on the road jersey, and red pants as an option for both home and away, would help a lot here.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Honestly I was expecting better, something retro looking along the same lines as Hamilton and Toronto. They're not the ugliest uniforms, not even the ugliest uniforms in the CFL, but they're uninteresting. I also hate that they have a second helmet. I really hate that trend, just pick a look and stick with it...

tigercatssignature-1.png

Not a big fan of the different home and away helmets. Or any team in the CFL doing it.

REDBLACKS

Stamps

Eskimos

Roughriders

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Not a big fan of the different home and away helmets. Or any team in the CFL doing it.

REDBLACKS

Stamps

Eskimos

Roughriders

Absolutely dislike the home and away helmet experiment. Whenever I go to B.C. Lions game and say, Calgary comes to town, the Stamps look like a team from Ottawa with their black helmets. The Roughriders look like a cheap version of the N.Y. Jets with no green stripe on their white helmets. Fans in other CFL markets should see the Stamps' red helmets as well as the Roughriders' green ones.

• 1 month later...

Saw these in action yesterday... The numbers are impossible to read... The 6,8, and 9 are hard to tell apart thanks to the thick red outline

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

crop_20397374914.jpg

:shocked:

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I haven't been able to figure out why they would do this:

OttawaREDBLACKS_UFV0200a_2014_SCC_SRGB.p

...instead of this:

OttawaREDBLACKS_CUFV0200a_2014_SCC_SRGB.

My only thought is that they didn't like the look of the dark "notches" in the numerals; maybe they look better (on paper anyway) with the trim color being lighter than the color of the numbers.

Still - Red numbers trimmed in Black would have been a LOT better in terms of color balance (IMO).

Archived