Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

On 10/2/2019 at 7:57 PM, RyanMcD29 said:

NBC kinda in a weird in between mode (even moreso than before) by ramping up the Conference Finals wipes and effects, but keeping the scorebug

Meanwhile, Sportsnet still out here rolling the same exact graphics as 2014

...And I love the sportsnet graphics. I hope they don’t change for a while.

It's Me

On 10/8/2019 at 12:29 PM, hannajon34 said:

Whats everyones opinion on this? NHL 20's score graphic is now at the bottom of the screen.

It sucks that a licensed graphics package (NBC) was lost, but I'm a fan of the new look. Certain elements of it remind me a lot of the current Sunday Night Football package. I like it a lot better than Madden NFL 20's new score bar, that's for sure: 

madden_nfl_20_beginners_guide_6.jpg

The big paint mark that indicates possession bugs me more than it should, and I dislike how the team that doesn't have the ball has their side changed to black (Steelers aren't the best example of this considering black is one of their main colors). This score bar would have been a better fit for Madden Mobile or something. Overall, a downgrade for the score bar used in Madden NFL 17-19. FWIW, the score bar used in Face of the Franchise mode is a bit of an improvement. I just wish we could use it in other modes.

Madden20-fof-04.jpg?width=1600

• Like 3

15 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

The shot clock above the free throw line TNT is using seems very unnecessary when there already is a shot clock on the scorebug and another behind the basket. Just creates visual clutter

EDIT: added picture

There’s actually 2 behind the basket, one facing the floor above the basket, and another facing the camera on the beam

On 10/19/2019 at 11:33 PM, McGlinchey23 said:

I feel the same way about a lot of Uni Watch ticker posts.

”Jaguars caught still using last years logo on sideline!”

Like Jesus, give them a break

Fun fact someone created a Facebook post about Brady wearing a jersey last night with the regular NFL shield to try to get him fined by the league for wearing the wrong jersey. When in reality it’s the equipment managers fault not his.

On 10/8/2019 at 1:29 PM, hannajon34 said:

Whats everyones opinion on this? NHL 20's score graphic is now at the bottom of the screen.spacer.png

I am not a fan of this design.   

- It's way too big with the black bar tacking up the whole screen.   

- The information is not displayed consistently between the two teams.  The Sharks go "SJS 0" and then the Devils go "0 NJD" but the slant on both is the same.  Its very confusing visually.   

- Not a fan of the period clock in the middle either.  

• Like 1

The weird thing about the NHL graphic are that they advertised them as being what you see on TV, when all I've seen are hockey graphics on the top of the screen. Iget that tehy had to change them since they added new, non-NBC announcers, but it looks like some bizarro, late 90s ESPN hockey design

On 10/22/2019 at 11:29 PM, Silence of the Rams said:

NHL on NBC: We've been using the same graphics for 4 years. 

NBA on TNT:Hold my beer

They've been using their current graphics package since Jan. 1, 2015 so it's really been 4 1/2 seasons entering this one. And since this isn't a Super Bowl season for NBC, odds are any kind of serious change isn't forthcoming.

• Like 1

spacer.png

For whatever reason, I really like ESPN's current thing of giving each sport its own look. Being consistent has its virtues but I like a bit of taloring to the aesthetics and looks for each individual league.

The MNF graphics are bad but MNF graphics are always when ESPN gets weird anyway, so I can't get mad about those. 

Also, in cycling news, RIP to the Tour of California, AKA the only time I've ever heard commentators repeatedly complain about the on-screen graphics (they used the NBCSN graphics for the world feed, and the Eurosport commentators would constantly complain about stuff like the use of miles, rather than kilometers, and the information overload from the bottom bar endlessly cycling through standings/quotes/news rather than having a "normal" km/time gap display. 

BDhExEW.png

(it did get better with the current NBCSN graphics they use for the Tour de France, but their insistence on using a bar rather than doing what literally every other cycling broadcaster did was always funny)

Oh, and the Rugby World Cup is almost done, and NBCSN appeared to be using the world feed graphics for those.

wlnBD3Y.png

I rather like these. I do think it's funny that it's another example (alongside FOX's flat graphics fetish, which seems pulled right from the Windows Metro/8 look) of sports graphics cribbing from tech- this "flat layered/textured" look is straight out of the Google "Material Design" playbook.