billman29

Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

If CBS does unveil a new graphics package for the Super Bowl, I expect to see something "shinier". For some years now, we've seen sports graphics become simpler and flatter. Compare FOX graphics from 15 years ago to this season and you'll see a monumental difference. However, NBC bucked the trend last year with their new package featuring gradients and shadowing galore. I believe that this will be the first in a trend back in the direction of fancier scorebugs. If CBS does make this change, then I think we will be seeing changes in that direction all throughout the world of sports. 

I have a good feeling that is going to be happening. All of the Super Bowl shows on CBSSN have been using graphics very similar to NBC’s New Graphics.

 

Like this example, or this one.

 

12 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Watching the Sixers/Lakers game and saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esj4vC1na7M

 

The voiceover on that disclaimer reminds me of Ian Eagle. Could be wrong.

Yeah. 99% sure that is Ian Eagle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like CBS will be debuting new graphics, but not a major rebrand like last time. Seems to be more of tweak than anything.

 

Quote

 

The basic on-air graphics that will be seen throughout the main game telecast will not be drastically different from what CBS Sports has been using throughout the 2018-19 NFL regular season. In fact, CBS Sports —with the help of design firm Troika—rebranded its on-air look in 2016, its first in 35 years, which debuted for Super Bowl 50.

 

"We did a massive rebrand for Super Bowl 50 and are still pleased with how it looks,” LoMonaco said. “It has redefined the personality of CBS Sports.There’s a lot of love for the look and it solves a lot of esthetic and practicality issues for us as designers, so we were not quick to walk away from but enhance the look and make it extra special for the Super Bowl telecast.”

 

These graphics will be delivered by ChyronHego systems for the insert graphics and also SMT’s SportCG product for the lower-third CBS in-game eyebar (designed by Reality Check Systems). Full motion animations will be pre-produced at CBS in New York using Adobe After Effects and Maxon Computer’s Cinema 4D software. A graphics design company called Troika was also brought in to help creatively.

 

https://www.thebroadcastbridge.com/content/entry/12645/cbs-sports-looks-to-raise-the-graphics-bar-for-super-bowl-liii

 

Interested in what the augmented reality graphics that they are talking about in the link above look like. Richar Deitsch also mentioned it in his Super Bowl preview over at The Athletic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So based on this, I’m guessing a small update like the 2009-2013/2013-2016 graphics where it was tweaks and not major changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, simtek34 said:

Yeah. 99% sure that is Ian Eagle.

 

Cool. Just as I figured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like CBS will have a modified version of their Thursday Night Football graphics package for the Super Bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mr. Krabs said:

It looks like CBS will have a modified version of their Thursday Night Football graphics package for the Super Bowl.

Source or proof?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2019 at 1:16 AM, fouhy12 said:

If CBS does unveil a new graphics package for the Super Bowl, I expect to see something "shinier". For some years now, we've seen sports graphics become simpler and flatter. Compare FOX graphics from 15 years ago to this season and you'll see a monumental difference. However, NBC bucked the trend last year with their new package featuring gradients and shadowing galore. I believe that this will be the first in a trend back in the direction of fancier scorebugs. If CBS does make this change, then I think we will be seeing changes in that direction all throughout the world of sports. 

YES. We're finally going back to where we need to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Is this new?

...If it's not today, then it'll be the beginning of next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you look at the graphics they use when they head to commercial break, you can see they're pretty different and kinda heavy on grays and shiny elements. I'm gonna go ahead and say that's what their next package looks like next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the CBS Logo background is Blue rather than Grey on the scorebug, so......  change?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A montage of TNT NBA playoff intros from a couple years back.

My favorite parts of these intros are the establishing shots of the arena exterior or the cities with no other graphics except for the closed captioned symbol at the top right. I also love when they'd show Jurassic Park at the beginning of the Raptors' home games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2019 at 1:13 AM, neo_prankster said:

A montage of TNT NBA playoff intros from a couple years back.

My favorite parts of these intros are the establishing shots of the arena exterior or the cities with no other graphics except for the closed captioned symbol at the top right. I also love when they'd show Jurassic Park at the beginning of the Raptors' home games.

I've gone on record that I'm ready for a change from TNT (currently in its 5th season having used these graphics). While it is an absolute beauty, especially with how they incorporate cities, I'd say the 2010-11 set was superior. It brought more color and the transitions had full-screen shots of key locations in town or the city skyline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is NBA TV using a new scorebug for the playoffs? It looks really nice/clean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.