2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

Starting to look like the Hawks are just those Penguins/Capitals teams that run up scores but are fundamentally unable to be truly elite.

One bad game and the Hawks are no longer "elite"? Give me a break.

They've had one win against a legitimate contender: that 5-1 win over the Sharks where the Sharks showed up half-asleep on a Sunday and didn't know what the hell they were doing. They haven't beaten St. Louis, they haven't beaten Colorado, they've dropped two to Minnesota, and they haven't beaten Anaheim in this calendar year. They've gotten fat on Winnipeg and the East but haven't stepped up big in any real playoff previews yet. Combine that with the worst penalty kill in the league that isn't the Islanders and it's more than a minor cause for concern. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting to look like the Hawks are just those Penguins/Capitals teams that run up scores but are fundamentally unable to be truly elite.

They've had one win against a legitimate contender: that 5-1 win over the Sharks where the Sharks showed up half-asleep on a Sunday and didn't know what the hell they were doing. They haven't beaten St. Louis, they haven't beaten Colorado, they've dropped two to Minnesota, and they haven't beaten Anaheim in this calendar year. They've gotten fat on Winnipeg and the East but haven't stepped up big in any real playoff previews yet. Combine that with the worst penalty kill in the league that isn't the Islanders and it's more than a minor cause for concern. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

And yet they have THE MOST POINTS IN THE LEAGUE SOMEHOW. Just enjoy your good team.

You're turning into Andy circa 2013 playoffs.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

The Hawks are an exceptionally good team, but the PK is the least-funny joke this side of Michael Richards' stand-up, and the goalie depth chart right now is ipecac. Healthy Crawford and less idiocy will me this team a juggernaut, but as they're playing now, they're a high seed destined for an early exit, so yeah, the Capitals. Loooooooong way to go here, though.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yeah yeah, Crawford was out, but to beat the Blackhawks 7-3 is still awesome. Peter Holland has been a pleasant surprise with Bollie and Bozak out.

Also: Bob Cole did the play-by-play in what is unfortunately a rare occurrence. Screw Hughson and Healey. He should be doing Leafs HNIC games.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Well that was fun last night.

The Leafs had been slumping lately, and it wasn't going to last forever. They were going to explode sooner rather then later, and they just happened to come up against a Blackhawks team starting their number 3 goalie. Perfect storm for the 'Hawks to get blown out.

I don't know why the Hawks' PK has gotten so passive. The magic of it last year was that Kruger and Frolik went hard after the puck and would establish possession in the other end. Now they just set up a box and hope they can fling it back a few times before it goes in the net. Frolik was good, but he didn't do anything Versteeg, Smith, or Morin can't do. Of course, that would mean giving Jeremy Morin more playing time than Brandon Bollig, and Quenneville needs his blankie.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So far, the Kings are proving to be the best team in the NHL...if these Chicago Blackhawks were to have never existed in the face of the hockey universe.

They always play well against the other 28 teams. Then they play Chicago, and that turns into another story, completely.

Archived