2014 FIFA World Cup

UnclearInitial

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the centennial crest and hate our 90s looking crest, but IMO this shirt looks much better with this crest than the centennial.

Agreed that it looks better with this crest and I hate this crest. But I don't think the centennial crest is very good either. There's a difference between classy and boring. The new shirt is classy, the centennial crest is boring.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I find it terribly disappointing that we've jettisoned Navy Blue for Royal Blue. I'd prefer that the shade of Blue used in the badge and uniforms of our national soccer teams be more reflective of the shade in our nation's flag. While "Old Glory Blue" isn't exactly Navy Blue, it certainly isn't Royal. Further, from an aesthetic standpoint, the Royal Blue seems completely washed-out when compared to Navy Blue.

According to this website the official Pantone of the blue on the US flag is basically navy (Pantone 282C), but two other Pantones are also acceptable, Pantones 281C & 288C. Pantone 288C appears to be dark royal. The official Pantone should be used though IMO.

https://www.pantone.com/pages/myp_mypantone/myppalettedetail.aspx?p_id=75&p_type=p_detail#

Update: I just found a different site that says Pantone 281C is the official blue, so who knows.

http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/3263/American_Flag

I love the centennial crest and hate our 90s looking crest, but IMO this shirt looks much better with this crest than the centennial.

Agreed that it looks better with this crest and I hate this crest. But I don't think the centennial crest is very good either. There's a difference between classy and boring. The new shirt is classy, the centennial crest is boring.

I still prefer the centennial; at least it reflects the American flag. I'd take boring over 90s and cheap any day.

Can someone piece together what we know about the away?

red

"captain America meets 94wc"

The shade of Blue featured on this new U.S. Men's National Soccer Team badge and kit is significantly lighter than the near-Navy Blue of the canton of any U.S. flag that I've ever seen.

Navy is used on the majority of US flags, but I have seen many that used dark royal instead. I have no idea if that's because both are acceptable or that they were likely made in China and the manufacturer wasn't aware or didn't care they were using the wrong color.

I've seen a lot of negative comments regarding the US kits (seems to be a common thing with every US release...save for the centennial). I don't understand the hatred with these. I could see how some would strongly dislike the Waldo style but this is essentially a polo shirt. Yes it is plain but it's not ugly by any means. What about it is so ugly? It's a plain white shirt with minimal trim and ultra subtle pinstripes.

I've seen a lot of negative comments regarding the US kits (seems to be a common thing with every US release...save for the centennial). I don't understand the hatred with these. I could see how some would strongly dislike the Waldo style but this is essentially a polo shirt. Yes it is plain but it's not ugly by any means. What abouut it is so ugly? It's a plain white shirt with minimal trim and ultra subtle pinstripes.

I like em, just really don't like the crest, I think all white is gonna look really classy. I think these are better than last WC ones. I'm really excited to see the aways.

Also I think a lot of people really liked the walls and/or the centennials and these are probably seen as a slight downgrade from those.

Personally I'd put them below those but above the current aways.

I don't mind Nike and US soccer's use of royal blue. It's not like it's unprecedented for USA sports teams to use lighter shades of blue--US Hockey has a history of using royal blue, winning the 1980 Olympics and 1996 World Cup with uniforms using royal instead of navy:

130125144742-mike-eruzione-single-image-

one_leetch06.jpg

I'm still trying to decide which organization has a worse crest: US Soccer or USA Hockey. I love both the teams to death, but they both need to get out of the 90s...

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Uh, take it with a grain of salt since I don't know the source he got it from (but HFK is usually reliable) and check out what HFK has for the US' second kit.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The surprising thing about Nike's all-white primary and all-red clash design for the US kits is the fact that both Germany and Ghana use all-white primaries, Portugal wears all-red primaries, and Ghana uses all-red clash kits. If Portugal unleashes an all-white clash like they've worn recently, almost every match in the group will be an all-red team versus an all white team. I guess one of the more interesting groups on the pitch will be the most boring in terms of aesthetics.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

"WC94 meets Captain America"

WC94 means either lots of stars (home shirt) , or red/white vertical stripes (away shirt).

Captain America is known for having the big star on his chest.

My guess is a red shirt with white vertical stripes. With a big star on the chest (in royal?)

I'm still trying to decide which organization has a worse crest: US Soccer or USA Hockey. I love both the teams to death, but they both need to get out of the 90s...

US Soccer. It needs changing, but the centennial crest isn't the answer.

I still very much like USA Hockey's crest.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The thing about the leak is that the Waldos were so spot on, something uniquely USMNT. Paired with navy pants, and it was great. It just needed hooped socks.

The centennial kit was classy, and with navy shorts it balanced it all out.

They completely redid everything, and didn't keep the good parts. Nothing about this screams "USMNT". You get one shot every 4 years at a great look for the World Cup, and nike whiffed on a 45-mph fastball thrown by a little leaguer.

Uh, take it with a grain of salt since I don't know the source he got it from (but HFK is usually reliable) and check out what HFK has for the US' second kit.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Their usual policy is to only work from officially confirmed sources and not leaks or rumours, so them showing the away kit is a little curious. That said, HFK (although a smashing site) isn't immune from errors or duff information so we'll see.

The shorts make it a bit better, but... eh. It's a golf shirt. It's a Ralph Lauren polo.

This. I like simple -- love the Centennial, for example -- but this is just too drab. Would have been nice maybe with royal blue trim along with the red on the sleeves and collar? That might help.

Agreed. If you could get away with wearing it to golf at a country club, it's too damn boring.

I've seen a lot of negative comments regarding the US kits (seems to be a common thing with every US release...save for the centennial). I don't understand the hatred with these. I could see how some would strongly dislike the Waldo style but this is essentially a polo shirt. Yes it is plain but it's not ugly by any means. What about it is so ugly? It's a plain white shirt with minimal trim and ultra subtle pinstripes.

It's not ugly. It's DULL! (sleepz)

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived