The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

I bought my first Reebok "Premier" hockey replica recently, and my goodness. Flimsy. As. Hell.

Now, again, I neither condone nor advocate the purchase of counterfeit jerseys. But if an uneducated consumer is presented with the options of this $130 replica or a $60 "authentic", I can see why they'd go for the latter, even if it does look shoddy to the trained eye.

I feel the key there is "uneducated consumer". It's on the manufacturers to make a competitive/superior product to justify the price point. And it's on the leagues to get the message across as to why fans should purchase non-counterfeit merchandise. Buy airtime during sporting events and say something more than "come to our web shop and buy buy buy", because while you're doing that, countless people have eBay or superrealjerseys.us in their hand and think they're getting the same thing for 75% less.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I know it's been said before, but I feel it warrants being repeated. The quality of NHL sweaters for sale, across all price points, have really suffered since the Edge switch over. If you look at the "innovations" the Edge sweaters brought us, most of them have vanished. The slimmer cuts have been replaced with cuts similar or identical to the pre-Edge sweaters. The "advanced" material has been replaced with the pre-Edge fabrics. Most of the "modern" Edge designs have been replaced. The only thing left from this "switch over" in a few years will be incredibly expensive poorly made sweaters at retail and that stupid hem tail.

Not advocating that one should support counterfeit merchandise, but the NHL would make things a lot easier on themselves if they just gave us late 90s/early 2000s replica/authentic quality sweaters. I'd even be fine with the current prices if the merchandise was of a higher quality.

When you add in that most "authentic" Reebok NHL jerseys are now second-rate Indonesian sweatshop jobs, and true authentic jerseys are only available at limited outlets where only the jersey-obsessive are likely able to discern the difference, the level of botchery is really something to behold.

For what it's worth, my Premier jersey is an AHL replica, which means it's made in Canada, and it;s still not very good. The material reminds me of those thin replicas from the 1980s.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

A guy on reddit won a Ducks jersey at a pub and someone pointed out that it looked fake,

xnOA9PG.jpg

Namely the collar, the NHL logo and the captain's C not being the actual font.

The original poster found CCM logos on the jersey but Reebok tags. He searched it up and found:

The Adidas-Reebok Edge jersey with the CCM tags is the jersey the company sells as a less expensive alternate to the 'Official' team jersey.

Any of you heard of this?

IbjBaeE.png

The only thing I don't like about today's NHL replicas are the crappy shoulder patches and the lettering if you get them from NHL.COM. However if you buy from a place like coolhockey.com or icejerseys.com etc... you can get the better lettering at the same price.

I like the way the current replicas fit and feel, they are much more comfortable.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

The only thing I don't like about today's NHL replicas are the crappy shoulder patches and the lettering if you get them from NHL.COM. However if you buy from a place like coolhockey.com or icejerseys.com etc... you can get the better lettering at the same price.

I like the way the current replicas fit and feel, they are much more comfortable.

Yes, that is true about the patches and lettering. The customization from NHL.com is horrible and they do not use the correct materials & fonts. But that depends on how "accurate" one wants the jersey to be. For me, I try and match them as close to what the team and/or player wears on the ice. I have a list of customizers/sources where I send my jerseys, and they do a pretty nice job. One also has to "do their homework". That means searching what materials teams wore for certain styles and seasons. Then again, for some that may not matter.

A guy on reddit won a Ducks jersey at a pub and someone pointed out that it looked fake,

Namely the collar, the NHL logo and the captain's C not being the actual font.

The original poster found CCM logos on the jersey but Reebok tags. He searched it up and found:

The Adidas-Reebok Edge jersey with the CCM tags is the jersey the company sells as a less expensive alternate to the 'Official' team jersey.

Any of you heard of this?

I think I can help. I pulled out my authentic (retail) version of that jersey. Unfortunately the one you have a picture of appears to be a fake; the collars aren't similar at all.

As for CCM tagging, all of my retail authentics display the CCM logo on the sizing tag inside the back collar. The four team issue authentics I have do not have the CCM logo. Now I'm not saying this holds true for *every* style but from what I have seen it is a good way to tell the difference between the two. To further muddy the waters, this only holds true for jerseys made in Canada (model numbers 7187 and 7287). For the authentics made in Indonesia the jersey has a lime green line along the back of the neck that has the size printed on it. This type jersey has never been used on ice and isn't truly authentic. Both 7187 and 7287 (referred to as Edge 1.0 and Edge 2.0) have both been used on ice but 2.0 is almost exclusively used now.

I've been meaning for forever and a day to take some pictures and post the differences here. Definitely a project for the next off day.

Edit: Meant to add my two cents on the current replicas... I don't like them. I think they're a step back in every way. (Jock tag, bad shoulder patches to name a few) I'm huge into jersey collecting and the only current generation replicas I have are styles without shoulder patches, as the cheap ones bother me way more than they should. As a retailer they're a nightmare also. More expensive than the CCM/Kohos were and don't pass the shelf test when compared directly. Not to go off on too far a tangent but I'm crossing all my fingers Bauer gets the next NHL jersey contract. They just put out some gamewear jerseys and they are amazing. 2/3 the cost of the RBKs and superior quality/fit/durability.

Canadian-made Edge 2.0s are extremely nice, because they're basically CCM 6100 Air-Knits with a different cut and some stretch material added on the sides.

Jerseys from team shops have the same patches, but better lettering for some reason. I have jerseys from both Anaheim and Chicago, and they both have the crappy patches.

Do you own authentics or premier/replicas? There is a difference between them in patch quality. Usually the replicas are screened-on with twill stitching, while authentics are actual patches sewn onto the jersey.

You know, I've seen some replicas with screen-printed NoB/numbers on shelves for the same price as higher-quality ones with "proper" numbers/lettering (literally right beside each other, too!). This inconsistency is a real piss-off, considering how two people could buy the same product at the same store for the same price at the same time with one guy getting a much more inferior product.

Aside from that, the screen-printed shoulder patches are the only things about Reebok replicas that bug me.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

http://www.ebay.com/...7610#vi-content

i started laughing when i saw this. the description calls it a "hard to find authentic game worn jersey". look like someone took a mo williams jersey and added IRVING in block letters.

I wonder who "Kylie" Irving is.

haha! i didn't even notice that. now it screams FAKE even more for the idiots who may of thought it was real

spacer.png

icinla1.jpg

icinla2.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17