College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

needs a gold facemask

3zaJ2DS.jpg

Absolutely not. Yellow is so high school. They could go back to cardinal and be fine but I have a hard time believing Haden would let the program ditch gray despite any sales pitch that sark could put forward. The program (via alumni) is simply to rooted into its glorious retro self for it to tinker or deviate from their golden era look.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forget where I read it but supposedly UGA was pushed back another year on the true silver pants. Fingers crossed it wasn't true. I am also hoping for a black jersey and maybe some red or black pants for the road but we know that won't happen.

needs a gold facemask

3zaJ2DS.jpg

Absolutely not. Yellow is so high school. They could go back to cardinal and be fine but I have a hard time believing Haden would let the program ditch gray despite any sales pitch that sark could put forward. The program (via alumni) is simply to rooted into its glorious retro self for it to tinker or deviate from their golden era look.

Just because you don't like something, doesn't make it "high school" nor does it make it bad. Your reaction to it is so high school.

needs a gold facemask

3zaJ2DS.jpg

Just because you don't like something, doesn't make it "high school" nor does it make it bad. Your reaction to it is so high school.

Uh no. Based on personal observation (a robust data sample I know) yellow masks are predominant across high school uniforms and they do not look good. Cardinal/yellow, maroon/yellow, royal/yellow, black/yellow and navy yellow are all too common. The yellow just draws way too much attention to the face mask and detracts from good looking uniforms (like usc). The only mask color more high school than yellow is orange.

Sorry if it hurt your feelings that I think a yellow mask for usc would downgrade their look significantly compared to gray or cardinal.

needs a gold facemask

3zaJ2DS.jpg

Uh no. Based on personal observation (a robust data sample I know) yellow masks are predominant across high school uniforms and they do not look good. Cardinal/yellow, maroon/yellow, royal/yellow, black/yellow and navy yellow are all too common. The yellow just draws way too much attention to the face mask and detracts from good looking uniforms (like usc). The only mask color more high school than yellow is orange.

Sorry if it hurt your feelings that I think a yellow mask for usc would downgrade their look significantly compared to gray or cardinal.

I look at this in another light...the yellow facemask makes the logo stand out more, thus my focus is mainly on the helmet and not on the facemask. Now with a gray facemask, it detracts my view of the logo and helmet itself because the gray does not make anything on the helmet stand out.

spacer.png

needs a gold facemask

3zaJ2DS.jpg

I look at this in another light...the yellow facemask makes the logo stand out more, thus my focus is mainly on the helmet and not on the facemask. Now with a gray facemask, it detracts my view of the logo and helmet itself because the gray does not make anything on the helmet stand out.

Something that does not make anything stand out also detracts from the helmet logo? That makes no sense. If you want the logo to stand out go with a cardinal mask. That draws all of the visual contrast directly to the logo. If anything a yellow mask competes against a yellow logo the most out of 3 options. Also the trojan logo is very subtle into itself, there's never been an intent to feature or draw attention to the logo other than the 1 year in the early 90's when they swapped the old trojan drawing with the Tommy silhouette. That helmet logo popped, the traditional trojan does not, nor should it as usc is a classic retro uniform.

needs a gold facemask

3zaJ2DS.jpg

That doesn't make any sense. By adding another yellow element (a facemask) you would actually make the yellow logo less unique, therefore it would stand out less, not more. It's a basic design principal, Harmony vs. Variety. You use Harmony (similar elements repeated) to bring a design together and Variety (one element left unique) to make a part of the design stand out. Obviously, by any design standard, if the logo is the only thing that's yellow, it jumps out more.

Look, we all know you hate gray facemasks... you can just say that. It's OK.

And for the record IMHO USC looks awesome with thier gray mask... like most gray masks.

needs a gold facemask

3zaJ2DS.jpg

That doesn't make any sense. By adding another yellow element (a facemask) you would actually make the yellow logo less unique, therefore it would stand out less, not more. It's a basic design principal, Harmony vs. Variety. You use Harmony (similar elements repeated) to bring a design together and Variety (one element left unique) to make a part of the design stand out. Obviously, by any design standard, if the logo is the only thing that's yellow, it jumps out more.

Look, we all know you hate gray facemasks... you can just say that. It's OK.

And for the record IMHO USC looks awesome with thier gray mask... like most gray masks.

I did not say it made sense..but that is how I view helmet and facemasks. Everyone likes different elements in uniform design and things stand out to different people. I am not saying that others are wrong, I'm just saying that is how i view things. Gray is a boring color and it simply does nothing for me. As for this "yellow" facemask, I don't like it...I would prefer for the facemask to be red.

spacer.png

needs a gold facemask

3zaJ2DS.jpg

First of all, I have to have feeling for you to hurt, so don't worry, I have none for you to hurt. *smile* Secondly, because it's done in high school does not make it wrong and does not mean it doesn't look good. And I'm not saying that a yellow face mask on USC would look good. I'm just saying that a yellow face mask on a helmet does look good.

Only two helmets look good with a yellow facemask: The Redskins and San Jose State (who switched to gray last year and now it looks bad).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived