College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You thought this was someone other than Oregon?

Josh+Huff+Tostitos+BCS+National+Champion

I thought they were an Arena team... because that's what they look like right there.

How much longer until people just accept that's what Oregon will look like ? We all know they will wear crazy uniforms every game, I just see it as normal now

This was a huge branding failure as others have mentioned, on field they opted to not wear a single school color on the largest stage the program has ever been on. Yet what makes matters even worse is that the coaching staff, support staff, cheerleaders, mascot, and fans all wore some variation of green/yellow, green/black, or green/white. Talk about a disjointed mess. If you are going to adopt volt for a single game to say look at us make sure the entire program including fans is behind it otherwise you look like a low budget mess.

I thought they were an Arena team... because that's what they look like right there.

How much longer until people just accept that's what Oregon will look like ? We all know they will wear crazy uniforms every game, I just see it as normal now

This was a huge branding failure as others have mentioned, on field they opted to not wear a single school color on the largest stage the program has ever been on. Yet what makes matters even worse is that the coaching staff, support staff, cheerleaders, mascot, and fans all wore some variation of green/yellow, green/black, or green/white. Talk about a disjointed mess. If you are going to adopt volt for a single game to say look at us make sure the entire program including fans is behind it otherwise you look like a low budget mess.

I disagree completely. Do you know how many times the announcers talked about Oregon's uniforms during the game? Or how many times the camera zoomed in on different parts of the uniform? Or how many times ESPN mentioned it on SportsCenter before and after the game? The Oregon uniform was discussed far more than a uniform ever was before. it pushed their brand forward and created this uniform euphoria that we see today.

From a brand perspective, using green and yellow wouldn't have done anything for them. Everybody would say, "yep there's Oregon." But wearing what they did changed the conversation to, "man, did you see what Oregon was wearing?!" Even though they lost that game they created a lot of buzz for their program which I believe helped continue momentum, moreso than if they had lost that game in their normal uniforms.

That doesn't make it right.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I disagree completely. Do you know how many times the announcers talked about Oregon's uniforms during the game? Or how many times the camera zoomed in on different parts of the uniform? Or how many times ESPN mentioned it on SportsCenter before and after the game? The Oregon uniform was discussed far more than a uniform ever was before. it pushed their brand forward and created this uniform euphoria that we see today.

From a brand perspective, using green and yellow wouldn't have done anything for them. Everybody would say, "yep there's Oregon." But wearing what they did changed the conversation to, "man, did you see what Oregon was wearing?!" Even though they lost that game they created a lot of buzz for their program which I believe helped continue momentum, moreso than if they had lost that game in their normal uniforms.

Hell i got a pair of volt socks for lacrosse because of those unis, and volt shoes, among other things nike because of those unis, it helped Oregon and nikes brands where nike had a new color to market and Oregon created a mentality of waiting for the next thing for them to wear.

If that's an arena team, then what is this?

12038972-large.jpg

warmed over garbage.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

There are a ton of branding failures that may succeed as one off publicity stunts. I watched the game and I honestly did not remember the announcers talking about the uniforms at all. Pretty sure they spent more time talking about cam newton and nick fairley. Also when mentioning said uniforms did they talk about the school or nike? I think you're helping me prove my point though that the nike uniforms got more attention than the team/school that was actually on the field. That is a branding fail on oregon's part. They also wore the dark version against lsu and nobody cared. It was a cheap stunt that did nothing for the school.

Also I think the chrome helmet all green unis in the rose bowl got way more positive attention than the volt ncg unis. They also had a much more lasting effect as chrome, the winged helmet and feathered sleeves set the school's new design language for the next several years.

i have to side with JP and totally disagree, i think it was a huge branding success. its the only time they've worn that exact uniform and no other school could possibly be confused for Oregon here. it's not about using school colors in the big game its about making this big game as memorable as it could be and they nailed it. plus, the yellow and greens used in the athletic program are the school colors "amped up".

also from Nikes perspective it was even better. everything they do is about moving their primary product: shoes and apparel. using this uniform in the NC game and exposing the country to the Oregon brand pushed the cool factor of Nike and volt. great success, but in no way is a fail on Oregons part either. as long as they are associated with Nike, and doing unis like this they're going to be the coolest school in the country.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

i have to side with JP and totally disagree, i think it was a huge branding success. its the only time they've worn that exact uniform and no other school could possibly be confused for Oregon here. it's not about using school colors in the big game its about making this big game as memorable as it could be and they nailed it. plus, the yellow and greens used in the athletic program are the school colors "amped up".

also from Nikes perspective it was even better. everything they do is about moving their primary product: shoes and apparel. using this uniform in the NC game and exposing the country to the Oregon brand pushed the cool factor of Nike and volt. great success

Sorry it just doesn't work that way as a flash in the pan stunt does not have a lasting impact. They were already on the the biggest stage possible, a flashy new uniform (which was not new just a recolor of an existing uniform) at that point is not going to give the oregon brand more exposure. The ROI for oregon at that point is minimal as the only incremental move that would increase their equity would have been to win the game and add a championship.

Only nike had more to gain at that point and they may have been able to sell some more volt sneakers and accessories. Also nike had already been using volt in their colorways so there was nothing really creative or new. I give them credit for using the tv opportunity to drive sales but that's an incremental promotional effort and nowhere the significance of doing something as significant as a campaign launch or a full blown rebrand.

Hell i got a pair of volt socks for lacrosse because of those unis, and volt shoes, among other things nike because of those unis, it helped Oregon and nikes brands where nike had a new color to market and Oregon created a mentality of waiting for the next thing for them to wear.
Not surprised at all by that revelation. I'm pretty certain that if Oregon shows up pants-less and wearing chromatic-volt jock straps this weekend, high school football teams all across the US will be copying that look the following Friday night.

also from Nikes perspective it was even better. everything they do is about moving their primary product: shoes and apparel. using this uniform in the NC game and exposing the country to the Oregon brand pushed the cool factor of Nike and volt. great success

Sorry it just doesn't work that way as a flash in the pan stunt does not have a lasting impact. They were already on the the biggest stage possible, a flashy new uniform (which was not new just a recolor of an existing uniform) at that point is not going to give the oregon brand more exposure. The ROI for oregon at that point is minimal as the only incremental move that would increase their equity would have been to win the game and add a championship.

Only nike had more to gain at that point and they may have been able to sell some more volt sneakers and accessories. Also nike had already been using volt in their colorways so there was nothing really creative or new. I give them credit for using the tv opportunity to drive sales but that's an incremental promotional effort and nowhere the significance of doing something as significant as a campaign launch or a full blown rebrand.

its not a gimmick or a publicity stunt, and certainly not a "flash in the pan" idea. its not like they come out every week looking like Penn State and then switch to this for one game. it is Oregon truely living their brand. they are all about doing things differently, carving their own paths, and being unexpected. winning will always be important but again, its the only time they've worn this uniform. the uniform marks this event the same way a custom logo would. being a recolor of everything they wore that year only makes it better. every combo they wear it the same; with different colors. they were able to keep all their elements together and do something new with color. that is variety and consistency together and beautiful identity/branding work.

i think the ROI for Oregon only builds. again, its "living your brand". they push aesthetic boundaries and that is a reflection of their approach to football, especially under Chip Kelly. on the biggest stage of their athletic life, Oregon pushed it a bit further.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Ohio State confirms that they'll be wearing their rivalry uniforms vs Virginia Tech

https://twitter.com/PhilHecken/status/507349046315335680

I like that they only do it for big games as far as I know, the way real alternates should be done

I think the exact opposite. If you must have an alternate you should wear it against boobs like Florida A&M to stir up interest in what will be a boring game.
But in a game against a tougher opponent with a lot of national eyeballs watching you should look like yourselves to either establish a brand or reinforce strength in your known brand. The fact of the matter though is that these schools wear these one off jerseys in these big games because it generates the most exposure for new jersey sales. PERIOD.
I'm not talking about Oregon. Their known brand is never wearing the same look twice. They're an exception.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Whether you like it or not, oregon has been and will continue to be the trendsetters in college football. Sure, some of the stuff that is rolled out across college football these days is a little outlandish, but oregon does it the right way Everytime. I am a huge oregon fan( not a bandwagon) but compared to any other school out there trying to rock chrome or matte or any outlandish designs, oregon is and most likely always will be the best.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Ohio State confirms that they'll be wearing their rivalry uniforms vs Virginia Tech

https://twitter.com/PhilHecken/status/507349046315335680

I like that they only do it for big games as far as I know, the way real alternates should be done

I think the exact opposite. If you must have an alternate you should wear it against boobs like Florida A&M to stir up interest in what will be a boring game.
But in a game against a tougher opponent with a lot of national eyeballs watching you should look like yourselves to either establish a brand or reinforce strength in your known brand. The fact of the matter though is that these schools wear these one off jerseys in these big games because it generates the most exposure for new jersey sales. PERIOD.
I'm not talking about Oregon. Their known brand is never wearing the same look twice. They're an exception.

I guess it's just different for me..I didn't really get into uniforms and sports logos like that until I saw the Pro Combat Series uniforms where teams would wear their one-offs in the opening game or against a rival (Boise State - Va Tech, UGA - Boise State , LSU-Oregon ) . I'd rather them do it there than in the conference games .

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

You want to talk ROI? Let's look at actual numbers then. Forbes has been ranking the most valuable college football teams for a few years now. In 2011 (the year before the National Championship game) Oregon was not even in the top 20. But, in 2012, the year following the National Championship game, when they began to really amp up their uniform presence, they jumped all the way up to #15 on the list. And you want to talk about sustainable? In 2013, they were ranked #3. If their ROI only increases by winning that National Title game, then how in the hell do you explain that?

Now obviously not all of those revenue boosts are due to what uniforms they wear. They made a few BCS bowls in there, etc. But the fact that they skyrocketed from outside the top 20 to number 3 on the list, in the years when they are embracing their wild identity (what you've been referring to as a branding failure) is not simply a coincidence. Better yet if it truly was a disaster, those revenue increases are phenomenal in the face of said disaster.

Archived