College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adidas strikes again

ByJHWltCYAAm3ha.png

What I want to know is who is the guy in the Adidas offices that saw the tire mark on all these jerseys and went "you know what, that looks great lets go with it." That guy, I hate.

Also, the helmet. man oh man Louisville why sign off on this stuff

Well, look at Petrino's history of bad modern uniforms and you will find your answer. This has got to be the worst Adidas special uniform to date!

That helmet is atrocious!

spacer.png

any chance the NCAA ultimately steps in and says teams can only have so many uniforms and colors?

Umm.....no.

As much as some of us traditionalists might not like the one-off looks, I have to give schools and outfitters credit for at least trying to push the envelope. Once upon a time, almost every team in football - college or pro - was just a variant of shoulder/pants stripes to some degree. We've seen some really amazing (and really terrible) designs over the years, but I have to think that over time they're slowly getting better.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

any chance the NCAA ultimately steps in and says teams can only have so many uniforms and colors?

Umm.....no.

As much as some of us traditionalists might not like the one-off looks, I have to give schools and outfitters credit for at least trying to push the envelope. Once upon a time, almost every team in football - college or pro - was just a variant of shoulder/pants stripes to some degree. We've seen some really amazing (and really terrible) designs over the years, but I have to think that over time they're slowly getting better.

other than Oregon's use of the wings on the shoulders, and the helmet with the wings and logo placed on the back, I'm struggling to think of other good designs recently...and even with Oregon's good designs they use way to many colors and would look much better with, at most, shades of only green and yellow

Umm.....no.

other than Oregon's use of the wings on the shoulders, and the helmet with the wings and logo placed on the back, I'm struggling to think of other good designs recently...and even with Oregon's good designs they use way to many colors and would look much better with, at most, shades of only green and yellow

That is where I think Oregon went from modern to plain out ugly as I prefer the "O" logo on the side of the helmet and hate those wings. But that is just me of course.

spacer.png

West Virginia has the worst number font I've ever seen. The number 5 looked like an upside-down 2.

559Oklahoma%20West%20Virginia%20Football

Oklahoma%20West%20Virginia%20Football-2.

AR-140919143.jpg

stefon-diggs-ncaa-football-west-virginia

541e94b930866.image.jpg

My mom texted me on Saturday night to tell me she hates West Virginia's number font. You know it's bad when your mother comments on it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I mean I could take Oregon's uniforms if they could match their 4 shades of green on the same day... here's looking at their helmets last week.

This sounds like a critique in the Concepts Forum.

It's unfathomable to me that multi-million dollar Universities and billion-dollar firms like Nike can't get colors to match properly. I don't care how amazing the design was on the draft table, even the smallest execution errors will ruin it.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I mean I could take Oregon's uniforms if they could match their 4 shades of green on the same day... here's looking at their helmets last week.

It's unfathomable to me that multi-million dollar Universities and billion-dollar firms like Nike can't get colors to match properly. I don't care how amazing the design was on the draft table, even the smallest execution errors will ruin it.

Precisely! I have always been amazed how someone at Nike accepted the new uniforms and thought they were good. Take the new jersey templates as an example. How someone accepted the sweat-stain jerseys should be fired as the boxes look nothing like the jersey when wet. For me, this is unacceptable coming from a company like Nike. You may love or hate Reebok, but when the NFL players sweated you didn't see the mismatched colors on their jerseys. Look at the following comparisons of the Detroit Lions: with Reebok and with Nike. Give me Reebok jerseys all day long. As for College Football, I prefer UA to Nike as well in terms of sweat stains.

spacer.png

Precisely! I have always been amazed how someone at Nike accepted the new uniforms and thought they were good. Take the new jersey templates as an example. How someone accepted the sweat-stain jerseys should be fired as the boxes look nothing like the jersey when wet. For me, this is unacceptable coming from a company like Nike. You may love or hate Reebok, but when the NFL players sweated you didn't see the mismatched colors on their jerseys. Look at the following comparisons of the Detroit Lions: with Reebok and with Nike. Give me Reebok jerseys all day long. As for College Football, I prefer UA to Nike as well in terms of sweat stains.

Exactly. And while Nike probably has some puffery to exaggerate their claims that the Nike-brand mesh material shaves 0.56% air resistance off a player's forward drag, it's a bunch of hogwash IMO.

Nike has become like Apple - the technology they purport to imbue the wearer with magical properties is only decently advanced compared to the market, but their PR teams spin it like it was spidersilk,

UyDgMWP.jpg

Adidas strikes again

ByJHWltCYAAm3ha.png

What I want to know is who is the guy in the Adidas offices that saw the tire mark on all these jerseys and went "you know what, that looks great lets go with it." That guy, I hate.

Also, the helmet. man oh man Louisville why sign off on this stuff

Excuse me for one second...

X35xW.gif

I don't mind if Louisville has alternate uniforms like the all-black combo, but this is an abomination. Louisville should've went to UA instead of sticking with Adidas at least UA has done an impressive job with the recent uniform updates (Maryland, Northwestern, Texas Tech).

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Andy Reid agrees :P

his-diet-officially-started-last-night.j

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

The reason reebok was so consistent is that they relied almost entirely upon their contract manufacturer (primarily ripon) for jersey constrution and fabrics. Those templates were in used for about 20 years and the fabrics were readily available in a multitude of colors. The consistency from the 90's through the early 10's had little to nothing to do with reebok as a designer/manufacturer more their willingness to keep the status quo.

When nike decided to bring their proprietary moisture wicking and lighter fabric into football which changed everything. The dazzle/metallic-poly/nylon fabric blends disappeared and template construction changed dramatically. Ultimately adidas and ua followed nike's lead with creating their own fabric technology/designs which leaves us where we are. These companies and ultimately their clients have elected to value technology/function over aesthetics (color matching/sweat stains). Is that reflective of successful product development or successful marketing? That's the real debate.

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Archived