Super Bowl XLVIII

njmeadowlanders

Do players playing in the Super Bowl get named to the Pro Bowl and then replaced by someone else? I'd like to buy a Pro Bowl jersey for one a Denver player because I like the jerseys, but I don't see any listed.

However, since they were unable to participate, the reason you won't see any jerseys is because they didn't get 'drafted' onto a Pro Bowl team.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do players playing in the Super Bowl get named to the Pro Bowl and then replaced by someone else? I'd like to buy a Pro Bowl jersey for one a Denver player because I like the jerseys, but I don't see any listed.

Yes they get replaced, one of the reasons why I think its stupid they moved the pro bowl to before the Super Bowl, and not allowing Super Bowl players to play

I don't think Super Bowl players really care about playing in the Pro Bowl, no matter when the game is.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Yes they get replaced, one of the reasons why I think its stupid they moved the pro bowl to before the Super Bowl, and not allowing Super Bowl players to play

I don't think Super Bowl players really care about playing in the Pro Bowl, no matter when the game is.

im not saying they do, but some at least still played in it when it was after, like brady i know was a hold out most years, but other than that i don't remember many players doing so.

Here's might be why... The broncos and Seahawks both have navy-ish end zones, but neither have a navy jersey. So there is plenty of contrast on the field itself. Seahawks with white jerseys and navy endzone, broncos with orange jerseys and navy endzone. If broncos endzone was orange it might be an overload of orange. If the broncos had chosen to wear navy jerseys then maybe we would have seen an orange endzone.

That's a interesting thought. Makes some sense. But, both teams do have Navy helmets.

And look back at other Super Bowls. One that comes to mind right away is all the yellow out there for GB/Pitt. Yellow pants, yellow helmets, yellow end zone for Pitt. I wonder if they could/would have done black endzone for Pitt? Oh also, the gold for Saints/Colts. Saints wore gold pants, had gold helmets, and the endzone - to my surprise, as I thought it would be black - was gold.

And who knows why decisions like this are made, LOL.

Back in the day the of old helmet template (my favorite by the way). Endzones would contrast the helmet no matter what, even if it wasn't the teams primary color.

Redskins: Burgundy helmet, yellow endzone

Eagles: Kelly green helmet, grey endzone

Chargers: Navy helmet, yellow endzone

Steelers: Black helmet, yellow endzone

Giants: Navy helmet, red endzone

Bears: Navy helmet, orange endzone.

Which always made me wonder what they would do with the Jets if they every made it when they were only green and white. I also dreamed of a columbia blue endzone in the Super Bowl for the Oilers since the dome endzones were so boring.

Another thing that has bugged me. Does it seem like the wordmark for the teams is tiny some years compared to the old fields despite no helmets???? Last Year wasn't as bad.

Super Bowl 47

superdome_20130203155408_320_240.JPG

Super Bowl 46

super-bowl-field.png

Super Bowl 15

d7563d332436cc96671be5ed9979147fx.pngSuperBowlXVField.jpg

They size the word marks so it fits the height of the end zone and whatever width it is it is. If you were wondering why theres a recent trend of wide font high kern word marks in the nfl it's because to fit nicely in the endzones. You make logos to fit the area that are predominantly used. There would be no way to make those giants and patriots word mark wider without messing with the proportions.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I don't know if this is true, but I feel like the wordmark with Seattle overtop of Seahawks is their "official" wordmark. So it wouldn't surprise me to see the endzone have Seattle as well, just like it did in Super Bowl XL. For what it's worth, this is the only wordmark they have on the motherboard:

Official wordmarks - as of 2012:

SeattleSeahawks_WMK0100a_2012_SCC_SRGB.p

SeattleSeahawks_WMK0101a_2012_SCC_SRGB.p

SeattleSeahawks_WMK0102a_2012_SCC_SRGB.p

SeattleSeahawks_WMK0103a_2012_SCC_SRGB.p

Which always made me wonder what they would do with the Jets if they every made it when they were only green and white.

You would have come close to seeing that in 1982. I remember an interview with George Toma at the time where he said because of the strike-shortened season leaving only one week between the conference championships and Superbowl XVII they had to create stencil templates for all 4 teams. (Jets, Dolphins, Cowboys, Redskins) I'm guessing that unfortunately it would have been a white or grey end zone with a green logo though due to the Jets Kelly green helmets at the time.

Richard Todd and AJ Duhe put paid to us ever getting to see that though...

Another thing that has bugged me. Does it seem like the wordmark for the teams is tiny some years compared to the old fields despite no helmets???? Last Year wasn't as bad.

Yes, although it was nice to see the Bears and Colts end zone spaced properly. (Rams in XIV was an eyesore)

And look back at other Super Bowls. One that comes to mind right away is all the yellow out there for GB/Pitt. Yellow pants, yellow helmets, yellow end zone for Pitt. I wonder if they could/would have done black endzone for Pitt? Oh also, the gold for Saints/Colts. Saints wore gold pants, had gold helmets, and the endzone - to my surprise, as I thought it would be black - was gold.

And who knows why decisions like this are made, LOL.

Black Saints endzone would have been great. I wonder if the reason it was gold had anything to do with them wearing white?

Dolphins in Superbowl XIX is the only radical departure from standards I can remember. I guess after 4 previous Superbowls with aqua they wanted to change things up a bit.

12170853485_f6152cd16a_o.jpg

Yeah I think this would be it. You can't do white, so you can do green on green which looks fine even if it doesn't follow the template exactly, or you can make up a color to use like grey or black but why would you when green on green looks fine? The only other thing they could have done is make the helmets white but that makes even less sense when they did wear green helmets.
goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

12170853485_f6152cd16a_o.jpg

I guess that would have been it. The NFL would've had to break their own rules at the time because of the 82 Jets only having two colours with the other being white.

Pity they couldn't have done it a few other times during that run. Eagles (XV) Giants (XIX, XXV) Rams (XIV) and Bears (XX) would've all had a much nicer look in their respective Super Bowls.

If this Madden NFL 25 14 prediction is held up, here's what we can all expect in this Super Bowl in terms of aesthetics:

Wouldn't read too much into that. Madden's usually inaccurate. Last year, they decorated Superdome in black and gold, but we ended up getting purple, yellow and green.

Archived