Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getting New Logo, Helmet & Uniforms

TampaBayRays

Just a 2 minute mock up changing the numbers to first block font I could find to prove how big of a difference the numbers have made to what is otherwise a pretty good design IMO.

A29eo7M.png

I think this looks way MORE arena than they actual unveil.

I think this shows perfectly how a single element (like a font) can ruin an entire set.

No set that Nike has made for the NFL has been a head-to-toe trainwreck (so far, at least), but there has always been something that holds it back: Seattle's inconsistent usage of gray, Minnesota's matte helmets, Jacksonville's helmets in general, Miami's flimsy and lifeless logo, and Tampa's alarm clock font. If these were all fixed I don't think I'd a have a problem with any of them. But, Nike gonna Nike.

Numbers ruined all. White's also work with basic number.

bucs.jpg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday I was at the Flying J filling up my fuel tanks. I looked up at the meter to make sure I didn't go over my calculated amount to stay under legal drive tandem weight, double-checked the monitor because I thought a number was off--and a thought occurred: Nike pushed the idea of those numbers on purpose. It's already bad enough my team now looks worse than something Russell would've put out for an HBCU (and I seriously ain't joking), but now every single time I have to look at a digital display of any kind--fuel meter, the price billboards along the highway, the little alarm clock imbedded in the bulkhead of my sleeper berth, hell, the gauges on my freaking dashboard (which I should add is backlit in orange)--I now cannot unsee the utterly stupid number font stuck to those jerseys.

This is not how you torture a blood-fan here....nope not at all.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Just to remind the Nike bashers - these are some of the "amazing" uniforms that the previous supplier created:

SwR38fb.jpg

zFKeq7F.jpg

pEQnV6Z.jpg

Nike hasn't been perfect by any means, but almost anything is better than the piping-and-panels monstrosities that Reebok lazily pumped out.

628x471.jpg

I still like the falcons jerseys, and think they are one of the few instances where piping works. Nice number font too.

These are the WOAT imo

New+England+Patriots+v+Buffalo+Bills+P-n

Those Bills uniforms were my least favorite of all time and they look great compared to these new Tampa uniforms.

If the Buccaneers adopted those exact uniforms and rebranded themselves as the Tampa Bay Bills I would still like them more than the new uniforms the Bucs went with.

PvO6ZWJ.png

If it is popular with 12-year old kids, that's all that matters. At least that seems to be the target market these days.

BTW, if not for the numbers I kind of like these and I am generally an old fart traditionalist when it comes to these things.

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

Those Bills uniforms were my least favorite of all time and they look great compared to these new Tampa uniforms.

If the Buccaneers adopted those exact uniforms and rebranded themselves as the Tampa Bay Bills I would still like them more than the new uniforms the Bucs went with.

My thoughts exactly. Take a bad design to make one wish for the Bills uniforms.

If it is popular with 12-year old kids, that's all that matters. At least that seems to be the target market these days.

BTW, if not for the numbers I kind of like these and I am generally an old fart traditionalist when it comes to these things.

I have a hard time buying into the 12yo as the target demo for this product. Youth nike game jerseys start at $70 and the adult jumps to $100. Those price points don't scream youth mass market to me. Maybe they are targeting youth up market or youth near luxury but typically those price points enter adult up market territory which this new design is clearly not targeting.

To be fair, only the 2 and the 3 look like a digital clock so far. The 1, the 4, and the 9 don't really. They are awkward in their own right though.

Besides the overall design of the numbers, this is another problem I have. Not only are the numbers ugly, they are inconsistent. That inconsistency pisses me off more than the ship not being on both sleeves.

My question is WHY ? What was wrong with the old uniforms/helmet ????? And this is the best they could come up with ? Really ????????

Nothing was wrong with the old helmet, but the logo was completely dated and this change completely fixes that. The helmet logos don't have to be so big, but I don't think they look too terrible.

The old uniforms were exactly the same as Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Miami sorta. At least now, they have their own identity. The font has 4 layers of colors and that's way too much. But if they fix that, the font could be good.

I still can't decide... do I like the 4 because it doesn't have the slash marks, or hate it because it doesn't match the other numbers? I don't even think the base font itself is terrible, but the slashes are godawful space pirate crap that ruin the whole uniform.

temp43589_230875_AT_SP14_TBB_Team_Unifor

Now that I've seen a number 14, I don't mind the slash marks anymore. They don't appear on every number anyways, so if it's limited, I think it's a nice touch. But I'll have to reserve full judgment, until I see the entire font.

My question is WHY ? What was wrong with the old uniforms/helmet ????? And this is the best they could come up with ? Really ????????

Nothing was wrong with the old helmet, but the logo was completely dated and this change completely fixes that. The helmet logos don't have to be so big, but I don't think they look too terrible.

The old uniforms were exactly the same as Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Miami sorta. At least now, they have their own identity. The font has 4 layers of colors and that's way too much. But if they fix that, the font could be good.

I'm all for hyperbole, but do you want to scale that back a little?

Just to remind the Nike bashers - these are some of the "amazing" uniforms that the previous supplier created:

SwR38fb.jpg

zFKeq7F.jpg

pEQnV6Z.jpg

Nike hasn't been perfect by any means, but almost anything is better than the piping-and-panels monstrosities that Reebok lazily pumped out.

628x471.jpg

Funny thing, I actually like all of these uniforms created by Reebok.

Patriots - The piping on the jerseys is dated, but the overall uniform still works today.

Bengals - The only thing wrong with this set is the white side-panels on the orange & black jerseys

Cardinals - The only thing wrong with this set is the grey facemask

Falcons - I have always liked this set, it is not the set of the 90s but it is not bad either.

Changes since Nike came into the league again:

Vikings - Love the set, the black facemask is out of place and the curve of the sail on the numbers are the worst parts of the set.

Dolphins - Overall the set is good, it grew on me all season, but still would like to see an aqua facemask and an orange alternate.

Jaguars - Worst uniform in the NFL - The helmet ruins the whole set

Buccaneers - Second worst uniform in the NFL - MAJOR downgrade as I believed their last set was the best in the NFL.

So all in all, IMHO Reebok is the winner so far.

spacer.png

In terms of technique, they were exactly like Philly and Baltimore. Numbers on the shoulders, secondary logo on the sleeves, wordmark on neck.

It wasn't in need of a change. It was a good look.

The "OMG they have the exact same look as one or two other teams" argument is really old and lame. 32 teams don't need to have 32 different designs. It's okay if a couple teams "sorta" look like each other, especially if it's a solid, traditional look.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived