Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getting New Logo, Helmet & Uniforms

TampaBayRays

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't Adidas create the current Patriots look before the Reebok deal?

Indeed. Adidas had the Pats, Redskins, 49ers (great match, with the three stripes), Buccaneers, and maybe another team starting in 1999. The Pats' three-striped road socks in 2000 were clearly Adidas' mark on the team.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I found something new I really dont like: The back of the jerseys. The top just sort of collides with the pewter shoulders....

tempat_sp14_tbb_team_uniform_red_191-nfl

The white numerals are almost bearable since the digital lines aren't as noticeable. The dark numerals with bright silver digital lines are horrendous.

I keep hearing that this is for the kids, I'm sure they said that too about stuff in the 70s and we've thankfully got rid of most of the horrible designs from that era.

Indeed. Adidas had the Pats, Redskins, 49ers (great match, with the three stripes), Buccaneers, and maybe another team starting in 1999. The Pats' three-striped road socks in 2000 were clearly Adidas' mark on the team.

The Chargers were the other team.

t_33834_zps31c42686.jpg

G-d I miss that uniform. I didn't know what I had until it was gone.

t_33834_zps31c42686.jpg

I miss that uniform too. And that seems to be the theme here with the Buccaneers as well. We didn't appreciate what we had while we had it.

51852665_zps5928cd41.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

t_33834_zps31c42686.jpg

Those uniforms predated Adidas by quite a while... in fact, it's pretty much a recolor of the same basic uniforms they had been wearing since 1974, give or take a few details. And no, they sucked compared to the old-school powder blues. But the Spanoses just had to put "their own stamp" on the team. :rolleyes:

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Just to remind the Nike bashers - these are some of the "amazing" uniforms that the previous supplier created:

SwR38fb.jpg

zFKeq7F.jpg

pEQnV6Z.jpg

Nike hasn't been perfect by any means, but almost anything is better than the piping-and-panels monstrosities that Reebok lazily pumped out.

628x471.jpg

Funny thing, I actually like all of these uniforms created by Reebok.

Patriots - The piping on the jerseys is dated, but the overall uniform still works today.

Bengals - The only thing wrong with this set is the white side-panels on the orange & black jerseys

Cardinals - The only thing wrong with this set is the grey facemask

Falcons - I have always liked this set, it is not the set of the 90s but it is not bad either.

Changes since Nike came into the league again:

Vikings - Love the set, the black facemask is out of place and the curve of the sail on the numbers are the worst parts of the set.

Dolphins - Overall the set is good, it grew on me all season, but still would like to see an aqua facemask and an orange alternate.

Jaguars - Worst uniform in the NFL - The helmet ruins the whole set

Buccaneers - Second worst uniform in the NFL - MAJOR downgrade as I believed their last set was the best in the NFL.

So all in all you, Reebok is the winner so far.

I disagree.

The Patriots look terrible. I'd put them in the lower third of the league if we're ranking uniforms.

The Cardinals are a mess.

The Bengals look doesn't look as bad now as it did before, but it's kind of a jumbled mess, especially when compared to the uniforms they replaced.

And if we're going to compare the two companies, it's not unfair to compare Nike's Vikings uniforms, which would look nice with new numbers, to Reebok's 2006 Vikings uniform change which were pretty terrible looking aside from the helmets.

Also not unfair to compare Reebok's Seahawks uniforms to Nike's new Seahawks uniforms. The Seahawks current uniforms are miles better than what they replaced.

Neither company is without their bad designs but I think Reebok misses the mark a little more frequently.

IUe6Hvh.png

t_33834_zps31c42686.jpg

I miss that uniform too. And that seems to be the theme here with the Buccaneers as well. We didn't appreciate what we had while we had it.

51852665_zps5928cd41.jpg

I was going to go with this one...

This world was never meant for uniforms as good as those.

*sighs and goes onto my balcony to stare off into the distance and contemplate what's been lost*

t_33834_zps31c42686.jpg

Those uniforms predated Adidas by quite a while... in fact, it's pretty much a recolor of the same basic uniforms they had been wearing since 1974, give or take a few details.

I'm well aware. I was just pointing out that the Chargers were the other team to go to Adidas as a manufacturer.

And no

Um, yes.

...they sucked compared to the old-school powder blues. But the Spanoses just had to put "their own stamp" on the team. :rolleyes:

They are indeed inferior to the old school powder blues. They blow the current mess out of the water though.

For the new Bucs' uniforms, I made a concept laying out all the changes that I would have made to improve them. I'm also not going to freak out over a uniform that's actually pretty tame outside of a number font that nearly everyone, whether they're modernist, traditionalist, or in the middle, agrees is horrible. And there are some aspects that the new look improves upon the old look - for instance, actually using pewter on the jerseys.

I do have a problem with the Chargers' switch to royal and then navy. Powder blue worked just fine for the Chargers and didn't need changing, especially not to navy, the most overused color in sports. Ironically, in their quest to "put their own stamp on the team," the Spanos family ended up making the Chargers look less distinctive from the rest of the league.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

How are these tame?

These are the antithesis of tame. Digitized numbers, flat pewter yoke (that's looks like black got left out in the sun), flat pewter pants, arena league look, shiny pewter helmet with a first-of-its-kind-in-the-NFL chrome facemask, biggest helmet logo in the history of the NFL, random color spots, differing sleeve logos, and overly detailed logos. What's tame about all of that?

I see nothing that improves anything. Using pewter on the jerseys would've ruined the old look. Using that much pewter on the jerseys here looks tacky and overdone. There's no subtlety, no restraint, no thought put into it. Maybe I'm freaking out, but maybe everyone who doesn't like it has a point. If the majority are this against, if the Tampa fans are this against it, maybe something's wrong with it.

IMHO...

Helmet: downgrade

Primary logo: donwgrade

secondary logo: downgrade

jerseys: downgrade

pants: downgrade

numbers: possibly the dumbest single element I've ever seen on an NFL uniform

socks: downgrade

I'm trying to be as objective as I can and I don't think they're an improvement.

I don't like when things that aren't broken try to get fixed. I really don't like when things that aren't broken get fixed by replacing it with something that is broken. It's insanity and now the NFL looks 1/32nd worse than it used to.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Jaguars still have the worst uniforms in the NFL but even then it's due to their helmet.

Aside from the Buccaneers number font, their uniforms look like something that's modern basically. I can live with the helmet because it's a totally unique thing, it sets them apart from everyone else and it's as if the players are literally "flag bearers" for their team. It has a cool visual when looked at from the front.

It's funny how this board works. If something is simple and classic looking, everyone will crap on it (See: Vikings) but when someone modernizes and tries to introduce something new to the world of uniforms it too gets crapped on.

bSLCtu2.png

As another poster mentioned, the slashes don't look nearly as bad on the home jerseys. It appears to me that the design was obviously created with the home jerseys in mind, and the slashes almost imitate the look of the crossed swords in the new logo (the contrast between the "gray or chrome" and the white).

Archived