Golden State Considering Name Change to "San Francisco Warriors"

colortv

I can see Golden State being an oddity left to the dustbin with the Capital Bullets.

I'm old enough to remember that weirdness.

My reaction to that nonsense was the '70s equivalent of "WTF"?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see Golden State being an oddity left to the dustbin with the Capital Bullets.

Then there was the whole Bay State Patriots thing too ... I don't know if you would include New England Patriots/Whalers into conversation as well?

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Wasn't the whole "Capital Bullets" thing 'cause of the move to the Capital Center?

If memory serves me, it was only partly that. I believe Abe Pollin also wanted to market the Bullets as a regional (i.e., Baltimore-Washington) team and thought the name Washington Bullets would alienate Baltimore fans.

The name was changed the next year (1) to avoid confusion with the new Washington Capitals and (2 -- perhaps) because it was such a dumb name.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Then there was the whole Bay State Patriots thing too ... I don't know if you would include New England Patriots/Whalers into conversation as well?

I guess it's a gray area, but New England is more of a standard geographical name than a nickname. (Not that "The Golden State" isn't official - does "New England" have any official status to justify its sounding more formal?)

I guess it's a gray area, but New England is more of a standard geographical name than a nickname. (Not that "The Golden State" isn't official - does "New England" have any official status to justify its sounding more formal?)

It'd be more official because the region is widely accepted as New England whereas Golden State is the state nickname for just California.

I'm trying to thing of other regions/states that could also use location nicknames ... Orange County, Bay State, what else?

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

It'd be more official because the region is widely accepted as New England whereas Golden State is the state nickname for just California.

I'm trying to thing of other regions/states that could also use location nicknames ... Orange County, Bay State, what else?

America's Finest City Padres of course!

I wouldn't mind California Warriors

I don't know why they didn't go to Oakland Warriors when they renovated the Coliseum. Heck, I still think they should move to San Jose. The San Jose Warriors isn't a bad name either.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Wasn't the whole "Capital Bullets" thing 'cause of the move to the Capital Center?

If memory serves me, it was only partly that. I believe Abe Pollin also wanted to market the Bullets as a regional (i.e., Baltimore-Washington) team and thought the name Washington Bullets would alienate Baltimore fans.

The name was changed the next year (1) to avoid confusion with the new Washington Capitals and (2 -- perhaps) because it was such a dumb name.

Another, albeit smaller reason they went with the regional name was that the team played the first month of their home schedule at Cole Field House at the University of Maryland. Maryland is close to D.C, but I don't know if it's close enough to where you could say it's in Washington as compared to the Washington area.

Another, albeit smaller reason they went with the regional name was that the team played the first month of their home schedule at Cole Field House at the University of Maryland. Maryland is close to D.C, but I don't know if it's close enough to where you could say it's in Washington as compared to the Washington area.

College Park and Landover are about the same distance from the District.

Another regional name example -- Annapolis, Maryland's Chesapeake Bayhawks.

Chesapeake_Bayhawks_logo.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Golden State is weird but unique and established. The only acceptable change IMHO is San Francisco Warriors; anything else sounds weird or cumbersome.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

A CFL expansion franchise that was to be based out of Halifax was going to be called the Atlantic Schooners. Sadly the stadium never got built so the team never became official...

tigercatssignature-1.png

You dumb bastard, it's not a schooner, it's a sailboat.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived