Donald Sterling: Don't Bring Black People to My Games

mania

Has it yet been released whether there was any paperwork signed that allows the NBA to strip ownership from him anyway?

Without that, I just don't see how it's fair to take away property from a person. Unless this "association" has a clause that allows forcing an owner to sell, it really isn't fair, regardless of his beliefs.

It's different with a franchise vs something like a sole proprietorship. A franchise license is like being in a club. The club can kick you out. Since each franchise's success directly impacts the others, then it's certainly worth while for them to remove him.

There's bylaws and things like that that go along with being a franchise holder. The league's right to force you out is prob one of them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has it yet been released whether there was any paperwork signed that allows the NBA to strip ownership from him anyway?

Without that, I just don't see how it's fair to take away property from a person. Unless this "association" has a clause that allows forcing an owner to sell, it really isn't fair, regardless of his beliefs.

In the NBA constitution it says they can vote a member out with a 3/4 vote

He signed several moral and ethical contracts with the league during his time as owner, and his repeated PR disasters can easily be seen as a breach of those contracts. According to Article 13 of the league constitution, which states the reasons for which owners can be voted out of the league, this would probably fall under "willfully violating any of the provisions of the Constitution and By-Laws, resolutions, or agreements of the Association."

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Interesting, and exactly what I figured. So I guess the whole "You can't take something away from me because I own it" isn't true in this situation.

Like Mark Cuban said though, it is a slippery slope. All in all, I'm assuming more than 3/4ths of the owners will vote to kick him out, and I (along with the majority) will be happy about that.

Just end him already. After this the NBA owners should just hold a special session this week and strip him of ownership. Enough is enough. This bigoted dinosaur will shuffle off before long due to age, illness or both. No need to continue giving him a pulpit by allowing him to remain the owner of one of their franchises.

Adam Silver pretty much eluded to that in his apology to Magic Johnson (on behalf of the Association) that he's working on speeding up the process for Sterling's outster. The sooner, the better.

I swear, watching Donald Sterling last night was like watching the real-life Jewish version of Archie Bunker, fat gut and all. The (unintentionally) funniest part of that interview was Sterling calling Anderson Cooper a racist, and then asking Cooper did he ever like a girl and was jealous that she was with other guys. AC handled it like a pro.

He signed several moral and ethical contracts with the league during his time as owner, and his repeated PR disasters can easily be seen as a breach of those contracts. According to Article 13 of the league constitution, which states the reasons for which owners can be voted out of the league, this would probably fall under "willfully violating any of the provisions of the Constitution and By-Laws, resolutions, or agreements of the Association."

The issues are still deeper than that the NBA Constitution.

The audio link is from May 1, when Tony Kornheiser spoke to DC, white collar defense attorney Abbe Lowell who has tried cased to SCOTUS.

The first 12 minutes were specific to Sterling and due process.

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=65&c=580&f=2790773

Like Mark Cuban said though, it is a slippery slope. All in all, I'm assuming more than 3/4ths of the owners will vote to kick him out, and I (along with the majority) will be happy about that.

22 would be the magic number of owners to vote for kicking Sterling out of NBA ownership. At the top of my head, I'm trying to figure out at least seven owners who'd be stupid enough to forgive "Sterling the Weasel" and nullify the kick-out attempt. Who would be dumb enough to fall for Sterling's pathetic forgiveness attempt at this point?

Why should Magic respond to Sterling's stupid interview with Cooper? We all know Sterling is a massive bigot and just digging the hole deeper. Honestly I wouldn't care what Sterling has to say, and I just want him to GTFO.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

22 would be the magic number of owners to vote for kicking Sterling out of NBA ownership. At the top of my head, I'm trying to figure out at least seven owners who'd be stupid enough to forgive "Sterling the Weasel" and nullify the kick-out attempt. Who would be dumb enough to fall for Sterling's pathetic forgiveness attempt at this point?

I'm trying to as well.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Interesting, and exactly what I figured. So I guess the whole "You can't take something away from me because I own it" isn't true in this situation.

They can also straight up revoke a franchise, but that would probably have to be something like moving the team without permission or not paying your bills or other kinds of things that mess with the solvency of your team or the league as a whole. In this case, they're making him sell, but he still gets the money.

Well then I'm not sure how bad you'd have to be to get your franchise revoked, but I have heard that it is possible. Run out of beer on $1 beer night?

You know Donald Sterling is 80 years old I wonder with the way he is talking if he has The Alzheimers

His wife seems to think he has dementia so you may not be far off.

Well, the loss of filtering your thoughts is a symptom. However, he still seems mostly sharp (then again, in the early stages of dementia, on and off days are common).

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/05/14/nbapa-executive-lebron-james-to-lead-player-boycott-next-season-if-sterling-still-owns-clippers/

Miami Heat superstar LeBron James is willing to lead a boycott of NBA players next season if Donald Sterling still owns the Los Angeles Clippers following his racist comments.

NBA Players Association Vice President Roger Mason Jr. said that James is willing to sit at the start of the 2014-15 season if Sterling is still running the Clippers.

“I was just in the locker room 3, 4 days ago. LeBron and I talked about it – he ain’t playing if Sterling is still an owner,” Mason told “Jim Rome on Showtime.”

The full interview will air Wednesday.

popcorn_the_joker.gif

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

This is all getting rather silly. Do we need to run the new ownership of the Los Angeles Clippers by LeBron James for his approval, too?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

“I was just in the locker room 3, 4 days ago. LeBron and I talked about it – he ain’t playing if Sterling is still an owner,” Mason told “Jim Rome on Showtime.”

The full interview will air Wednesday.

“Jim Rome is a good guy, and I may not have been clear when I responded to his question, so let me clear it up. Jim asked me about guys playing next season if Sterling remained an owner. I mentioned I spoke to LBJ as I speak to many players. My bad if I was not clear. LBJ never said anything about boycotting. He's a friend, and I would never want to imply something he didn't say. The bottom line is that our commissioner, team owners, fans, players, and the world all agree that there is no place for racism in our league." - Roger Mason Jr.
So the good news is that there's no special reason for anyone to watch Jim Rome's show.

PJU85JF.png

People still tune in to Jim Rome's shows?

As far as the ownership situation, I firmly believe that this thing will get settled perhaps after the Finals, but before the Draft. The Board of Governors see the urgency to get the Sterlings out ASAP.

Archived