The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

A blizzard is in the Long Island forecast for Monday and Tuesday. The Islanders are supposed to host the Rangers on Tuesday night. Both teams are off Wednesday and have home games on Thursday so it would make a lot of sense to postpone the game until Wednesday night.

So it will be played as scheduled, blizzard or not, on Tuesday because the NHL is dumb.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A blizzard is in the Long Island forecast for Monday and Tuesday.

Theyuh's nawt gonna be any snow, okay? okay? People just don't wawnna go tuh work. okay? now waitaseckin. waitaseckin. I checked the weathuh and Lawn Guyland is only supposed to get some rain. Theyuh nawt cancelling any hawkey. okay? But even if they did no one would cayuh. Because it's just hawkey. No one cayuhs. Back aftuh dis.

nevr 4get

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Does Lon Guyland get a lot of snow? It would be pretty foolish to postpone the game before the storm even happens unless they're really, really, really sure. You never know how it's gonna go. Doing it Tuesday morning is still plenty of time.

When the Sabres are good enough to at least think about the playoffs again, I really think the Sabres and Leafs should do an outdoor game every year or every couple of years. The Leafs have more ticket demand than they do supply. The Sabres have more demand for Leafs tickets than they do supply. They could alternate between the Bills' stadium and Rogers and/or BMO Field. Stadium games aren't special anymore; the bloom is off the rose. It's just about making money at this point, and I think there's money to be made. Split the cost of a portable ice-making setup between the two teams and do it Raiders-style, without league approval.

The latest National Weather Service update had LI and NYC getting 20-30 inches. Waiting for Tuesday morning to postpone it is fine. But we've had a few blizzards the last few years where county and state officials said to stay off the roads and the NHL had them play anyway over the Islanders' objections. But there's really no excuse to play this time if it's as bad as they say it will be.

Opponents would likely be Ottawa or Montreal if the NHL wants to put together an actually decent game. However, with Montreal hosting the Winter Classic next year, it's unlikely that they'd participate again that soon; and Jim Watson wants Ottawa to host a heritage classic at TD Place sometime in the next few years as well so that could put a dent in any WC bid. Buffalo could be in the mix if they get a top-2 draft pick this year and it pans out that quickly, as I bet the league would be eager to show off it's young talent, but that's basically assuming McDavid/Eichel has a rookie season the likes of Crosby/Ovechkin. Winnipeg could be a good pick as well if young players like Scheifele, Hutchinson, Ehlers, Trouba and Petan as well as the existing core can make the Jets into a contender in the Central or at least close to one by that time; plus they could bring back the old Jets sweaters. Not to mention it would be Canada's 150th as well, so having two Canadian teams shouldn't really be out of the picture.

Either way, a Boston - Montreal WC followed by Toronto - Ottawa/Buffalo/Winnipeg could be the jumpstart that really makes the WC relevant again.

I really hope, other than Boston, that they stay away from the NBC-7 for the next couple of Winter Classics. I'm not sure I could get excited for a Toronto - Pittsburgh/Chicago WC that much, even in the centennial.

Montreal isn't hosting, Boston is. There absolutely needs to be an outdoor game in Toronto or Montreal, but there's really no venue. Rogers' Centre is a terrible stadium. For hockey, baseball, football, anything really. Montreal's got nothing other than Molson Stadium which only holds 25,000.

sig.png

It's been three years since we had one of these things so I forgot how truly boring the actual All Star game is. It's like the worst event of the entire weekend.

Also, Bobrovsky is out 4-6 with a groin injury. :censored: this season forever.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Do you think it was actually a blessing in disguise for the Flyers by getting rid of him? I liked him a lot here in Philadelphia but it seems as though he gets hurt pretty often.

Do you think it was actually a blessing in disguise for the Flyers by getting rid of him? I liked him a lot here in Philadelphia but it seems as though he gets hurt pretty often.

If you prefer Steve "Tarran Noah Smith" Mason, sure!

PvO6ZWJ.png

If you prefer Steve "Tarran Noah Smith" Mason, sure!

Well not really. But the Flyers are going nowhere fast anyway.

Why is there talk of a Canadian city hosting the Winter Classic?

If it's in Canada, it's a Heritage Classic. If it's in the US, it's a Winter Classic. It's that simple.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

With his contract, I can't imagine anyone's going to claim Mike Richards. It would've been a hard sell, maybe, to use a compliance on Richards after the Cup, but that was LA's last chance to ditch that contract and they didn't take it. It was an obvious mistake.

(weird how the surname "Richards" and the words "vastly overpaid" have become synonyms in hockey circles.)

spacer.png

Why is there talk of a Canadian city hosting the Winter Classic?

If it's in Canada, it's a Heritage Classic. If it's in the US, it's a Winter Classic. It's that simple.

It should be, but it's not. The league's three-tier system for outdoor games which includes the "we'll host it whenever the hell we want to" Heritage Classic series and the "we'll host however many of these we want to" Stadium Series along with the regularly-scheduled Winter Classic creates a total mess. As does the "NBC7 for the Winter Classic (usually), Canadian teams for the Heritage Classic, and Western Conference American teams for the Stadium Series (usually)" classification system.

In other words, league's most popular team celebrating its centennial = spot in the league's premiere outdoor game, precedents for participants be damned.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

It's not like Winter Classic = US, Heritage Classic = Canada are generations old traditions. They haven't been doing this long enough for those to be deadset rules. They're allowed to switch up their verbiage anyway they choose. Plus, a Canadian team has already played in a Winter Classic.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived