Article on Ducks' 2007 rebrand

Bluefalcon

Yeah nothing good about those. Even wild wing was better. Too many stripes, bad number font, too many stripes, stripes that have to be intersected by the TV numbers out of necessity, black pants, helmets, gloves for some reason, and dazzle fabric everywhere. Not a good look.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mighty Ducks wore black equipment for a couple years and I remember reading somewhere it was because the equipment suppliers (or something like that) changed and they didn't have the eggplant material readily available.

And the Jack Ferreira interview from a couple months ago could back that up because he said Disney had to get and send the eggplant fabric out for equipment themselves when the Ducks first started.

IbjBaeE.png

Top left = Duckaslug.

Their 2007 set had a crappy wordmark, a chunky font, and drab colour usage, but the striping was good. Their current set finally embraces the "D" (which I happen to love), fixed the font, and is more colourful, but the new templates are so awful it makes the switch nothing more than a lateral move.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

To be honest, I never saw anything wrong with the Mighty Duck sets (except for the WildWing alt, of course). In fact, they were one of my favorites in the league. They were great, clean sweaters with a solid color scheme that still worked well into the 2000's, despite it being a product of the 90's.

I also don't get the whole "Disney!! Gah! Childish!" flak it ever got, either. People act like they slapped Barney or Mickey Mouse onto the sweater or something. I don't feel that was the case. The logo itself was still a very good, professional logo, not to mention quite iconic. It had some cartoonish element to it, yes, but not nearly enough to make it too childish for professional sports. There's far more cartoonish logos across the sports world that don't get near the slap-around the duck mask gets sometimes.

I liked the duck mask logo. And I tend not to like campy things (like dolphins wearing helmets).

For me it was the name: "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim." I thought that was awful and far more "Mickey Mouse" than the logos/colors/uniforms. I did not like the colors and looking at pictures of the old uniforms does give me a "90s" feeling. But they could have kept the look and become the "Anaheim Ducks" and I'd have been OK with it.

Were the Ducks the first "team name of location" formulation?

If we're polling, I'm another fan of the webbed D. The initial 2007 refresh was way too sterile and businesslike for a team called the Ducks. It took all the mirth away from a one-time fun team. They're not all the way back, but better.

There might be one earlier, but Spirits of St. Louis would probably be first. Though that was ABA and not NBA.

3. Change the team name to either the Los Angeles Ducks or California Ducks (Anaheim really?).

Anaheim is fine, LA already has a team and California has 3.

Maybe they should just switch to California Ducks of Los Angeles, currently situated at the Hondaâ„¢ Centre, Anaheim, CA

Cool picture. I spy the Phoenix 3rd template there. I don't think I'd ever seen a gold Ducks jersey either.

I still think going away from their original color palette was an aesthetic downgrade.

Yeah nothing good about those. Even wild wing was better. Too many stripes, bad number font, too many stripes, stripes that have to be intersected by the TV numbers out of necessity, black pants, helmets, gloves for some reason, and dazzle fabric everywhere. Not a good look.

I like them better than the diagonal stripes. Just take the middle stripe out of the shoulder stripes. The numbers are just good old Futura, nice and legible.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Mighty Ducks wore black equipment for a couple years and I remember reading somewhere it was because the equipment suppliers (or something like that) changed and they didn't have the eggplant material readily available.

And the Jack Ferreira interview from a couple months ago could back that up because he said Disney had to get and send the eggplant fabric out for equipment themselves when the Ducks first started.

You sure about this? I think you're thinking about the avalanche.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

You sure about this? I think you're thinking about the avalanche.
No, I remember the Ducks being in the conversation.

IbjBaeE.png

I think the worst part of the Mighty Ducks brand was the inconsistency in outline width. The webbed D is fantastic, and if used correctly, it would be a newer classic logo like the Flaming C. Kinda a shame the swoosh jersey they originally wore got phased out.

The current look is a step up from the drab blandness of the 2007 rebrand, but they're still held back by one of the most hideous color combinations in sports. Change the black to green and vegas gold to athletic gold, and they'd have a far more attractive (and duck-like) palette.

Archived