2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

On 2016-10-15 at 7:23 PM, Eric Westhaver said:

I wish we saw more jerseys with crew-necks. There's not enough variety with collars on hockey jerseys.

Try one with a turtleneck. Or a polo-neck with buttons. There's variety with collars on soccer jerseys - why not bring that on the ice?

How about the Washington Capitals create a new alternate with a polo neck, a new jersey that gives a nod to their DC United MLS franchise. Or if not the Caps, how about some other city with low attendance that has a wide enough soccer fanbase because why not? :)

Maybe it's a bad idea, considering they only used those collars once. But the potential creative concepts could be fun to see, if done right.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Avs have 2 Borques (Rene and Gabriel), but I'm pretty sure that neither have their first initial on their nameplate.  Is it a rule that first initial be specified if last names are the same?  

Also weird:  R Bourque wore 24 and an "A" in the preseason, but didn't keep either!  Now he's 17.

2 minutes ago, _RH_ said:

The Avs have 2 Borques (Rene and Gabriel), but I'm pretty sure that neither have their first initial on their nameplate.  Is it a rule that first initial be specified if last names are the same?  

Also weird:  R Bourque wore 24 and an "A" in the preseason, but didn't keep either!  Now he's 17.

I can't really explain why he changed his number, maybe he wanted too, I don't know...

But I know that in a lot of preseason games most of the young guys and prospects will play. There'll be captains and alternate captains chosen as well. Those aren't really permanent for the season, as the line-up regulars will get the normal letters, but they get chosen just to have captains in the preseason. I know that in the first preseason game for the Wild, they chose Scandella, Stewart, and Carter as the A's. These guys were likely to make it through camp, have played in the NHL before, and were the leaders in the locker room which was full of mostly young players. This was probably the same for Rene...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

16 minutes ago, _RH_ said:

Does the NHL have that rule?  The NFL doesn't.  Teams can use initials but don't have to.   Witness Aaron and Richard Rodgers:

56687df63ac70.image.jpg

I finally saw one of these Penguins 50th anniversary t-shirts in person, and I immediately noticed that the number font was wrong. They're using the 1968-72 font on the back and the 1967-68 logo on the front. Yet again the Penguins continue to ignore that this set of jerseys ever existed. 

pit16a-tshirt.png

9446550.jpg?330

But they used it on the Winter Classic jersey/third jersey

0913-pit11w-crosby.png?token=NrEmAeBSI%2

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Does the NHL have that rule?  The NFL doesn't.  Teams can use initials but don't have to.   Witness Aaron and Richard Rodgers:

56687df63ac70.image.jpg

The NHL does not have an initial rule. I remember a story several years ago about the Ducks and their decision to not use initials when the Niedermayers played there.

Remember the one season the NFL not only had an initial rule, but decreed that if two players on a team had the same last name and same first initial, they had to wear their full first and last names on their backs? Yeah, that went well.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

7 hours ago, _RH_ said:

Rene Bourque only joined the Avalanche on a tryout this season, so either he just took whatever number they gave him or somebody else was wearing 17 during the pre-season.  After making the team, he made the switch, which seems to be his favourite number.  He wore it in Calgary and Montreal.  This happens a lot, usually with rookies given high numbers, then switching to something a little more "normal" when they make the team.

Found an old article about players with the same name.  In their first season in the WHA, every single player on the Oilers had their full name on their back.  They should do that for the Heritage Classic, just to be a little different from their current 3rds.

12 hours ago, hockey week said:

I finally saw one of these Penguins 50th anniversary t-shirts in person, and I immediately noticed that the number font was wrong. They're using the 1968-72 font on the back and the 1967-68 logo on the front. Yet again the Penguins continue to ignore that this set of jerseys ever existed. 

pit16a-tshirt.png

I think this is intentional. Obviously the block font looks a lot better than the rounded font.

If anything it's a hint of an actual jersey they'll wear this season/

I will buy any Devils poster he makes that has a Sopranos reference. Taylor Hall sitting on the Coyotes logo, he must have crawled under there for warmth!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

12 hours ago, charger77 said:

MNS.jpg

50 years of the Stars would at least make sense.  I think Dallas dropped the ball by skipping out on the 50th-anniversary celebration.  While the team certainly re-located cities, they kept the team name and identity (more or less) intact.  A roundel saying '50 years of 'Stars' hockey' with both the Northstars and original St^rs logos would be ideal.

Archived