2016 CFL Uniforms

docrocket

I will add this to my opinions: While many of the uniforms, IMO, have been major misses, one thing that I am at least grateful for (and slightly feared beforehand) is that the CFL didn't incorporate the three-stripe design in any of the uniforms (the adidas logo on the upper back area notwithstanding). Gives me a bit of hope for the NHL in a couple years.....

That said, the lack of TV numbers on a few of the uniforms also kinda bothers me.

UBwef0L.png

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, johnnysama said:

I will add this to my opinions: While many of the uniforms, IMO, have been major misses, one thing that I am at least grateful for (and slightly feared beforehand) is that the CFL didn't incorporate the three-stripe design in any of the uniforms (the adidas logo on the upper back area notwithstanding).

That said, the lack of TV numbers on a few of the uniforms also kinda bothers me.

The lack of TV numbers bothers me too. Definitely glad and honestly pleasantly surprised to see a lack of the "3-Stripes".

Basically the theme of this thread is... "If it isn't a retro, Adidas ruined it!"

I think BC is the only one that looks bad.

Every other team is alright.

Some people live in the past too much.

I have no sense for the history of the teams so I can't evaluate these with any context, but I actually really like the BC set.  I think they pulled off that helmet well, as opposed to other teams (NCAA) that have tried the oversized-logo gimmick.

I'm not a fan of having more than one helmet, as I think that the helmet should serve as an icon for the team and it really can't if there's more than one, but considering that multiple helmets seems to have been a requirement, I think they did a nice job.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

BC's biggest problem is the awful cartoony logo.. That's been their biggest aesthetic weakness for as long as I can remember.. They're the one team that I think would've benefited from a matte helmet (the black one) and less chrome-y logo, but I think their orange jersey/black helmet set actually looks ok..

Montreal's dumpster fire uniforms are no better or worse than before, since it's the exact same, but they desperately need to fix some issues within that set.. Simply losing the jersey side panel would allow them to leave the helmet and  pants as-is.. 

Calgary and Ottawa are a bit too similar for my taste, but apart from that (and the pants hashtag), I have no real issues with either.. Ottawa missed a big opportunity to go plaid with the sleeves, which is why the two look so similar, but Calgary's other option was basically to look like Montreal as a red/silver  team.. They should go red helmet / red primary jersey and Ottawa should go black/black primarily, but plaid sleeves would've helped this situation..

Edmonton has the worst striping inconsistencies ever.. They may look a lot like green bay, but they're the Dallas Cowboys of the CFL.. I can appreciate the simplified shoulder striping and the versatility that gives them in other areas with striping, but pick one pattern for goodness sakes, at least for same-colored items such as yellow helmet and yellow pants..

Toronto and Hamilton both look pretty much the same (and very much as they should), so they're a wash.

Saskatchewan is a bit interesting though.. I think the uniforms, as a whole, are pretty sharp, but I think there are issues with the details.. They have a 49ers thing going on with the black in the logo, but insist on going full retro elsewhere with green/white only, so that makes the logo's presence a bit jarring.. I also think the shoulder stripes are poorly executed, but Adidas gave up on producing decent shoulder stripes years ago, so what can you expect..

All-in-all, I think it's a decent overall move for the CFL.. The jersey sponsors and bad logos are a bigger distraction for me than any of the uniform elements, so I'm not too bothered by it.

1 hour ago, HailGoldPants said:

So does Calgary actually have 3 helmets (1 Red and 2 black)?  One the black helmets appears to be matte finish.

I thought Toronto did too but I was later looking at a gallery online (I believe it was on facebook) that showed the do not, It might just be the lighting. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

58 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

BC's biggest problem is the awful cartoony logo.. That's been their biggest aesthetic weakness for as long as I can remember.. They're the one team that I think would've benefited from a matte helmet (the black one) and less chrome-y logo, but I think their orange jersey/black helmet set actually looks ok..

Montreal's dumpster fire uniforms are no better or worse than before, since it's the exact same, but they desperately need to fix some issues within that set.. Simply losing the jersey side panel would allow them to leave the helmet and  pants as-is.. 

Calgary and Ottawa are a bit too similar for my taste, but apart from that (and the pants hashtag), I have no real issues with either.. Ottawa missed a big opportunity to go plaid with the sleeves, which is why the two look so similar, but Calgary's other option was basically to look like Montreal as a red/silver  team.. They should go red helmet / red primary jersey and Ottawa should go black/black primarily, but plaid sleeves would've helped this situation..

Edmonton has the worst striping inconsistencies ever.. They may look a lot like green bay, but they're the Dallas Cowboys of the CFL.. I can appreciate the simplified shoulder striping and the versatility that gives them in other areas with striping, but pick one pattern for goodness sakes, at least for same-colored items such as yellow helmet and yellow pants..

Toronto and Hamilton both look pretty much the same (and very much as they should), so they're a wash.

Saskatchewan is a bit interesting though.. I think the uniforms, as a whole, are pretty sharp, but I think there are issues with the details.. They have a 49ers thing going on with the black in the logo, but insist on going full retro elsewhere with green/white only, so that makes the logo's presence a bit jarring.. I also think the shoulder stripes are poorly executed, but Adidas gave up on producing decent shoulder stripes years ago, so what can you expect..

All-in-all, I think it's a decent overall move for the CFL.. The jersey sponsors and bad logos are a bigger distraction for me than any of the uniform elements, so I'm not too bothered by it.

Ottawa adding a hash tag to the pants is the biggest disappointment of this entire set. You're a pro football team, not something that should be trending on Twitter. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 hours ago, HailGoldPants said:

So does Calgary actually have 3 helmets (1 Red and 2 black)?  One the black helmets appears to be matte finish.

The matte black Calgary helmet is actually half matte black, half metallic red with a chrome silver decal (think Jaguars).  It debuted last year or 2014 (i.e, it's not new).

BvfJ_elCYAAp2nm.png:large

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 hours ago, Nook said:

Basically the theme of this thread is... "If it isn't a retro, Adidas ruined it!"

I think BC is the only one that looks bad.

Every other team is alright.

Some people live in the past too much.

When you have a retro jersey as good as Saskatchewan does and continue to produce jerseys with side panels and monochrome uniforms, you can't expect people not to be a little disappointed. Same with Edmonton, all they had to do was match their white jersey with their last green jersey, and clean the striping up a bit and they went back to the 2000's instead, and I can't believe the Eskimos are continuing to wear that awful Signature Jersey. The Eskimos have it on their website in the new Adidas template as a joke, right?

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

The matte black Calgary helmet is actually half matte black, half metallic red with a chrome silver decal (think Jaguars).  It debuted last year or 2014 (i.e, it's not new).

It's still alive? 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I want to hate it but I love it!

IxkieML.png

After letting them sink in a bit-

BC--I like it overall, but would like more consistency between home & away.  Personally I'd go with the black helmet & pants for both home & away--and keep the jerseys for both-maybe adding a touch of black to the roads.

Calgary--Big improvement--although, like others, I'd dump the black helmet. But I am happy to see red numbers back, I really missed those.-- I like the third helmet though.  Keep it for use with the third jersey.

Edmonton--I know it's different, but it feels more like a tweak to me. It's not bad, but they should go to an actual green & gold, instead of a green & yellow.

Saskatchewan--better, but not as big a change as I though of initially-but it is simpler and that helps.  It could still use some tweaks, but it is better.

Winnipeg, much better--I like that style--it suits them, and is closer to some of the older Looks I like.

Toronto--it's okay--not a lot better or worse than what they had--and it looks cool enough.

Hamilton--I like it--simple, but it says Tiger Cats.

Ottawa--the stripes look better-although it would be nice to see more difference between them & the Stamps--just another reason the Stamps should cut down on black. (Although with red numbers on the roads--the Stamps have moved that way.)

Montreal--all I can think of is--it's a mess. Nothing lines up or matches well.  Great colour scheme with so much they could & should have done.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

BC- I dig the helmets, and the jerseys are ok. Some white trim/white pants would help. The road look could use some black trim.

Calgary- I said it earlier, I want to see the Stamps go back to being a red and silver team with black trim. The red and black scheme is too played out, and should probably be left to Ottawa to own at this point. The numbers are neat though. Kill the all black look with fire.

Edmonton- Perfect. Don't change what isn't broken. And good job losing those terrible side panels on the road.

Hamilton- I'm glad the jerseys are remaining relatively untouched, but the commitment to the black pants sucks. Road games won't look too terrible, but the black jerseys looked so good with the gold pants. Now we're stuck with this monochrome black nonsense.

Montreal- I get that the Als want to think of their uniforms as the Canadiens' red sweaters of the CFL but they're really not. It's time to ditch the mismatched mess and retire the super-aggressive 90s mascot logo.

Ottawa- The shared template with Saskatchewan is neat in a meta Roughriders/Rough Riders sort of way, but still looks cheap. And hey, they doubled down on that cheapness with a Twitter hashtag on the pants. Fantastic. Good job Redblacks. You found a way to make the Browns' new uniforms look classy and restrained by comparison.

Saskatchewan- I don't know why they felt the need to keep the side panels...it's nice and clean enough I guess, but the awesome throwbacks are sitting right there. 

Toronto- They had the best look in the CFL prior to this redesign, so thankfully they kept changes to a minimal. They still look fantastic.

Winnipeg- Knocked it out of the park. I even like the blue shoulders/yoke they added to the road design. It's different, keeps things fresh, but doesn't take away from the overall look of the uniform. Plus it has a bit of an aviation vibe, which works for them for obvious reasons.

All in all another typical CFL league-wide unveiling. A few standouts, a huge misstep, and lots of mediocrity.

21 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Ok. That's better.

Still a bit of a downgrade but yes, much better having that yellow option. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I guess they all could've been a lot worse.

BC - new helmet logo actually looks boring to me.  I may have a slight bias as I've always loved the Lions helmets no matter which one - silver, white, & even the paw one.  Has to be the lone team in the world where a full rotation of all of them I'd be ok with.  I guess the new one seems quite collegiate.  

Ottawa - I think they're ahead of the curve with the hashtag, I could see dozens of franchises with them by the end of the decade.  Raptors #wethenorth could easily fit small on their shorts waist or trim.  

Toronto - love the clean away whites, & I like the 'Argonauts' marked home blues.  I think 'Argos' should only be used casually, & not on any apparel or branding.

Calgary - at least they didn't go all black helmets.  They've been one of the worst black for black's sake culprits.  They're red, embrace it.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Archived